cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 air filters

Riverrattralph
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain with a 454 and Qjet carb. What is the inner air filter for and how do you clean it?

21 REPLIES 21

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I am late but I just got the rig back from my service center and I asked them about the filter.. My service center which works on trucks said The metal filter is just a flame arrestor. Blow it out with air as long as you run the regular filter in front of it.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt this is one, but there are air filter setups that have an inner filter portion that serves as something of a "last chance" filter. I believe it is designed to filter the air to some degree should something happen to breach the main filter. However, the theory about the pictured screen serving as a backfire protector seems very plausible.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
the paper filter must be replaced, and should be within the maintenance guidelines set in the manual.

The inner filter, in theory, should never get dirty is the paper filter has always been replaced within schedule.

If you need to clean the inner filter, you'll need some solvent, a hose, and maybe some compressed air. clean it off the vehicle until it is spotless and dry.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
My old 65 ford had dual filters the outer was an oil bath type
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riverrattralph wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Yes what Born TO Travel said. Common set up for high dust environments. Get both filters. I even have the same setup on my lawn mower.
Bill

It is not a foam pre filter. Where can you buy the metal filter?

I missed that it was metal. Wash out the metal one with solvent and replace the paper one. The outer metal filter is probably a flame or spark retarder to prevent fires from backfiers.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Spray the metal one with carb cleaner and then blow it out with air compressor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Riverrattralph
Explorer
Explorer
MotorPro wrote:
Its not a filter. Its a flame arrester. It is suppose to prevent a fire if it backfires. They are reguired on boats.

That's what I was thinking but on a boat you can take off and clean with soapy water but I since this is fastened to the pan and I am not sure what is inside of the screen I am afraid it may block shut if it gets wet. Someone mentioned it was a charcoal filter to reduce fuel fumes inside. I just can't help but think it has to be replaceable or cleanable since you need the best airflow you can get.

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a filter. Its a flame arrester. It is suppose to prevent a fire if it backfires. They are reguired on boats.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What are the dimensions of that filter? Height, outer diameter, inner diameter

Screened mesh is to contain backfire from carb.

Here is one by WIX......LINK

I was thinking backfire protection too.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are the dimensions of that filter? Height, outer diameter, inner diameter

Screened mesh is to contain backfire from carb.

Here is one by WIX......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Riverrattralph
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a foam filter on the outside. This is the metal inner filter that sits inside of the normal paper filter. You can see on the bottom of the pan where the paper filter sits outside

Riverrattralph
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Yes what Born TO Travel said. Common set up for high dust environments. Get both filters. I even have the same setup on my lawn mower.
Bill

It is not a foam prefilter. Where can you buy the metal filter?

Riverrattralph
Explorer
Explorer
This is a picture of both filters installed. the outer filter is the paper filter with the rubber seal around the top and the metal filter is on the inside of it with a metal top to it. It is almost like a flame arrester or a charcoal filter

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain