cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor home vs Fifth Wheel

kendani6
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in the planning stages of going on the open road , if not full time, for long periods at a time. When it comes to maintenance and fuel costs, what would be the better route, A motor home pulling a toad, or Truck pulling a fifth wheel. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For me it is an EXIT PLAN. The MH cost $$$$ and resell after 4-6 years is ???

The TT or 5th cost $$ and resell is $.

I like the TT over the 5th because of the empty truck bed.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned almost every style of RV, the last two being a 40' motor home and a 35' 5th wheel. As many people say, there are pros and cons to each and unfortunately the only way to really know which is best for you is to try it out for a while.

The wife loved the layout and ride of the diesel pusher, plus she had a car to drive wherever we went. I prefer the maneuverability of the truck/5th wheel combo and the fact I have one less motor to maintain.
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
This is hard to evaluate as many post with only the experience in one type of RV. So they bias all comments to what they decided was best for them and never have any experience on the other side of the coin.

We have had pop ups, travel trailers, class C, class A and 5th wheels. We have lived long term in a class and a 5er. When we decided to go full time, my wife and I discussed the cost and the limitations each would place on out travels.

On the plus side for the 5er was better floor plans, more storage and only one vehicle to maintain and insure as a tow vehicle. The trailer still needed insurance and tags but minimal maintenance.

The down side was the convenience of the motorhome during travel days.

The motorhome was higher maintenance cost, lower fuel mileage (our 16,000#, 38' 5er and 1 ton diesel dually gets 10 to 11 mpg at 63 mph), higher insurance, less storage, you had to tow and maintain a towed vehicle and more limited access to service facilities. My Ford diesel truck can be serviced at any Ford dealer and a lot of independent shops.

A big negative on the motorhome was the fact that if you had mechanical problems with the chassis, you home went to the shop. With the 5er, ERS will tow the truck to a repair shop and the trailer to a campground.

But for each person, the choice is yours. All you can do is to weigh the information from everyone and weed out the BS.

Oh, our pets ride in the back seat of the truck...NO ONE EVER RIDES IN THE TRAILER.

Ken

Your 5er must be one of a kind. Our friends have a 36 5er and we have 3 times the storage in our DP. When we set up for a week or a month we get 28 mpg so it equals out.

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
MeanderMan wrote:
We've owned four 5th wheels and are on our second motor home; and have full-timed in both. For us, we prefer the motorhome - it's nice to have access to everything while going down the road, even to the point of making a cup of coffee in the Keurig. But, and it's a big one, if you're looking for less maintenance and higher mileage, a fiver is your best bet. A motor home comparable to a good-sized fiver will of probably be a DP, and they're more expensive to buy and maintain, and the mileage is about half of what a diesel pickup will get.

True but when we stop for a week or a month we travel in a CRV 28 MPG vs maybe 12-14 in our friends dually so to us it's a wash.

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I notice that when comparing a MH and 5vr, the topic always comes about when needing repair you lose your "home" with a MH.
I would be curious to see how many people have actually lost their "home" while waiting for repairs.
I would think most problems can be fixed fairly quickly especially if they know you need to live in the coach. If parts need to be ordered, you could likely stay in it until they come in.
I realize fulltimers don't have a choice, but someone with a SB house could defer maint items until it fits their schedule.
Or, how about a mobile RV repairman coming to the campground for smaller repairs.

Good point plus all most all repair shops will hook you up for the night if necessary. Matter of fact our friends stayed 2 nights outside a repair shop. BTW they were in a 5er. They have had a lot more problems with the 5er vs their truck.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is hard to evaluate as many post with only the experience in one type of RV. So they bias all comments to what they decided was best for them and never have any experience on the other side of the coin.

We have had pop ups, travel trailers, class C, class A and 5th wheels. We have lived long term in a class and a 5er. When we decided to go full time, my wife and I discussed the cost and the limitations each would place on out travels.

On the plus side for the 5er was better floor plans, more storage and only one vehicle to maintain and insure as a tow vehicle. The trailer still needed insurance and tags but minimal maintenance.

The down side was the convenience of the motorhome during travel days.

The motorhome was higher maintenance cost, lower fuel mileage (our 16,000#, 38' 5er and 1 ton diesel dually gets 10 to 11 mpg at 63 mph), higher insurance, less storage, you had to tow and maintain a towed vehicle and more limited access to service facilities. My Ford diesel truck can be serviced at any Ford dealer and a lot of independent shops.

A big negative on the motorhome was the fact that if you had mechanical problems with the chassis, you home went to the shop. With the 5er, ERS will tow the truck to a repair shop and the trailer to a campground.

But for each person, the choice is yours. All you can do is to weigh the information from everyone and weed out the BS.

Oh, our pets ride in the back seat of the truck...NO ONE EVER RIDES IN THE TRAILER.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
the main consideration to me would be in a motorhome you could tow a small toad, 4x4, whatever, to make your side trips, excursions, city driving, etc.
with a large 5er you are stuck driving a gas guzzling huge vehicle dual wheels around.
bumpy

I agree and a MH makes it easy to take our pets and guest along. With a Trailer...the cats, dog and guests would end up in the trailer going down the road! It's also nice to be able to pull off at a rest area, have lunch and even take a nap without having to worry about anything or even get out of the rig if we don't want to.Since we have the interior climate already adjusted...no need to fire up a genny to cool off or heat up a trailer for quick naps or lunch. But, that's our choice...to each is own!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

MeanderMan
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned four 5th wheels and are on our second motor home; and have full-timed in both. For us, we prefer the motorhome - it's nice to have access to everything while going down the road, even to the point of making a cup of coffee in the Keurig. But, and it's a big one, if you're looking for less maintenance and higher mileage, a fiver is your best bet. A motor home comparable to a good-sized fiver will of probably be a DP, and they're more expensive to buy and maintain, and the mileage is about half of what a diesel pickup will get.
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Camped about half the time the last five years and watched a lot of folks pull in set up and then take down to leave. A large fifth wheel will take longer, so if you are a traveler vs sitter you will use more time setting a fifth wheel. When it is raining, you may not have to get outside the MH to setup, run the gen set. When the DW needs the third potty stop of the day pulling into the road ramp to make a sandwich and beer while she goes to the pot is easy. Ups, make that a near beer.

I am a MH guy so I am biased

pops

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
IMO, there is an allure to the MH, but it fades quickly for me once I start looking at floor plans and interiors. My Cameo has a very residential feel to it...most coaches have a bus feeling to them that just doesn't work for me. Add to the that expense to purchase and specialty maintenance of a large frame vehicle and you know how I'll vote.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to not worry as much about weights etc. Jim-Linda is right about too many variables....depends on you. You're towing something either way!

This.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DianneOK wrote:
We fulltimed for nine years.....anytime we needed repairs, even major ones, we were able to stay in our fiver

X2 - 16 years for us. It certainly is no issue.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltimed for nine years.....anytime we needed repairs, even major ones, we were able to stay in our fiver
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I notice that when comparing a MH and 5vr, the topic always comes about when needing repair you lose your "home" with a MH.
I would be curious to see how many people have actually lost their "home" while waiting for repairs.
I would think most problems can be fixed fairly quickly especially if they know you need to live in the coach. If parts need to be ordered, you could likely stay in it until they come in.
I realize fulltimers don't have a choice, but someone with a SB house could defer maint items until it fits their schedule.
Or, how about a mobile RV repairman coming to the campground for smaller repairs.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned several class A coaches and three fifth wheels, I like both! We have what will probably be our last one which is a 39' fifth wheel.

We'll be staying in one place for extended stays starting in June. If we were still " turning and burning" we would prefer the coach.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.