cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting for different months.

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
Finally retired in June and we have an rv lot rented for January and February in the panhandle. Two different rv parks. We live in Ohio and I'm asking for ideas on how we get our mail sent to Florida. This is our first time being away from home for this long. Thanks for ideas.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo
18 REPLIES 18

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in areas where RV Park refuses to get mail or boxes for us. So we paid for 3-6 mos at a UPS Store. Our FL UPS Store would ship the pkgs to the temporary UPS Store Box #.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're going to two different places within two months, I would recommend you have your post office forward your mail only one time and do so at the end of your first month stay to your second place and wait until you get home to view the rest. Do your really receive that much mail anymore? You are very likely to have some kind of mix-up if you try for each park within a three week block of time (excluding getting there; leaving; moving to another spot and leaving). That doesn't leave much time to wait around in case there's a mishap.

The very best is to have a neighbor or relative gather your mail daily and they can send your important-looking mail via Priority Mail to the local post office care of General Delivery. It'll get there in 3-4 days. Just make sure the post office is in a small town as bigger towns have multiple post offices and certain ones only accept general delivery.

Or...have them send it directly to your RV park but check first that they will accept it. Some do; some don't.

General Delivery is very safe and efficient. We've done it for 16 years of full-timing without any problems - all over the country, including Alaska.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using a UPS box for 6 years and the service has been great.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
As a quick note. We have Post Office forward to UPS address. Post Office doesn't forward junk mail.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Get a box at a UPS store. they will resend it anywhere u are. Just ask them to trash the junk mail.We try to do all are bills on the computer. But there is always snale mail.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
You will get many Responses. I presonally do not see any downside to using a UPS Mailbox. It works well for us. For those People who say it is bad Advice, please enlighten me.
God Bless!

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Disagree UPS Mailbox is a bad idea. Gives way more flexibility in mail delivery choices. Post office forwards to UPS. You call or email UPS they send to any address you request when you request.
Post office forwarding is good if you are going to be in one location for along time. Then you need to notify the post office to coordinate any move giving them time to affect the change.
We have ups send our mail every two weeks or as needed. Post office forwarding goes out everyday. UPS has worked well for us for over 10 years. There are other services that Let you view your mail on line.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Have the mail forwarded to a family member or trusted friend. They in turn can sort out the junk and send you the important mail ever couple weeks or as needed.
We are fulltime and this is how we do it.

We use our son's address as our permanent address, therefore all of our mail comes to him. This has worked great for the last 2 years of full timing.

The DW is going to the Post Office this week and purchasing several more soft sided pre-paid envelopes to leave with him. He sorts through our mail and throws away any junk, then about every two weeks he stuffs everything into one of the large soft envelopes and mails it to us at whatever address we tell him.

The prepaid envelopes she purchases from the post office are around $5.00 each but they hold a ton of mail and magazines.

Of course this easily works for us and our son because the mail is being delivered to his house. It would be a lot to ask if he had to stop at our residence every couple of days and collect our mail. But that is a non-issue because we sold the house and about everything else when we retired and went full time.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not use the forwarding service - bad advice.
Use the Postal Service's online "Temporary change of address" service.

Temporary change of address can be set up for up to six months at which time it will automatically end. It can be renewed for another six month (or less if you so choose) interval.
The temporary change of address can be done online at the usps.com
There is a one dollar credit card charge to complete the transaction.

The temp change of address will forward all first class mail. USPS will allow magazines subscriptions one issue to be forwarded but after that they won't be sent. You will have to contact the magazine to change your address.
Junk mail is not sent - and, amazingly, junk mail will cease to be sent to your home address.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Have the mail forwarded to a family member or trusted friend. They in turn can sort out the junk and send you the important mail ever couple weeks or as needed.
We are fulltime and this is how we do it.

X-2

Works for me, I have all of my bills delivered electronically via email. I set my banking up to use 'Bill Pay' on line. I talk to my daughter about my mail every three weeks or so and she pulls and opens any important appearing and calls me for instructions.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we tried the post office change of address and it never worked well. Now a family member checks our mail and forwards when we tell her to. Haven't used the USPS mail forwarding service but that might work. We used a service in Crestview FL www.myrvmail.com but you have to do a change of address and it's a bit more complicated.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the postal service will let you fill out two different mail forwarding forms with the dates filled in that you wish for mail to be forwarded to each place. Check with your local postmaster.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
UPS mailbox forwarding