cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tell me if you think this is a wise purchase

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have much information, so I know that it may not be enough to go on.

We have been looking for rv's , mainly at 5th wheels, to full-time in. Our plans are to stay put most of the year in a long-term park and travel during vacations and summer. We wanted an rv that was less than 10 years old.

Someone at my husbands work has a rarely used, 20 year old, diesel pusher, class A motor home. I don't have any specifics on amenities, slides, etc, but, supposedly, it was owned by someone's father who passed away and had taken very good care of it and properly stored it when not in use.

The price is $15,000.

The thing I am worried about is the ten year rule, especially in a long-term park. We will take a picture of the vehicle and take it to the park before we purchase, if this is a good deal, and see if they would accept it. From what I have read, most rv parks don't enforce the 10 year rule unless the rv is showing its age - I still worry a bit about it, though.

I'll have more info on this unit, hopefully, later today. I just need to be armed with as much information as possible before I go look at it.

We've traveled in a bare bones class A before...a very old class A (1978)

What do you think about the price and age? My husband is an automotive instructor in a school with a diesel program and is quite handy, if that makes a difference.
13 REPLIES 13

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a brand new 2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel last year for $16k from Camping World, and this was in California, one of the most expensive states in the lower 48. Have been full-timing in it for over a year now and love it.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

Boonedocks
Explorer
Explorer
Don't give up. Maybe it is a Newell worth $100K that any park would love to see roll through the gate. We just need to know what it is to advise you.

wishin'andhopin' wrote:
I don't have more info yet, but JAXFL's response:

In this area a 20 year old MH is way below $15K. I see 8-15 year old ones for sale for $8-12K all the time.

was exactly what I need.

I'm not worried about the mechanical end of it. Like I said, my husband is an instructor in a school with a diesel program and can adequately assess whether it is sea worth, so to speak.

After more consideration, it's probably not going to be a good deal and won't be what we need.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue towing 2006 Ford Focus. Follow our full timing adventures at The BooneDocks

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed in many different parks in the Eastern part of the country. Rarely is the 10-yr rule in force. We've seen some with lots of gray Duct Tape holding them together.

That doesn't mean they are bad places to stay, rather they are cheap enough rent even for fulltimer's who never move.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a diesel pusher and given the lifestyle you described, I would stick with the fifth wheel. You stated you would be staying put most of the time. Engines like to be exercised and the maintenance costs for a diesel pusher will be much higher than that of a fifth wheel even if your husband does the work. You are also looking at an older coach so even if the engine is in good shape, you need to look at the house items, such as the refrigerator, hot water heater, stove, etc.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Do you already have a capable tow vehicle if you choose the 5th wheel? If not, your costs will be substantially higher to purchase a truck to tow the 5th. Since you plan on sitting for a large part of the year, I would go with the 5th for a more livable floor plan and more space than an older MH is likely to provide.

I also agree with this and about the tow vehicle. If you don't have one and are going to set in one place for long periods, have the dealer or seller pull it to the site and set it up for you and leave it there.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already have a capable tow vehicle if you choose the 5th wheel? If not, your costs will be substantially higher to purchase a truck to tow the 5th. Since you plan on sitting for a large part of the year, I would go with the 5th for a more livable floor plan and more space than an older MH is likely to provide.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would keep your original plans to find a Fifth Wheel. It will keep the confusion down. This is what I am doing in my planning. Norrowing possiblities and reaserching to find the right fit. For me its down to a Fifth Wheel or a TC. Even have the 5'vr and TC picked. Just have to find the right fit, leaning 5'vr for more room, but like TC's also, for remote camping.
Jmho, best of luck in your search.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Usmcsousa
Explorer
Explorer
93-97 diesel pushers around my area are around the 10k range..most are hurting pretty badly.
Home is where the Marine Corps sends me.

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have more info yet, but JAXFL's response:

In this area a 20 year old MH is way below $15K. I see 8-15 year old ones for sale for $8-12K all the time.

was exactly what I need.

I'm not worried about the mechanical end of it. Like I said, my husband is an instructor in a school with a diesel program and can adequately assess whether it is sea worth, so to speak.

After more consideration, it's probably not going to be a good deal and won't be what we need.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that in purchasing a 20 year old motorhome the 10 year rule would be the least of your concerns. Engine, tires, Brakes, leaks,roof appliances, water heater, generator, electrical all should be examined closely.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Make?
Model?
A 1994 DP will likely have no slides, maybe one.
Maintenance records?
Does everything work?
Tires? Age is more important than tread remaining.
Price could be reasonable, or high, depending on the answers above.....
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
In this area a 20 year old MH is way below $15K. I see 8-15 year old ones for sale for $8-12K all the time. I also agree with SCOTT you need a great deal more info, a face to face with teh MH, a mechanic to check it out, and then a call to where you want to park it to see what the rules there are. Much more work to do on your part.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think folks need a lot more info about the RV before judging it.