cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XLR vs Fuzion?? Issues, complaints??

Laughing_River
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at purchasing a toy hauler and seem to like the floor plans on the Fuzions & XLR's the best. I have heard a few complaints about quality on the Fuzions but can't find many reviews for the XLR's. I am looking for the good, the bad, & the ugly!! Please if anyone has ANY information for us it is greatly appreciated!
How do they stand up with use?
Any issues with wiring, plumbing, etc?
What is the quality like? Do things come loose/break easily?
What has the manufacturer been like to deal with?
Anything you can let us know would be great 🙂
Thanks!!
11 REPLIES 11

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Fuzion trailers, the 342 is our second, but its not like they are problem free for me. I like the lay out of the trailers, they have become familiar to me and there is a certain amount comfort in familiarity. My dealer is pretty outstanding. My new 342 has had some issues, like most new trailers it seems. I know nothing of the XLR. I don't think any OEM in this market is setting any type of high standard for quality which is why a strong dealer is helpful. Although many debate the value of an extended warranty, if you really use your trailer, I think they are worth every penny. If you use it a couple times a year perhaps not.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Rocky7
Explorer
Explorer
LR - I have a 40' Fuzion. The water tank fell out....on the ground.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26314728/gotomsg/26362748.cfm#26362748

I thought it was pretty lame for Keystone to tell me the warranty period had ended. This was no "wear and tear" item. Thankfully, it fell out at home as I was filling the tank for a trip.

We have had lots of little issues, from upholstery defects to storage drawers that come off their glides.

It can be pretty annoying, considering the price tag on these things.
God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Leroy2u
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my XLR for 6 months now and used it quite extensively. Everything has been flawless, FR sent me a light fixture that broke with 10 days, good response.

I to have the artic package I can tell you after spending 6 days in temps from the mid teens to the low 40's it's the real deal. The furnace pretty much ran us out at times, I had to crank it down 70.

At this point I would purchase again with no question.

Mark
2012 Silverado 3500 DRW
2013 XLR 395 AMP

Laughing_River
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!!
Pretty sure our first choice is the 2014 Fuzion 375:
http://www.carsrv.ca/rv/hinton/2014-fuzion-375-h0266.php

The 2013 Fuzion 399 is a close second!
http://www.carsrv.ca/rv/hinton/2013-fuzion-399-h0232.php

The 375 has a pretty cramped front bedroom but the living space, amount of cupboards, and "homey" feel are just amazing!!
I prefer the front bedroom in the 399 as well as the option of having 2 bunks as well as a table set up all at once in the huge garage but there is not much storage space inside.

Decisions, decisions!!

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
We've got an XLR and it has been fine. There were a couple minor things but the biggest wasn't Forest River's fault. The Dometic refrigerator had a bad main board. Its our first trailer, so don't have anything to compare it with other than what I've heard. I think the XLRs are a high end division of Forest River.

We liked the floor plan on ours and that was a large part of the reason we got it. Plus, I didn't want triple axles. A downside to ours is that cargo capacity limited but we ride dirt bikes so its fine for us.

I had ours lifted to get more clearance at bedrails. Best 1k I ever spent. We like to get as far off the beaten path as possible and the clearance has helped a ton. Saw a group of Raptors 2 weekends ago. The one guy had 3, maybe 4" at the bedrails. A pinch just waiting to happen.

My one complaint with seemingly all of them is they are so tall. I believe they do it so the ramp is long and angle minimized but I almost like older styles that are shorter.

If I had a do-over, I'd opt for a smaller rig that I can get more places.

I saw a Voltage last trip that looked incredible. 3 A/Cs, auto leveling jacks. Seemingly every bell and whistle possible. Its max weight was in the ballpark of 22k though!

If you're going to use it off-road, if possible, back your truck under a proposed unit and see how it marries up with your hitch. See how much clearance you have. Other than that, find one with the features you like and go from there.

Here's one thing that I don't like about ours...its got the artic package, but the sewer lines protrude from the underbelly and run across the trailer to the valves. It has heated valves, but I don't think that will keep the lines from freezing if its well below freezing. Granted, the black tank valve has 2 valves and one is just after the line protrudes from underbelly, but still. I think the newer XLRs have sewer lines running above the underbelly which I think would be better.

PM me if you have any questions.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
I read plenty of reviews prior to my purchase and I visited quite a few RV shows and dealers looking at the various models. It came down to the Voltage and the Fuzion for me. Overall I had read about more consistent problems with the Voltage than the Fuzion and we liked the Fuzion floor plan a little better.

I had a handful of small things that I took it back to the dealer for, but nothing that I couldn't have easily fixed myself for little or no cost. The only item that would have cost me money is the lock jammed up on one of the slam latches. The dealer fix was to install a new handle/lock assembly. This could have happened to any brand since they all use mostly the same hardware. Speaking of which, they all have the same appliances, same chassis, same doors, etc. so it really comes down to how much care is taken during assembly.

After looking at them all, I felt that the craftsmanship on the Fuzion line was as good as any and better than many. After owning mine for 8 months, I'm still happy with the quality of my Fuzion. I owned a Rockwood previously so I know low budget work when I see it! Picking a good dealer is probably just as important as picking the right trailer. Having a dealer that will fight for your warranty claims and not just roll over when the manufacturer tries to blow them off is priceless.

Basically what I am saying is don't be afraid to go with what you feel fits your needs the best. They are all built very similarly and you can just as easily get a lemon from any one of the top manufacturers. Internet horror stories are usually only a small sampling of what any brand has to offer, but they get greater attention because the other 99 people that are perfectly happy with their unit don't take the time to get online and rave about how great they are. People come to the internet forums when they have problems so that is what you are going to read about. Pick what you like, do a very detailed PDI and enjoy it for many years to come!
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm happy with our Fuzion 383. We've not had to take it back, but have had to make a few minor repairs: the vacuum breaker valve for the toilet broke, the screws in the ceiling fan came loose, the outside graphics on the "sun side" have peeled some, the bathroom door didn't quite latch closed, the hanger rod in the clothes closet is pretty flimsy. Nothing major and these have occurred over time, not all at once.

However, the main thing I would do is make sure you get good tires, not some of the ST235/80-16 tires that normally come on these trailers. I would pay a bit extra and get good LT tires. We had 2 blow out in less than 2 years and 8,000 miles. Not a good tire for these heavy toyhaulers, IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with my Fuzion so far. Some minor issues but overall it has been a positive experience. It is a 2012 310

Laughing_River
Explorer
Explorer
I had just read a few reviews on Fuzions that said they were poor quality, shotty assembly, things not working, wiring not done properly, water leaks, rusted quickly, & mice getting in due to poor craftsmanship. I had read good reviews up until these couple and it worried me as we do not want to invest this much money in a trailer that has poor craftsmanship & quality. Fuzion seems to have our favourite floor plan though!

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '08 Fuzion 362. It has never been back to the shop of repairs, however I've made minor repairs myself. Small issues such as outside speakers rotted out, replaced with marine grade speakers. My biggest gripe has been the stick-on graphics. They started curling and peeling after 3 years. I contacted Keystone and they sent a new set of stickers to me, at no cost. Spend the extra $$ and get full body paint.

I even ran the stock tires (most people here call them "China Bombs") for 6 years. I replaced them last year with new China Bombs.
Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fuzion and have had very little problems. Not sure what you may have read/heard about them.

Cannot give you an opinion on the XLR's.
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel