cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltime women - wardrobe questions

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies, even if we are fulltiming with limited clothes storage, life keeps happening. Weddings and christenings and milestone anniversaries or birtdays and holidays back home and trips to the city and all kinds of things require something besides t-shirts and jeans. What are the basic items you carry with you to be prepared?
29 REPLIES 29

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
Ok. I just ran into a woman at Camping World that I knew from a while back. She gets the prize. She travels with one navy blue Susan Graver swing dress. That's it for anything dressier than jeans or shorts. One dress. It has taken her to 2 weddings, a funeral, several holiday parties,dinners out, and family gatherings. She picks up accessories - scarves, belts, a shrug or whatever - when she needs to. One dress for nearly four years. Holy cow.

My kinda gal! lizzie

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We don't RV fulltime but always in TT

One long summer dress, casual knit, with a light shrugg

One short white jean skirt, 2 tops to go with it

Three skorts, 2 shorts, 2 jeans, 2 capris, 3 yoga type pants one pair dress pants.

I have about 12 various tops, 2 hoodies, 4 pair of shoes

3 bathing suits and coverups

And a basket full of ???

This fits nicely in my side of the TT and most is on hangers

We use the thin blk velvet type hangers. You can get so much more in the closets.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been to anything I need a dress for in 7 years.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
One dress for nearly four years. Holy cow.
And why not? After all, it probably doesn't get worn out just going to occasional events.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I just ran into a woman at Camping World that I knew from a while back. She gets the prize. She travels with one navy blue Susan Graver swing dress. That's it for anything dressier than jeans or shorts. One dress. It has taken her to 2 weddings, a funeral, several holiday parties,dinners out, and family gatherings. She picks up accessories - scarves, belts, a shrug or whatever - when she needs to. One dress for nearly four years. Holy cow.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jean - sounds like you're set for any occasion. Have fun in your new lifestyle!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
Jean, glad you got it all figured out. My spouses half of the closet plus all the storage I have in this rig, It looks like Macy's department store, and shoe department. She sometimes will change three times a day when we are parked for an extended time. She takes so much that we can go un-interrupted for four weeks no problem. I have tried to suggest to her that we're over loaded but she just smiles and loads it anyway. But I love her any way.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. After reading everything that works for everyone else, I've finished packing the Goodwill bags. I have kept 1 pr. of black dress pants and 1 black skirt - both pull-on knits that can be rolled and stored Navy style and refreshed with a small hand steamer. 2 blingy winter sweaters, 2 dressy summer sweaters, 1 black cashmere shawl, 1 pr blk dress shoes.

I'd like a simple dress and a brighter skirt. Maybe I will find them, maybe not.

Everything else that is not suitable to sit around a campfire in has gone to charity. If I need anything else, I can find it on the road. We are not leaving the civilized world.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 4-seasons of clothing, but quit carrying suits and dresses a few years back. We attended 2 weddings in 2005 and so we're done. Graduations are still in the future and no suits/slacks required.

Besides, we've both gained a few lbs over the last 8 years and while the slacks may still fit DH, I haven't replaced any dressy options for me yet.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
About 10 years ago my DH and I traveled from NC to CA and then toured the northwest in a small TC. At mid-point in our tour we had to attend a Very formal dinner in Sacramento. We arranged to rent a tux for him but had to take shoes, shirts, etc. and I needed a long gown etc. There were also two other "dressy" events. We packed everything in a large suitcase and lived with it for two weeks. After the event we sent it home via FedEx. Never again! lizzie

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
It probably depends a lot on what part of the country you are from. Here in the West, a pair of dressy black pants, a soft dressy jacket and a couple of camisoles will serve you well.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
We're just most-timers now that we have a homebase, but I take one pair of dressy black pants and a couple of nice tops. They see me through most anything - a party or a funeral.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you get carried away...it is fairly simple to take along a few basic items for those emergency weddings, funerals, parties, etc.

I take along one basic skirt that will do for funerals, one for brighter occasions, one dress, a couple of basic slacks, then add about 4 dressy tops/a couple of jackets for multi season wear. I do not carry a bunch of heels, just one pair of slacks shoes that are great for all clothing, a pair of comfy sandals for the skirts that are not so dressy they won't do for daily wear and go with that. I keep jewelry simple too.

I don't take items too dressy for a dinner out at a casual restaurant. More formal wear...well, I agree if indeed such an occasion came up, which in our case never happens, a credit card could be used...I'd shop at a second hand clothing store in that case.

We try to keep very simple and basic for all of clothing needs. When you pack stuff in an RV...its just a mess to take all you can get in rather that take what you need.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
Ladies, even if we are fulltiming with limited clothes storage, life keeps happening. Weddings and christenings and milestone anniversaries or birtdays and holidays back home and trips to the city and all kinds of things require something besides t-shirts and jeans. What are the basic items you carry with you to be prepared?

Gave my last dress to Goodwill years ago. Have a pair of dress charcoal slacks and a couple of dressy tops. That is it. Think I will go get a pair of dressy black slacks for a Christmas concert this year (already have the top). Haven't been to a wedding in years. If a place needs something more than a nice looking pair of slacks and top, we don't go. Been in some pretty upscale restaurants - 1/2 or more of the cliental is in jeans. And I can always go by something if I really need/want to dress up.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog