cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny thing happened on the way to retirement

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
DH retires from his job May 5th I am already done working.

Been planning our exit for 28 mos. now. Our biggest and hardest decision was on weather to sell the S&B or lease it out come June.
So we have been doing a little remodeling, laminate floors, upgrading fixtures, painting etc. Some work we did not want to do ourselves so we called in a contractor last week that our realtor friend had recommended. (Realtor had also already gone over numbers with us on selling or renting)

Contractor makes us a offer on buying the house from us. We haggled back n forth for 3 days and came to a deal we are all happy with.

So looks like we will be in our 5th wheel full-timing a month before DH retires and then head out on the road almost 2 months before planned exit!!!

We are excited to say the least...now the real packing begins !!
And onto great adventures.

Jo & Glenn
15 REPLIES 15

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
My step brother in Phoenix real dad moved to San Felipe some 15yrs ago. They go down every so often to visit. The dads runs a bar in downtown area near the beach..

they have mentioned about retiring down there as its real cheap to live. Looks like a nice place.. have you experienced any issues with your parents down there?.

thanks
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! It only took us one and a half years to sell ours! Once we had a buyer though every thing went smoothly, even bought all our furniture. Life is good, checkout our blog. The initial entries will describe our preps for fulltime RVing, later entries about all the FUN we are having. :B
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. Happy Trails!
God Bless!

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats! Now yo¨need to clean that map logo in your signature and start OVER with a FULL TIME map! Ready, set - GO.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it fantastic when the universe works the way you wish.
Sometimes even better than you wish for!
Congratulations on your new adventure!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!
I've been trying so hard to work my DW into the idea of fulltiming. hopefully... someday... soon...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we have a exit plan when the time comes.
We will be building a small house/cabin on our kids property in Montana and we also have another 5er set up on property on the Baja next door to my parents home where they have been living for 16 yrs,,,they fulltimed for 15 yrs before building their home there.
So we will have homes north and south (summer/winter homes) Plan to do a lot of sightseeing between both locations. There's a lot out there to see & do.

Yes we know how fast life can change and we hope we have planned things the best we can. A lot of info has been gained reading and reading this forum, Escapees and many fulltimer blogs for the past few years,,,and of coarse learned a lot from my parents fulltime adventures and miss-adventures.

Thanks to Everyone and happy RVing to all.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the sale of house and the start of a new adventure!

Do you have a 'Exit Plan'? We had one from the start for 'just in case'.
After 7 yrs. we had to use it.

One never knows what the future holds....go and enjoy!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes things just have a way of working out
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone.

donn0218...we have spent the past year getting rid of things. Right now all we have left is some items & clothes that go into the 5er, some items that I am delivering to daughter next week (Roseburg, Or.) The only furniture we have left is our bed, a love seat, a coffee table and a TV.

The only stuff to store is DH shop equipment which is being loaded into a cargo trailer this weekend and being transported to Montana to kids house there where DH can do some hobby woodworking in our summers in Montana.

Looking forward to the road of adventures.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy your new life style..

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very similar thing happened to us last fall. Sold out put everything in storage figuring we could find a one story house. Yea right! Still sitting in our fiver. I am happy, DW misses her house. First things first, get rid of everything you can live without. Storage is expensive. Then find something to do. Volunteering for the state park system is a wonderful way to get involved and live really cheap. We cannot wait to get out in June for the summer. We are looking for a new home, but the market is so tight right now, there is simply nothing that we want out there. Find a decent park and settle in, and have fun.

Ramblin_Recks
Explorer
Explorer
That is awesome. I'm glad it worked out for you. We can't wait to join the Full-timers!
George and Ann
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB ,4x4,3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640W Solar, MPPT60, Magnum 2000
Retired Army, but still working....until 2016

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Been fulltiming for 5 years and never looked back! Love it!! Happy travels.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi