cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good size for a 5th wheel trailer?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
To be more clear, what is the longest length 5th wheel you can get that will still be suitable for majority of the camp sites in US and Canada? As an example, does 32ft and 34ft (box sizes) trailers make any difference? How about 36 and 38ft?

Since I'm only interested in full-time capable trailers, I don't think there's anything suitable below 32ft.
41 REPLIES 41

realter
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Mine is a 32' with rear entrance and will not do that again. Personal preference.

Just curious, is it the length 32' or the rear entrance, that you wouldn't do again? Are you saying 32' is too long or too short? Thanks.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
That would be good news!

JusSayin
Explorer
Explorer
Last week (5/22/13) a sales rep at an RV dealer near Kansas City, MO told me Nuwa was out of production. Later I called their 800#. The receptionist told me they were alive and well. I visited Nuwa Industries in Chanute Kansas on Wednesday (5/29/13) and discovered that Hitchhikers were, in fact, still being produced.

(EDIT::) I'm sorely misstaken. My eyes deceived me. The following passage is an e-mail from Nuwa, in response to my query about their future:

"Its true. We are moving toward a retail business model representing
other brands and servicing/selling used hitchhikers. We hope to have a
private label brand produced for us by another manufacturer. The last
hitchhiker built by our company left left the factory doors."

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
45'
HR

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Nu-wa actually still has a service facility.

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Nuwa still has leftover new inventory on the website link. They are a well-made 5th, but are not producing any more units.

Just out of curiosity, if a company goes down, and if you still need (out of warranty) repair, where do you do them? Do any RV dealers repair any brands of trailers?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Nuwa still has leftover new inventory on the website link. They are a well-made 5th, but are not producing any more units.

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to join RV Consumer Group. They've been rating RVs for twenty years. They rate on "use" (treking, vacation, snowbirding, fulltiming, etc.) as well as "reliability" (based on consumer surveys), "value" (not just on cost but for what you get for what you're paying) and "overall star rating" (from one star up to five stars).

I found some things that were very interesting.
It's all about the journey...not the destination!

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
Has the Nuwa situation changed at all? Last time I checked, they were on the brink of going down. I do admit they have floorplans that would work and I don't question their quality either.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Acei wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I would suggest 25-33' is the sweet spot unless you are going to snowbird (where bigger is better).

If you will be moving on a regular basis, manuvering is important and giant rigs are more hassle than they are worth. It drives up the costs and limits your options.

I think this does makes sense. Initially, we will be full-timing with lots of frequent travel. Eventually, we will probably snowbird.

With what I have read, I think I will stick to one of the following:

- 32ft Mobile Suite
- 31ft Excel
- 32ft Lifestyle

Looks like we will have to avoid small and tight sites. We don't mind driving around a little to get to where we want to hike/shop/etc, so I think this will work out ok as some have mentioned already here.

Dont count out NU-WA we looked at a very nice unit that size not far from you (can am rv in london), high end and very stoutly built
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I would suggest 25-33' is the sweet spot unless you are going to snowbird (where bigger is better).

If you will be moving on a regular basis, manuvering is important and giant rigs are more hassle than they are worth. It drives up the costs and limits your options.

I think this does makes sense. Initially, we will be full-timing with lots of frequent travel. Eventually, we will probably snowbird.

With what I have read, I think I will stick to one of the following:

- 32ft Mobile Suite
- 31ft Excel
- 32ft Lifestyle

Looks like we will have to avoid small and tight sites. We don't mind driving around a little to get to where we want to hike/shop/etc, so I think this will work out ok as some have mentioned already here.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have rig in sig we fulltime and stay in state/federal parks FS and ACE parks and have always found a site, sometimes only one or two, other times we had our choice. Are there like facilities that we can't fit or get to without risking damage, sure but we check out campgrounds on reserve america, or state reservation websites, and RV Park reviews.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 32' with rear entrance and will not do that again. Personal preference.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS