cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good size for a 5th wheel trailer?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
To be more clear, what is the longest length 5th wheel you can get that will still be suitable for majority of the camp sites in US and Canada? As an example, does 32ft and 34ft (box sizes) trailers make any difference? How about 36 and 38ft?

Since I'm only interested in full-time capable trailers, I don't think there's anything suitable below 32ft.
41 REPLIES 41

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd echo some of the earlier statements that the "RV Resorts" and "peace and quiet" are not mutually exclusive. Quite honestly, I've found that some of the high-end "RV Resorts" were more quiet than several state parks, particularly surrounding holidays.

My geographic experience was fairly limited to many states in the south (TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, VA) and those that one might hit going between TX and CO (TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT), but I pulled a 39' 5th wheel (nose to back bumper actual measurement) and could always find a place to camp. Not always a rustic seashore or mountainside nature retreat, but always a place to park the trailer that was within easy drive of the activities I wanted to do: hiking & (for the DW) photography.

At the end of the day, we gave up the 5th wheel because: a) it was time to return to God's country (AK); and b) I was tired of shoehorning it into a storage space that only had 12" to spare. If I had a pull-through or 3' of extra width, I'd have that trailer today.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Went from truck campers to a 34' FW, then a 40' FW and now have the sig brand that comes in under 32'and feel a lot more comfortable pulling it. The floor plan in the present one makes it feel as roomy as the 40 footer. Wish I would have hung onto one of the TC's for weekend trips to the mountains. Bigger aint always better for everyone.

I have to agree....I've been a couple of places already where the 27' is almost to big (the Burlington Campground in Humboldt Redwoods State Park)..... http://www.afnash.com/showthread.php?11770-A-tour-through-the-redwoods-of-Nor-Cal-and-the-Richardson-Grove-RV-Park&p=95380&viewfull=1#post95380

You can do a google search for "Burlington Campground, Humboldt Redwood State Park".

But then you're not going to find any hook ups there, either. That's why they call it boondocking. More affordable and much more enjoyable than a commercial RV park. This is the real woods and you're right in it....in every sense of the word.
It's all about the journey...not the destination!

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oops! Doubled up.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
We are the type who likes to hike a lot and I like taking pictures as well. I doubt we will ever go to resort type of places. Mildly curious why you think hiking and photography and RV resorts are mutually exclusive?? Unless you're seriously into boondocking which you aren't because then you wouldn't asking about maximum length in parks) I think you'd be making a mistake staying away from RV resorts.

Imagine passing up a really nice 34' 5er and picking a 28' RV to fit into provincial parks when you could have stayed 5km down the road in a nice RV park. You don't HAVE to go to bingo if you don't want to.

But then I'm biased - mine's 42'6"

X2, as you have suggested, pick an RV park that gives you the maximum number of choices and options based on an individual's life style and interests:)

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went from truck campers to a 34' FW, then a 40' FW and now have the sig brand that comes in under 32'and feel a lot more comfortable pulling it. The floor plan in the present one makes it feel as roomy as the 40 footer. Wish I would have hung onto one of the TC's for weekend trips to the mountains. Bigger aint always better for everyone.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have been FULLTIMING for 2 years. Started I a 40' cardinal fiver. Down sized to
a 36' Hitchhiker. Ma e have been a little hasty down sizing.. When is say FULLTIMING
I mean we sold the house at the same time 2 years ago. Never had a problem getting into any parks. Course we won't go to any that don't have 50 amp. Or sewer
Hookup.. To each there own.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
You want peace and quiet?
get as far from T.O. as you can ,my minium is 4 hours drive time.The parks closer are being 'loved to death'
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Acei wrote:
We are the type who likes to hike a lot and I like taking pictures as well. I doubt we will ever go to resort type of places.
Mildly curious why you think hiking and photography and RV resorts are mutually exclusive?? Unless you're seriously into boondocking (which you aren't because then you wouldn't asking about maximum length in parks) I think you'd be making a mistake staying away from RV resorts.

Imagine passing up a really nice 34' 5er and picking a 28' RV to fit into provincial parks when you could have stayed 5km down the road in a nice RV park. You don't HAVE to go to bingo if you don't want to.

But then I'm biased - mine's 42'6" 🙂

I am talking without any RV experience so I could be totally off.

We have been tent camping for a very long time. I'm personally not picky so I don't really mind where we stay but my wife seems to prefer more remote and quiet places to stay. Perhaps these RV parks are still peacefully quiet - without experiences, its hard for me to say.

What we know for sure is that we will probably hike every day for couple of hours minimum. We tend to tackle scenic places even if it is challenging to get there. We don't mind driving some distance to get there. As long as this is feasible, we are ok.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Acei
Why dont you take a drive though the Provincal parks near Toronto? Have a look at the units using the campground,I have seen rear engine MH among the pop ups.
Bear in mind the bigger you are the less spaces to choose from ,but most parks have room for 36+ 'ers
just not every site,so if you want unlimited choice .........tent.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Acei wrote:
We are the type who likes to hike a lot and I like taking pictures as well. I doubt we will ever go to resort type of places.
Mildly curious why you think hiking and photography and RV resorts are mutually exclusive?? Unless you're seriously into boondocking (which you aren't because then you wouldn't asking about maximum length in parks) I think you'd be making a mistake staying away from RV resorts.

But then I'm biased - mine's 42'6" 🙂

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know of any state parks that have pads.....where is that? I need to get out and travel more.

Here in the west we have forests and it's not necessarily a matter of the length of the site (although you may have trees at the end of that 30' space), but the roads leading in and out are narrow, tight turns and trees right up next to the road.

By the way, my Fox Mountain 235RLS is actually 27' long. An RV salesman told me that originally the model number indicated the length but at some point the mfgs. started using smaller model numbers for insurance purposes.
It's all about the journey...not the destination!

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

ryhed
Explorer
Explorer
When I looked for mine I would not accept anything under 26'. 30' seems to be the limiting factor to tight spaces when boondocking. Mine is 32' end to end 1 slide. it's perfect for 2-3 adults or two adults and 3 kids. Here is the exact one I have, 30' coachmen catalina gsx. It's listed as a 28 but it is really 30' with my extended pinbox and rear bumper it actually measures 32'.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 30' max in many parks does not mean a whole lot. I have been in many, other thn CA, where I can stuff my almost 36' LOA into a site somewhere. The restriction is that the pad length is only 30'. So what! Back the wheels up to the end of the site. If the back hangs into space & the stabilizers are are unusable, who cares?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
I see... This is all very informative.

Also, when we talk about 30ft trailers, are we talking about the box length or from the latch to the rear bumper? A 32ft Mobile Suit actually measures 33.8ft. I would guess that you will need a trailer with the actual length of 30ft?

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
If you did manage to crowd a Mobile Suites into a state or federal campground how long do you think you're going to stay carrying out your sewage in a little blue sewer caddy? With possibly not enough voltage to power your air conditioner? A state park near me doesn't even have water at the sites.

Mobile Suites. The name says it all. A suite of rooms that are mobile. Not necessarily an all terrain vehicle. It'll give you access to different areas of the country. But not every little corner.
For that I carry camping gear. A tent, camp stove, sleeping bag etc. I like to go "camp" at Cayo Costa State Park that won't accept any camper. Because it's on an island.
I asked my DW if she would like to go camping with me. She waves her arm toward our 400 square foot 5er with microwave, flat screen TV and so on and exclaims "THIS! is camping!" (OK, there are different opinions on what constitutes camping)

If you choose a full time unit that is too small just to fit into some of the smaller sites you'll get a case of buyers remorse that'll give you sleepless nights. With a full size camper you'll have plenty of access to parks. Unhitch the truck! Tow a Harley! Personally, I pack my touring kayak with a few days worth of food & gear and I'm off! Or leave on my touring bicycle for a day.

Even if you get into a park you can bet you're not going to be camped right at the trailhead. The riding stables will be on the other side of the lake. What are you going to do? The same as if you were parked somewhere with full hookups. Get into your vehicle and go there.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock