cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless Backup Camera

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
I know there has been a lot of discussion about wireless cameras, but my situation is a little different that what I have seen discussed in the past. I do not want another monitor/screen in my truck. I have an Edge CTS monitor with video input and would like to use that to view a wireless camera on the back of the toy hauler.

Does anybody know of a camera that can be used like this? Everything I have seen from $100 to over $1000 all come with their own monitor and the wireless receiver looks to be built into that. I didn't want to deal with an extra wire all the time and I sure don't look forward to routing the wire, but it may be the only option for what I want to do.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog
11 REPLIES 11

dieseldan723
Explorer
Explorer
Doughboy12 wrote:
720Deere wrote:
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that I strap my smartphone to the back of my toy hauler?

No, he said he straps his WIFE to the back of the fifth wheel...with her cell phone in hand.

LOL!!!!
Currently looking for my next RV....

SOLD
2014 Keystone Fuzion 301 towed by 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic CCSB 4X4
2012 Komfort 3530FBH towed by 08 Chevy 3500HD DRW
2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH towed by 03 GMC 2500HD

Prodigy 3 brake controller

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want another monitor in the cab of your truck then why don't you just use the Edge monitor? I thought that Edge made a camera for that exact purpose.

Maybe I'm off here but I just searched Google and came up with this:

http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=129&pvk=438

Edit: Seems that you're after a wireless solution because you want it on the back of the trailer and I would agree that would seem the easiest. You might try going the GoPro route. They offer a cam that can be accessed via WIFI from what I've been told. You can then access it via a smartphone or iPad.

If you decide to go the wired route then I don't really think it would be that hard to install at least from the back of the trailer to the tongue. You will need to create or buy a plug so you can easily plug the camera in when your trailer is hooked up. The hardest part of the install would be from the monitor to the rear of the pickup.

Best of luck however you go about it!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I am looking at doing the same thing. I have an Edge CTS and want to mount a camera on the back to keep an eye on my Jet Ski. I was trying to figure someway of utilizing the CTS as the viewer.

The Jensen Wisight looks like the ticket! The only down side will be that the camera has audio but the CTS does not. It doesn't matter to me, but it may be a plus if your wife is one of those verbal spotters! Thankfully my wife sits back and stays out of the way while I am backing the trailer into our site or driveway, but I have watched some really entertaining wives at campgrounds.
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at doing the same thing. I have an Edge CTS and want to mount a camera on the back to keep an eye on my Jet Ski. I was trying to figure someway of utilizing the CTS as the viewer.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting that I strap my smartphone to the back of my toy hauler?

depends on your usage requirements.. I don't use or need a camera
for normal road use, only backing up in odd situations, then i have
the wife point the camera behind the rv so i can see where i'm going..
I did use it alone once, I strapped it to the rear ladder and it was sufficient to enable me to see where I was heading..

If you need a road camera then there are better options I'm sure..
OTOH.. you could strap an "old" smartphone to the rear..
using the WiFi does not require any active carrier plan..

I'm just thinking outside the box.. you don't need any other video monitor, assuming you have another phone you can use..

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:

No, he said he straps his WIFE to the back of the fifth wheel...with her cell phone in hand.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
I know there has been a lot of discussion about wireless cameras, but my situation is a little different that what I have seen discussed in the past. I do not want another monitor/screen in my truck. I have an Edge CTS monitor with video input and would like to use that to view a wireless camera on the back of the toy hauler.

Does anybody know of a camera that can be used like this? Everything I have seen from $100 to over $1000 all come with their own monitor and the wireless receiver looks to be built into that. I didn't want to deal with an extra wire all the time and I sure don't look forward to routing the wire, but it may be the only option for what I want to do.

I use my smartphone with IP Webcam software then connect to it with the wife's phone.. as wireless as you can get.. !

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
It works great. I wanted a digital signal, I read allot of posts that were analog and seems to be allot of interference.
I have a 2500 Chevy and I limited to where to place the receiver, it is a small box with a rubber antenna at first I stuffed it in my center console down low just above the vehicles computer, and signal would break up occasionally I think it was getting interference from the computer for a few seconds, I moved it away and tuck up in the dash it work just fine. I wired the camera to my parking lights so I can power it up and use it for lane changing beside backing up. good color video with audio as well. I have Garmin Dezel GPS
I purchased it through RVcams they were excellent to deal with as I had a few questions and it was a bit cheaper than going through Jensen direct.
2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I have looked at the Jensen site before, I can't figure out how I missed that!

At 36', your rig sounds very similar to mine. Do you have any trouble with reception of the camera signal? I have heard others complain about signal issues with toy haulers.
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
720deere,

I purchase the Jensen wireless camera with wisight tech I was able to buy the camera and wireless transmitter and I use it with my Garmin gps. I had the same concerns as you I did not want two different monitors up front in my truck.yes it was a little more than what I wanted to pay, but in the long run it was worth it, as I have 36' fifth wheel TH.
Harry
2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE