cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the procedure for buying a fifth wheel?

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are looking to buy our first RV and are very excited! We have decided that a fifth wheel would give our family the most space. We have been looking around and see a few that we like.

So, since we have never done this before, we are sort of clueless as to how to start the buying process.

What is the procedure?

Thanks! We can use all the help that we can get!
34 REPLIES 34

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Robert and Patsy wrote:
I'm sure you would think of this, but We did not. When you get down to three or four choices look at them with the slides in. Reason!!! can you get to the Refrig, bed, etc. for that Quick stop at a rest area or WalMart parking lot.

good point.. we were down to the Montana 3900FB or the Alpine 3720FB.
more kitchen cabinets/storage/usable space in the alpine, but the fridge is blocked. but I can open one slide easily, so not a big deal.
you cannot move around in either with the slides closed.

the 1/2 bath in each was a key because of our pets.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

LastOfTheBohica
Explorer
Explorer
I would also think about the width of the fifth wheel once all the slides are deployed and the length.

We are no longer able to go to some of our favourite NP because our unit is too wide and too long.

It also causes some other issues. We can't always deploy our awning as it is shifted forward on the curb side of the trailer.
Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/11/03/149912.html

We have a 2003 Duramax diesel 3/4 ton and a 36' 5th wheel @13,000lbs. Dry I was reading all this and thinking Wow I dont have enough truck to pull my 5th wheel, that I have been towing for 5 years! I pulled up the link and chevy 3/4 looks to be rated at 16,000lbs for a 5th wheel. The motors are all the same in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks That being said we are looking to get a 1-ton diesel dually. Mostly because we Tow livestock and tractors also.
Just because you have done it OK so far does not make it right!
You are WAY over payload rating for that truck and (more importantly) probably over RAWR as well.
I recommend the OP does NOT go down this road!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Excellent suggestions from Fred......but does it have to be a ford? LOL!

Do yourself a huge favor and check out the Ford competition too! I happen to be a Ram fan but they are not for everyone...neither is the Ford.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/11/03/149912.html

We have a 2003 Duramax diesel 3/4 ton and a 36' 5th wheel @13,000lbs. Dry I was reading all this and thinking Wow I dont have enough truck to pull my 5th wheel, that I have been towing for 5 years! I pulled up the link and chevy 3/4 looks to be rated at 16,000lbs for a 5th wheel. The motors are all the same in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks That being said we are looking to get a 1-ton diesel dually. Mostly because we Tow livestock and tractors also.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you would think of this, but We did not. When you get down to three or four choices look at them with the slides in. Reason!!! can you get to the Refrig, bed, etc. for that Quick stop at a rest area or WalMart parking lot.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at many new/used trailers will be a learning experience. Do you like to cook, then a larger surface in the kitchen will be needed, can you get by with just enough room for one pot or pan on the counter. Do you watch TV, can sitting at an angle for a few hours not effect your neck, or would sitting directly across from it be a more comfortable position. Do you need a king size bed, or would a queen with night stands on each side fit your needs better. How big is the shower, can you stand and not hit your head. Is a fully enclosed bath more suitable or does it not matter. Is there a place to put your coats and jackets near the front door, might be a drag if every time you need a coat to go to the front closet in the nose of the trailer. Are three steps to enter the trailer too high for you or would 4 steps be easier on your legs. Holding tank size, smaller means more dumping, larger mean longer stays in places without sewer hook up. Basement storage doors, do they open wide enough or high enough to clear your head, they do hurt when ran into when you least expect it. Is outside noise going to bother you, maybe dual pane glass is something you will need, as it also helps with cooling and heating. Just some things i looked for when I was shopping for the 2nd trailer, had I know about some of these things before hand I would /should have pass on the first one purchased.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Excellent suggestions from Fred......but does it have to be a ford? LOL!

No, it certainly does NOT. Nor does it HAVE to be a 4X4, unless one just WANTS a 4X4, nor does it HAVE to be an automatic transmission, nor does it HAVE to be NEW!

I towed a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel around the West as a full-timer for about three years with a 1994 Dodge Ram CTD 3500 dually, 5 speed manual, with Jacobs Rambrake. It was great!
My son towed the same fifth wheel with a Dodge CTD 3/4 ton, automatic, no Rambrake, from CA to MT and back, no trouble.
IMO, it doesn't really matter which unit is purchased first, as long as the other unit is properly sized to match!
Have fun shopping, and good luck.

EDIT: whoops, my son called and told me that truck was an HO with 6 speed manual tranny. But, it WAS a 3/4 ton. He didn't have it loaded to 21,180 lbs GCW, though, like I did!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice. Like others have said an RV show is a great place to look at 5th wheels. One important thing I have learned is don't believe a salesman. I've been told some many untruths from various dealers. I'm not saying every dealer is like this but many are. In addition to finding a floor plan you can live with pay attention to the suspension, tires, frame, overall construction. Does it have a convenience / docking station. Are the dump valves easily accessible. Go to the various manufacturer's forums & see what owners are saying. Keystone, Forest River, Jayco etc.
If you order a 5th wheel leave yourself an escape. Make it subject to final approval.
Good luck.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
We just went thru this whole cycle..

decide on 2 things
1. what floor plan fits your requirements
2. how much you want to end up paying.

then find FW that matches those requirements. we looked at about 100
different FWs from different manufacturers.

once you decide on the FW, then find the truck to pull it.
the info already suggested is a good start.

here is a nice worksheet for the weights.
http://free.fifthwheelst.com/worksheet-1-01.htm
you can look at the truck drivers door pillar to get some of this info. (and current owners here can tell you their actual weights)
(go look at the different brands, see what you like and/or brand u like).. make sure to consider the maximums as well as what the trailer manufacturer says.

we had a late model ford F250, and it would have pulled the trailer fine, but I would have been right at the rear tire limits.. not worth risking my family's safety. we traded up to a dually.

all the truck vendors have their towing guides online. a simple google search will find them quickly.

the most important part of this is whether you like being in the trailer and truck.
and trailer tires can make a whole lot of difference in peace of mind. I got a heavy trailer, 15,500 gross weight.. had the dealer replace the stock E rated tires with Goodyear G614s. I hate flat tires..
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Markiemark32 wrote:
Do a lot of research, looking and learning.

Plan to atend a RV show, see lots of options.

Once you get close to deciding on a model/manufacture, come back here for opinions.

Make sure you have enough tow vehicle.

Get to know your local dealers, many times a RV will need warranty work, and a good dealer may make or break your satisfaction of first RV ownership.

Get out and make adventures!

Markiemark:C

Good stuff pointed out there. I would add a few to that.

(1) How many are going to be using the camper (2 adults, adults with kids) ? The answer to this may help you in deciding on a floor plan

(2) Where are you going to be camping the most? (hot weather, cool weather) that will help in deciding what type of R-Value you will need on the camper. That will also help determine if you need additional AC or heat strips.

(3) Based off the answer to #2 you will also be able to determine how long the camper can.

(4)Consider if you want to carry bikes, firewood, and other item. You may need a cargo carrier for them.

Find a floor plan you like, shop that floor plan (none will be perfect)talk to dealers with a good reputation.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice so far on tow vehicle/trailer choices. You have much to learn before buying your first RV. Do much reading here on the issues before letting the dream of lounging in exotic/idealic locations.

Also consider that RV trailers are not like autos with a Govt. mandated window sticker with actual factual information on it. It may have a sticker but it means nothing. Most trailers sell at a 25-30% discount of the actual price, problem is getting actual pricing information not something made up by a dealer.

Also know that RV warranties are no where in the same league as automobile warranties. They are given by the manufacturer and a dealer can honor them or not, only the maker of the RV is obligated and RV dealer networks do not really exist in a manner consistent with the auto industry. RV components also have individual warranties covered by the makers of those components not necessarily by the RV maker. RV warranties are generally limited to 12 months also.

All of these things must be factored into a purchase decision. After you choose a floorplan you like you will figure out that virtually every maker has the same floorplan in many different brands at different price points. Price is not indicative of build quality and is more closely associated with fluff accessories.

When you have an idea of what you want and a price range seek financing from different sources just like you would when buying an auto. DO NOT turn over ANY money until everything about the new trailer is exactly like you want it. That cash is the best motivator for a dealer to do what you want. There are many good PDI checklists available on this forum for doing the final inspection of a RV before giving a RV dealer money.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
All are great suggestions, and I think the biggest and best thing is to "take your time." It may take months, to find the combination that works for you. The right vehicle to tow the right 5er and the right hitch and the right tires and the right everything else. Do not believe much of what a salesman tells you, do your research, read "here" every day or twice a day. These folks here are a wealth of info and ask more questions if you are starting to find the right path or need help when you reach a split in that path. You will get a lot of opinions here, and the opinions are all based on years of true experiences. These folks here are truely tried and tested. Not like most sales man who truely "lie" and are "untested."
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Price point.... If looking at new, don't buy unless you get at least 30 percent off list.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never, Never, go by "DRY" 5er Weight!!!

Always look at the 5er's GVWR, then figure 20% to 25% of that for the pin (hitch) weight.

If you are looking at a new TV, then newer,3500/350 SRW will be rated high enough to tow and carry a 14,000# GVW 5er. That is a max 3,500# pin to around 2,800# or so.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"