Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will plumbing freeze? Toronto to Vancouver Mid-November

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am planning on taking my first long trip with my new 5th wheel from Toronto to Vancouver in mid-November. I am planning on using all facilities once I get to Vancouver, I am just worried about freezing along the way (through the mountains and across Canada). I have also never winterized as I am a new owner.

1) Should I winterize before leaving? (I am going to Vancouver with above-freezing temps during winter)

2) Would it make any sense to travel through the US instead of Canada to avoid cold weather and winterizing? (I do not wish to have an excessive detour as it is already a 40 hour trip)
37 REPLIES 37

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Running through the BC passes in winter can be a **** shoot. If the weather forecasts are for bad weather then best to not do it. If the forecast is for cold dry weather you would be fine. We traveled from Vancouver to Edmonton in our M/H once and it was snowing through the passes. It was not a fun trip. When we got into Alberta the temp. dropped to -20. The plumbing in our coach was fine but the dump valves froze solid.
There are a lot of folks that head south for the winter and travel through Nov. through Jan. Most would be winterized.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Bobroham wrote:
I didn't really consider that the mountain passes in AB/BC might be quite bad in November. Is the Montana/Idaho/Washington route safer at that time of year?

If the passes in Canada are bad there is a good chance that the ones in the states will be too. In November you need to be prepared for severe driving conditions at almost any time and you will be required to carry chains. Even lowly 3000 foot Snoqualmie Pass east of Seattle can get nasty very quickly. It's not unusual for wet, slippery snow to fall at a rate of over an inch per hour. All it takes is for one large truck to be too lazy to chain up and the whole pass can be closed for hours.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Your life is worth the additional cost. Driving through the Rockies in November is a dangerous idea.

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like I should definitely winterize if leaving in November. I hope it's not too difficult of a procedure.

I didn't really consider that the mountain passes in AB/BC might be quite bad in November. Is the Montana/Idaho/Washington route safer at that time of year?

I am also considering leaving now and flying back for the wedding I have in November.. just hard to justify the additional cost of flying.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
My vote would be for you to winterize. We will be towing our fiver to Osoyoos, BC in early November and I fully intend on winterizing the RV just for the one day that it will take to get to our winter RV resort. It would be truly foolhardy to gamble on the weather in the Canadian winter. The weather can and will change without warning and you have to expect unscheduled layovers and staying in a hotel/motel if roads and mountain passes are closed. As always, YMMV. Good luck and please post up your travels as you cross the country.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Sorry. For the benefit of those south of us, BC usually lords it over the rest of Canada how warm (read "rain") it is there in the winter. As an easterner (i.e. east of BC) I had to point out how mild -5C to -10C is to the rest of Canada.

Wasn't supposed to come across as a "whoah-as-me", just letting the OP know that there is always a chance of him seeing snow here.

Trust me, I know snow. Lived in Ontario for 5 years, and spent another 5 years 4 hours East of Vancouver where it was -!0 to -20C for upwards of 5 months.......how did I ever survive!!??!!??

The "balmy" rainy winter is really only applicable to the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island, so don't worry all you easterners........we know snow out here ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike.....only 5 months 'til daffodil count ๐Ÿ˜‰

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry. For the benefit of those south of us, BC usually lords it over the rest of Canada how warm (read "rain") it is there in the winter. As an easterner (i.e. east of BC) I had to point out how mild -5C to -10C is to the rest of Canada.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
dfm wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Mike E. wrote:
And just so you know: last winter in Vancouver we had sustained temperatures of -5 to -10C for 6 weeks straight....and upwards of 5 feet of snow.
TERRIBLE! How did you survive?

And in Vancouver or the lower mainland this can mean almost disasterous traffic conditions, not a joke!

Please.
Were I used to winter in upstate NY we had 8 feet of snow in one weekend.
The temps get low stuff freezes on the highways. It is part of living in the region.
10 to 20 degrees F is a heatwave here in the winter and we are happy because the salt will finally work to melt the stuff on the highways.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've never traveled in below freezing conditions in my fiver, but if I had to, I would be sure the water pump was turned off, then I would relieve the pressure remaining in the lines. Upon reaching my destination, I wouldn't be too concerned about freezing water since the on board heating system should prevent any problem (underbelly was also heated). I wouldn't be boondocking in such a scenario, but using shore power.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Mike E. wrote:
And just so you know: last winter in Vancouver we had sustained temperatures of -5 to -10C for 6 weeks straight....and upwards of 5 feet of snow.

And in Vancouver or the lower mainland this can mean almost disasterous traffic conditions, not a joke!
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Mike E. wrote:

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
romore wrote:
There is a big difference between towing a snowmobile trailer and a fifth wheel travel trailer especially when the op is new to it. Winter can mean extreme cold in the prairies along with snow and white out conditions and heavy snow in the mountains. What are you towing it with? If the truck has duals you may not be able to fit chains which will be mandatory if you do not have winter rated tires. The trip can be done in 40 hours under ideal conditions which you definitely won't see.
You will also be dry camping all the way, no rv parks will be open. It's your call but I sure don't recommend it.
On second thought I agree with you completely. If the weatherman is predicting you might get a trace of snow anytime within the next week, get off the roads, until you see clean, dry, bare pavement and cloudless skies (less numbskulls I have to deal with).

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a big difference between towing a snowmobile trailer and a fifth wheel travel trailer especially when the op is new to it. Winter can mean extreme cold in the prairies along with snow and white out conditions and heavy snow in the mountains. What are you towing it with? If the truck has duals you may not be able to fit chains which will be mandatory if you do not have winter rated tires. The trip can be done in 40 hours under ideal conditions which you definitely won't see.
You will also be dry camping all the way, no rv parks will be open. It's your call but I sure don't recommend it.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
It will freeze on the road in Nov, guaranteed. IMO
Indeed. In my years in Manitoba I don't recall one in which there was not freezing weather in October, let alone November.

Now, whether that means driving will be difficult is completely dependent on the specific forecast for the travel days.

If it were my trip, in a new RV, I'd winterize, and limit my usage to the toilet, and carry a couple of jugs of pinkstuff in addition to some water jugs.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike E. wrote: