cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24 foot Class B Questions

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 2000 van has cost us plenty this year. We take good care of it and are up with the maintenance but things happen.

This year alone we have replaced all six tires, new rear brakes, new motor for passenger side window and new computer.

We headed out on a nice Friday in July and our destination was the Grand Mesa in Colorado. We got as far as Sweetwater, Texas, where we stopped for lunch. The van would not start. After some "wraggling" with Good Sam Roadside Assistance we found a place that would at least look at it and it was towed to a Dodge Dealer in Abilene. The rebuilt ECM that was replaced in May failed...so a new one was ordered and our trip was history.

Now we have a gray water water leak and we are replacing the Dometic refrigerator that died in October.

We looked at new vans (yikes $$$$$$) and saw some real "Purdy" ones but decided to wait.

Now for my question: We looked at some ERA's and an airstream and they were 24 feet long. Do any of you use these as a daily driver? And where do you hang your clothes? We saw some very small closets. Do you hang your clothes in the shower stall?

We will keep on camping with our beloved old van but will continue to look for a gently used van that fits our needs.

Does anyone else have an older van that they keep pouring money into?

Thanks!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
65 REPLIES 65

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I read something that Peugeot (which GM owns 7% of) might be getting with GM to rebrand their Boxer as a Chevy or GMC van. The ironic thing... the Peugeot Boxer is identical to the Ducato.

Of course, GM will have to figure out how to get the five speed manual and Multijet engine which works everywhere else in the world up to US specs (US customers demand an auto transmission and the EPA here requires very high emissions standards.)

If this does happen, I will be genuinely surprised to not see a complete market of dedicated Ducato/ProMaster/Boxer upfitting companies selling "B"s and "C"s.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
The IVEC Decato conversion you show is a vast improvement

It is actually FIAT that makes the Ducato. IVECO makes the substantially stronger RWD/4WD Daily, both are are used as Motorhome bases.IVECO is FIAT Industrial.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Like I noted elsewhere: I looked at a 2012 Roadtrek Adventurous yesterday and simply could not understand the logic of having the galley on the drivers side. Nice rig. Dumb layout.Sorry.I am a pragmatic(but good-natured) design engineer--not of RVs, of course.
Hi David.Thought you were on a long trip.
AL

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
The galley on the drivers side must be a weight distribution or tank issue. It is quite plain that most customers would prefer it the other way. Who wants to have most of their windows overlooking the neighbors campsite or lose visibility while driving?

Nah, it is just a design issue, IMO. Several other B converters have the kitchen counter on the passenger side. It appears Roadtrek chose to continue the design layout they had with their Chevys that had just a single narrow door instead of a wide sliding door. That and the desire to provide versatile models with one or two additional passenger seats up front. Obviously it is successful for them. Leisure Travel Vans, the first to convert a Sprinter started out with a similar plan with the kitchen counter on the driver's side but switched shortly after. It's just a design choice. Airstream and Winnebago's settled on following the leader, RT. LTV, P-W, GWV and Advanced RV went the opposite. Winnebago ERA 70A and LTV FS SS chose to expand the design parameters. Some of the now defunct Sprinter converters had different layouts. For the most part compared to Europe the plan choices are not that many.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Boy we 've really hijacked this thread." Take dis thread to Cuba !!!! "

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
The galley on the drivers side must be a weight distribution or tank issue. It is quite plain that most customers would prefer it the other way. Who wants to have most of their windows overlooking the neighbors campsite or lose visibility while driving?

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The IVEC Decato conversion you show is a vast improvement. I must have missed the shower in the bathroom? I saw a 2012 Roadtrek Adverturous yesterday and I dont understand why the galley is located on the driver's side and not the passenger side where the chef can look out the window or pass out goodies to people outside sitting under the awning. Seems counter-intuitive to me. I really like your Australian 4x4 rvs to showed us a while back. Greetings from sunny Vancouver Island where we had 31C yesterday--Australian weather. Convert that to Fahrenheit for my USA RV friends--90s I guess.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
I would actually like this set up. After being in a few Rental B's. This looks ideal.

I am not a great fan of the bed being across the Motorhome or pushed to the back. A Bit cramped for me.
Yes you know these are from Australia.

My Sister slept in my Uncles IVECO Ducato B (20ft), it was a very nice conversion, for his 60th Wedding anniversary. They had ran out of beds for older adult relatives to sleep in. The Younger set went to a Motel not far away.
Then I have slept in an Off Road Caravan very nice but towing it would be another story.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The Travato body and drivetrain especially with the diesel is fine but the interior woodwork/cabinetry looks pretty pedestrian.Not up to ROadtrek,GWV,PW,LT or other Sprinters. Bed is too small.Interior is not as good as many similar sized RVs. Might be cheaper but it should be!!Needs a SPrinter quality interior. ERA is good so why not Travato?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Ifloom wrote:
Nifty, Robert Ryan. I always enjoy your pics. Actually, the class Bs are pretty similar to their American cousins, but the bed that can raise is pretty nifty. Is that just for transport, or you can you sleep on it that way?

For transporting while you are not sleeping on it, but lowered down when you want to go to bed.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
If he does, I hope he posts lots of pictures.

Patience, my man, patience.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If he does, I hope he posts lots of pictures.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Davydd wrote:
I think if we ever get another B that I am going to have to design my own bed. No one has one that I 100% like.

Dave, Talk to Mike at advanced-RV. He will custom just about anything you want if is possible.

Believe me George, he is or will fairly soon
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd. Why wait? Find someone to make it the way you want now.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
After wandering to the Sportsmobile factory a few times, I think they are probably the closest vendor to the above Aussie/European stuff in terms of fit, finish, and quality. SMB rigs tend not to have indirect lighting, but they are very functional. Only downside is price; SMB will not budge on their costs, but like anything of quality, you feel the pain once.