cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tow rig?

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The dry weight is 14,050 lbs., I figure 1000 lbs. of gear, my motorcycle is about 950 lbs., hers is 650 lbs. We try to two with minimal onboard water and empty grey and black tanks. I currently have a 1996 Ford F-350 DRW with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and auto trans. It gets the trailer where it needs to go, but it really struggles on the hills and starting off, plus it is really old and I worry about the reliability. Fortunately our favorite camp grounds are not very far away, but we want o start venturing further. So my question is this, who runs a trailer this size and weight and travels long distances with it and what tow rig do you use and how well does it do. I am looking to buy a new truck, but not sure what to buy. Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak? The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine. Not sure I really would go that route, but maybe the motor is preferable but in a DRW. Any experienced advice is welcomed.
2006 Forest River All American Sport
2007.5 Chevy Crew cab Duramax DRW
2011 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
2007 Harley Davidson Deluxe
42 REPLIES 42

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Binkley2 wrote:
So, I finally ended up buying a Chevrolet 3500HD DRW with the LMM Duramax motor. This truck pulls my rig like a pro. Way better than my old Ford. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Good call on the Dually!!! You will love the stability, my #2 choice in trucks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Binkley2
Explorer
Explorer
So, I finally ended up buying a Chevrolet 3500HD DRW with the LMM Duramax motor. This truck pulls my rig like a pro. Way better than my old Ford. Thanks for all the suggestions.
2006 Forest River All American Sport
2007.5 Chevy Crew cab Duramax DRW
2011 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra
2007 Harley Davidson Deluxe

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
I don't think there is a plugged nickels worth of difference in the towing of the big 3. Figure out how much truck you need. Towing and payload primarily. That's your baseline you can't go below, if it's a dually so be it. Then start shopping for the one you like the best or get the best deal on. All have the same warranty.

But not all have the best engine. Ford has a converted gas engine, and Chevy has an Isuzu.

"Ford has a converted gas engine" Please explain?????

I agree on "not all have the best engine" part.

X2,
Thought the Scorpion was designed and built from the ground up by Ford.

Yes it was, plus a lot of help from Ford of England, who did a lot of the design and testing. Peugeot and other European OEM's had input

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
I don't think there is a plugged nickels worth of difference in the towing of the big 3. Figure out how much truck you need. Towing and payload primarily. That's your baseline you can't go below, if it's a dually so be it. Then start shopping for the one you like the best or get the best deal on. All have the same warranty.

But not all have the best engine. Ford has a converted gas engine, and Chevy has an Isuzu.

X2,

Could be based on two Pinto motors side by side???

NOT A CHANCE!!! The Pinto's 4 banger was awsum for it's time.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The only converted gas to diesel engine I remember was that fine 350 that GM brought out.

Was singlehandedly responsible for setting back the passenger car/light truck diesel industry for 20 years.

Tim

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:

X2,

Could be based on two Pinto motors side by side???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
tdst51 wrote:

Sure hope this was an attempt to be humorous. BTW, it failed.

:h converted gas engine. Where oh where did that misinformation come from?????????

To the OP asking questions here, the new Ford diesel 6.7L is NOT a converted gas engine. And the Duramax is a great motor too. And so is the Cummins.

Drive all, then pick which one you liked the best.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:

X2,
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tdst51 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:

2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Binkley2 wrote:
I recently purchased a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, triple slide. The dry weight is 14,050 lbs., I figure 1000 lbs. of gear, my motorcycle is about 950 lbs., hers is 650 lbs. We try to two with minimal onboard water and empty grey and black tanks. I currently have a 1996 Ford F-350 DRW with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and auto trans. It gets the trailer where it needs to go, but it really struggles on the hills and starting off, plus it is really old and I worry about the reliability. Fortunately our favorite camp grounds are not very far away, but we want o start venturing further. So my question is this, who runs a trailer this size and weight and travels long distances with it and what tow rig do you use and how well does it do. I am looking to buy a new truck, but not sure what to buy. Do I really need to look at medium duty trucks like an F-650 or a Kodiak? The guy I bought it from pulled it with a Chevy 2500 with an 8.1 gas engine and said it handled it just fine. Not sure I really would go that route, but maybe the motor is preferable but in a DRW. Any experienced advice is welcomed.

One word- CUMMINS.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
An F350 Dually with the 6.7 is just what you need. Have fun picking colors. 🙂
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another stick with an Auto. With tow/haul downshifting and engine brakes working together the new trucks are a pleasure to tow with. All three have put a lot of work into their transmissions over the last decade. I wouldn't be as concerned as I once was and BTW I pulled with a 48RE for 10 years. Just take care of what you have and don't tune it but who really "needs" to with the current specs on these trucks.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW