cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what size compressor to winterize

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
good morning everyone, I have a 38 foot prime time crusader and I have a pancake compressor. What size compressor do I need to winterize a 5ver this large if I were to blow out the lines and pour antifreeze into the traps?
21 REPLIES 21

glodal134
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I have owned 10 RVs in the last 50 years, There is one thing that I have learned for certain, There is no such thing as over kill when it comes to preventing water lines freezing. I learned this the hard way many years ago, I waited too long to winterize a 5th wheel and later I had to remove the bath room wall to make repairs.
I use a small compressor and put 40 # of air in the lines then I go from out let to outlet and release all the moisture out of thr system, then I pump RV antifreeze thru all the lines. And of course I drain the water heater. The pink stuff is cheap and the process only takes 30 min.

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
No one way works for everyone but most seem to be happy with the way they are doing their RV.

Until we bought this one, I only drained and added pink stuff. This current 5er has more nooks and crannies so I decided to blow it out first. I first used my Porter Cable pancake compressor but it seemed that while I had plenty of pressure to start with, it couldn't maintain the volume and didn't have the ability to maintain 40-45 psig continuously for several minutes while I opened and closed valves and faucets. There is only so much that those little 6 gallon units can give. Soooooo out comes many feet of air hose and hooked up to my big shop compressor. It maintains both steady volume and pressure and pushes out an amazing amount of water the little pancake unit wouldn't move. I also open the washer lines (don't have a washer in the unit) and let it gravity drain for a while then blow those lines out as well. Don't forget any filters - they need to be removed. Then if you have a SeaLand toilet - that vacuum breaker needs to either be dry or have some pink stuff in it - the replacement valves, I found out, tend to get expensive.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
my horse trailer with living quarters do not have low point drains. It has an outside faucet which I consider to be the lowest point. After pressurizing the water lines and blowing them individually and sequentially, multiple times, I open all water valves and blow out with all valves open then usually leave them open.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I really really dislike the smell of the pink stuff. I have not used it even in the traps in over 30 years. I blow out the lines and use a wet vac to suction out the traps. It gets cold enough here north of Syracuse to freeze my well water line buried underground. Never had a problem with this method in my RVs. I have to respectfully disagree with the poster who said the lines could still freeze from residual water. Low pressure & high volume will almost make the pipes completely dry!
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
jalichty wrote:
I would doubt that the residual water in the lines, after blowing them out, would be enough to freeze, expand and break or rupture a line. Even if it's in a curve in the line, it would expand up both sides as it freezes and I don't believe it would break the line. We have blown out our FW for 20 years or so and just put antifreeze in the P traps and, I had one thing break, an outside kitchen line broke because the dealer didn't open it up when blowing the FW lines out after they did some repair and I didn't do it either when I got home. I had never heard of having the faucets closed until the system gets pressurized up and then opening the sequentially to get them all blown out. I guess as long as the air pressure isn't too high, should be ok. Also, don't open the low point drains, I have three, until after you have blown out the rest of the FW, at least I don't do that. It would seems to me that doing this would keep you from getting all the air pressure to the fixtures that are a ways from the low point drains, but I could be wrong.

I open low point drains then blow out the rest of the trailer. I blow out the low pressure after I've done the rest and leave them open.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I blow, then use antifreeze and then blow again. I save the antifreeze for next season.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

backlater
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone winterized with a washer hooked up, I can not get behind the washer so was thinking to run the rinse cycle for a few seconds to get the pink stuff through the washer pump then run the drain cycle, does that make sense?

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I would doubt that the residual water in the lines, after blowing them out, would be enough to freeze, expand and break or rupture a line. Even if it's in a curve in the line, it would expand up both sides as it freezes and I don't believe it would break the line. We have blown out our FW for 20 years or so and just put antifreeze in the P traps and, I had one thing break, an outside kitchen line broke because the dealer didn't open it up when blowing the FW lines out after they did some repair and I didn't do it either when I got home. I had never heard of having the faucets closed until the system gets pressurized up and then opening the sequentially to get them all blown out. I guess as long as the air pressure isn't too high, should be ok. Also, don't open the low point drains, I have three, until after you have blown out the rest of the FW, at least I don't do that. It would seems to me that doing this would keep you from getting all the air pressure to the fixtures that are a ways from the low point drains, but I could be wrong.
John A. Lichty

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Winterize; winterize? Hmmmm... :B:B:B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need more than 45 psi or you could damage your plumbing. I have an adapter that looks just like a tire valve stem. I connect the tire valve to my fresh water in line and set my pancake compressor regulator to 45 psi. I air up the plumbing then go inside and open one water source at a time. The blast of 45 psi coming out does a pretty good job of blowing out settled water. I do this multiple times on each water source. pressurize the plumbing and then release one valve at a time.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
rskeans wrote:
I first empty the hot water tank. Then pressurize the system using the hot water tank as the compressed air storage place. Then open each faucet sequentially until the water stops flowing. When all completed, pour RV antifreeze into the traps. That's it. Not a big deal.

Great idea, pressurize the hot water tank.
Wait till next year.
Bill and Joey the dog

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
You don't need anything powerful to winterize - I use a simple 12 volt compressor (which isn't very powerful) for 25 yrs. I don't see the logic of putting in pink stuff if you blow your lines .. overkill in my opinion.

That is your opinion and I can tell you for a fact that water will settle in the lines in low spots and during a hard freeze you can break lines. I know, I have had it happen.

Pink stuff pushes the water out and what doesn't go out mixes with it to lower the freeze point where it will not freeze. There is just no way with air to get all of the water out

Chris
Precisely! That's why I always follow up with the pink stuff after blowing out almost all the water. The little extra time and a couple of bucks more it takes is well worth it to me.

To each their own. Whatever suits each individual. :@

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
You don't need anything powerful to winterize - I use a simple 12 volt compressor (which isn't very powerful) for 25 yrs. I don't see the logic of putting in pink stuff if you blow your lines .. overkill in my opinion.

That is your opinion and I can tell you for a fact that water will settle in the lines in low spots and during a hard freeze you can break lines. I know, I have had it happen.

Pink stuff pushes the water out and what doesn't go out mixes with it to lower the freeze point where it will not freeze. There is just no way with air to get all of the water out

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin