Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Heater Recommendation Needed

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
RE: 2000 Winnebago Minnie Winnie, 30 ft., no slide, 30 AMP

I am currently using a Lasko ceramic tower heater and want to know if there is a better option and can I make two heaters work? THANKS!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
27 REPLIES 27

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
DianneOK wrote:
We also use an oil filled heater....works great
I switched to oil filled heaters as well.

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
Read the Amazon reviews for the AM05. The top-rated favorable review and the top-rated unfavorable review contradict each other.

daytrader
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone looked in the Dyson Hot and Cool air multiplier? was thinking of getting that one (cost aside, I know they are pricey, but with airmiles don't matter.) Anyone had experience with them?

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Duraflame. It heats uniformly also. You need a 15 amp receptacle though. It goes up to 12 amps and it will keep you warm. We bought ours at the local Fleet & Farm store for about $150. The stores start reducing their prices this time of year and you may find one cheaper.

Consumer Reports rates it high and I agree.

http://www.amazon.com/Duraflame-Williams-Portable-Heater-10HM4126-O107/dp/B004ALSJ4E
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

Carolina_Cruise
Explorer
Explorer
We tried several different heaters and some were ok and some were not. I found this Warming mat and thought I would give it a shot. It is great. It heats your space and pulls around 100 watts. I put it on the floor in front of the recliner and it keeps the area warm. Of course I don't get to use it since the DW tried it. It says not to use on carpet or hardwoods for fear of fading but we have not had an issue. The instructions say lay it on a piece of cardboard if you are worried about that. If you are paying the electric bill, these are 87% cheaper to run than the space heaters. They make two sizes and the first one we got was the small one. May try the larger one when I order another. I may get another small one to put in the bathroom. just my 02
Albert & Tamara, the dogs Casey & Cody, Living the simple life.

God never said Saved by Grace;kept by performance.

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I too looked for a better heating system, I found the cheap heat system. Look at it at rvcomfortsystems.com. I installed my cheap heat system into my gas heating unit and love it!!, I installed the 5000 watt unit because my camper has the 50 amp service and this system runs on 240 volts. I been using this system for over three years now and never had any problems. I own a 36 foot Mobile suite and keep it plugged into service all the time when it's parked at my house. I keep the heater set at 50 degrees all winter when I'm not camping in it. This system keeps my camper evenly heated and also heats the underbelly. Good luck,

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Free Range Human wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
mikeleblanc413 wrote:

I am currently using a Lasko ceramic tower heater and want to know if there is a better option and can I make two heaters work? THANKS!

I have spent 100's of dollars and tried them ALL!
After 6 years on the road trying all the different heaters, you have the one that I have finally settled on. IMHO, it's the best.
I just saved you a $100!

What model of Lasko ceramic tower heater? Amazon has 12 Lasko ceramic tower heaters.

Sorry for the delay in responding. The Lasko Ceramic Tower I'm using is model #751320 and is 23 inches tall.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering a little more permanent type setup you can also consider low wattage baseboard heaters. These are 500 watts, thermostat, mounted (no falling over) and kinda blend in. No fan so no noise but you will need 3 or 4 to make the heat even. We went this approach as well as underfloor heating (under laminate) which makes it easy on the feet. One of the posters on here (Piano Tuner) uses an after market heated carpet approach which he really likes. I guess my point is there are alternatives to the little heaters with fans. Good luck in your search and happy trails.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Boldtining wrote:
Through the years rving, we've tried several electric heaters and have found the "Vornado" to work best at heating the rv. No doubt is because of the way it circulates the warm air about the space. Won't use any other method now.

X2.

Why it's Best:

1. Fan speed and heat automatically adjusts up/down to maintain thermostat temp.
2. Fan ensures uniform heat distribution in RV, ~no cold spots like with a radiant heater.
3. Fan is quiet, and even quieter when it slows down.
4. Small size.
5. 750W and 1500W settings.
6. Very accurate thermostat.

Theoretically I prefer a Radiant heater with no moving parts; but in sub-freezing temperatures I couldn't keep a uniform temp. A single Vornado solved that. Ideal might be a Radiant + Vornado.

AVH2
VH103

Make sure you get a Non-Digital model so you don't have to reset the temperature every time power is interrupted.

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
mikeleblanc413 wrote:

I have spent 100's of dollars and tried them ALL!
After 6 years on the road trying all the different heaters, you have the one that I have finally settled on. IMHO, it's the best.
I just saved you a $100!

What model of Lasko ceramic tower heater? Amazon has 12 Lasko ceramic tower heaters.

bstow
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled a hole in the bottom wall of a slide out.

Ran some heavy wire to a receptacle I put in the wall.

Put a female plug on the end of the heavy wire.

Then I plug a short heavy duty ext. cord into the plug and connect the other end to the 20 amp Plug in the power pedestal.

Keeps my main heater, a Lasko ceramic heater,off of the fiver circuits.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my oil filled heater and I also put a small fan behind it.

I do not understand the comment about brown outs in Florida. The high peak time for electrical usage in Florida is during the summer when everyone is running AC on 'high', not during the winter. I've Lived in Florida for 16 years and my electric bills in winter are 1/2 what they are in summer, meaning my electric consumption is about 1/2, just like everyone else in Florida.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Rock...we used the oil heaters for 9 years of fulltiming and still do. The cord, etc have never gotten hot. We did replace one that started leaking oil. Perhaps yours was defective? We never use it with an extenion cord....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I 'used' to use the oil filled heaters.

After a few hours, running check the plug, you might change your mind using it in a MH. And more so if you are using an extension cord with it. The plug and cord get dangerously hot. This doesn't happen with the ceramic heaters. I switched to ceramic for that reason and actually found out IMHO it heated my coach far better.

A side note to those in Florida.
Depending where you are at and what power company is there: Because Florida rarely has cold temps what I found out was when night falls on an unusually cold night they brown out the electric so as to have enough for all for the high demand of unexpected usage.

I called RV repair out to check out my electric because of the unusual hot cords I was experiencing thru out the coach. He was the one that informed me of the brown outs. Inadequate power to a heating appliance is the kiss of death.

Picked up a cheap meter to monitor it and he was right on about the power being "supplied" to my coach at night dropped well below acceptable for using a heater. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.