cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hobbies

RV_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
My husband says I need to get some hobbies. My top favorite things to do is traveling and exploring...but I need something to do in my down time. I need something I can do when we are in our RV "relaxing"...I like to research on the internet and read books but I'd like to do something more "mindless" every once in a while. Any suggestions? What's your favorite in-the-rv hobbies?
RV Wife
The totally awesome RV Daily Life Video Blog Can Be Seen Here
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (17,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee
48 REPLIES 48

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Could be fun locating all the staples used to put the RV together with :B

Hadn't thought of that...could be even MORE fun if they put a super-powerful magnet on that puppy!

ON EDIT:

OOPS- sorry, O.P. RV Wife. Guess we were typing at the same time...sure you don't want to reconsider? ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
:B

HEY O.P. "RV Wife"! You still out there?

You just got three votes for "metal detecting" in response to your request for ideas for "inside-the-RV hobbies"!

RV_Wife wrote:
I need something I can do when we are in our RV "relaxing"...I like to research on the internet and read books but I'd like to do something more "mindless" every once in a while. Any suggestions? What's your favorite in-the-rv hobbies?

Whaddaya think? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm still here! You are right, it might be hard to metal detect anything of serious value to me inside of the RV! LOL. However, I've got a lot of good suggestions for both inside and outside of the RV so thanks everybody!!
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:

You just got three votes for "metal detecting" in response to your request for ideas for "inside-the-RV hobbies"!

RV_Wife wrote:
I need something I can do when we are in our RV "relaxing"...I like to research on the internet and read books but I'd like to do something more "mindless" every once in a while. Any suggestions? What's your favorite in-the-rv hobbies?

Whaddaya think? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Could be fun locating all the staples used to put the RV together with :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

RV_Wife wrote:

Whaddaya think? ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Metal detecting. Lots of fun and healthy exercise. I have a $1200 White's unit with a lot of bells and whistles that are SO wasted on me. My grandson's Garret 250 can be had for $212 on Amazon, is lighter, easier to set up and use, accurate, and perfectly adequate for the average hobbiest.

Quilting. DH bought me a 3/4 size sewing machine, so now I can piece all my blocks in a couple days, then hand quilt them in quiet times.

I also do camping videos on YouTube. All I need for that is an old Kodak Playsport. Not the best camera in the world, but it's small, water and impact resistant, and has an impressive battery life per charge. I have a lower end Nikon Coolpix that takes better video and audio, but it eats AA's like they are free and is not weather or impact resistant. If what you are looking for is the fact that Rainbow Country CG in Cedar Key has an enclosed dog exercise area and a cleaning station that will hold a 600# hog, or that there is no restaurant within walking or biking distance of a particular CG in St Augustine that is open for breakfast but it does have a free boat ramp and a bait shop, you aren't really going to reject my videos because they are not professional quality.

Rlaubert
Explorer
Explorer
buta4 wrote:
Metal detectors?

I second metal detectors... great exercise and depending on the finds can pay for itself.
Ray & Daisy Laubert

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like most things, the more passion you have for something, the better. Consider if you like, want or need the hobby to provide a certain activity level. Maybe photography will provide enough walking/hiking to meet that need and improve/maintain your health. Maybe you have health issues that your hobbies need to be more sedentary. Things like crafts, puzzles, video gaming, sewing, etc. You also might want to consider if your going to try to accomplish anything else with your hobby other than keeping you busy. Can you find one that benefits someone else as a act of kindness? One that might provide some extra income?

So my suggestion is decide what level of physical activity your want, what other goals you have for your hobby, then build a list of things that fit those needs and narrow it down to the one or two that you think you would be most passionate about trying. Having a couple hobbies is a good idea. Doing anything too often will get old. Even eating steak every night will have you begging for some variety eventually.

Good Luck in making your choices!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
I bring my sewing machine and sew fleece slippers and other warm stuff to sell on Etsy in the winter. Setting up, maintaining and stocking an online store is time consuming but rewarding.

Downtime is also a good time to grab your laptop and start organizing your recipes and photos. You shouldn't need an internet connection for that either.

Oh...good ideas! I always need to organize my photos and recipes (perfect rainy day projects)! I've been thinking of making a Yo-Yo Christmas wreath! That would be a super easy project to take on trips! I'm always thinking quilts, but smaller projects would be much more manageable!
๐Ÿ™‚
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

SMC
Explorer
Explorer
I do digital photography and use PhotoShop CC for post processing. I also do old photo restorations. Hubby is a retired church organist/choir director and we carry a small but fully functional church organ in our coach.
SMC
Home is Where We Park It!
2012 Newmar Dutch Star 4346
2013 Chevy Traverse

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
RV_Wife wrote:
My husband says I need to get some hobbies. My top favorite things to do is traveling and exploring...but I need something to do in my down time. I need something I can do when we are in our RV "relaxing"...I like to research on the internet and read books but I'd like to do something more "mindless" every once in a while. Any suggestions? What's your favorite in-the-rv hobbies?

It's cold and windy where we are right now so there is a lot of "down time" going on. Currently the wife is making a patch work baby blanket on the dining table. Pretty much pushing the limits of the space.

Me, I think the real reason I always buy older/used stuff is so I can restore it back to original condition. Just sold our MH that was all put back, and now getting a quality 5'ver back on-line.

The problem with RV's and hobbies is the size of the footprint it takes to support the hobby. Wife and I like to golf, just doesn't seem like the room we need to carry golf bags would be spending our limited space wisely.

What I have found out is how valuable a GPS is with it's Points of Interests. No matter where you are there is a little computer willing to tell you how to get somewhere that may interest you.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bring my sewing machine and sew fleece slippers and other warm stuff to sell on Etsy in the winter. Setting up, maintaining and stocking an online store is time consuming but rewarding.

Downtime is also a good time to grab your laptop and start organizing your recipes and photos. You shouldn't need an internet connection for that either.

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you'all are a little younger like us so there's lots of stuff. Looking at your blog, it looks like you're already doing some hiking and exploring which is high on our list! I speak from experience in saying that imagination is the only thing stopping you from being busy. We almost need to pull a trailer behind us for hobby stuff but we keep it all paired down in our space.

Just some suggestions of stuff you can do together or separate...

Metal detecting, shooting(my favorite), making jewelry(Brenda's favorite), genealogy for both of us, hiking/exploring, working out(me), happy hour :), cigars(me), walking our spoiled dogs, volunteering(Habitat, NRA Whittington Center, etc). We always keep our eyes open for stuff but we want to stay busy and active. There's already too many overweight people out there and we don't want to join them!!
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crosswords, saduko, jigsaw puzzles, watch tv, read, walk the dog, take photos, research jobs/rv parks, routes, facebook, facebook games, sitting around the campfire (community one here) for a few drinks, potluck or morning coffee. Card games, board games (if your partner will play them). Let your imagination run wild.

If sitting in one place for awhile, you could pot some flowers, herbs or vegetable plants and dress up the outside of your site.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
I used to put together model plastic Navy ships and planes, and painting them when younger. Also will probably take up some space. Might not be what you are looking for. Something this post reminded me reading through all of the replys, would like to start again someday. Have to have a lot of ventilation, using the glue. It was a favorite old hobby. Nice post.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992