cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8 V10 E450 mpg on Ford

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, my friend wants to buy a 24 ft Motorhome. What would be mpg on 6.8 V10 E450. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend with a similar older C to mine (both 460's) who travels to a few of the same air shows as I do used to rib me about driving at 65 or 70 and wasting soooo much gas, he stuck to 55 religiously.

Then I pointed out that the difference was 0.5 mpg between his speed and mine. So on a 1,000 mile run to Florida (2k round-trip) that meant 235 gallons instead of 250 gallons, even at $4 / gal. a difference of $60 and 36.25 hours of driving time versus 30.75 hours, a savings of 5.5 hours of driving time.

My time worth more than $10.90 / hour.

He now runs right along with the rest of us.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
If one were to look at some people's prior posts it would seem some were way too obsessed with MPG. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yup, it is what it is.
I calculated it twice in my career as a full timer out of curiosity. Now I just drive fill up, drive fill up and repeat the process! :B

Everytime i fill up I am just glad that I am not staying in a crummy hotel for 125 a night, eating crappy food and not being able to take a nap comfortably at a rest stop if need be. Can't beat a motorhome. If you

dread the thought of pumping 150 dollars worth of fuel into your ride you need another hobby.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
If one were to look at some people's prior posts it would seem some were way too obsessed with MPG. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yup, it is what it is.
I calculated it twice in my career as a full timer out of curiosity. Now I just drive fill up, drive fill up and repeat the process! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GA_FRANK
Explorer
Explorer
So far we have seen from 7.4 to 10.1. E-450 v-10 31'.

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Our 32-foot Jayco Greyhawk on an E-450 chassis gets 8-9 mpg at about 60 mph. That is loaded for a week long trip and no toad.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper 2012 wrote:
some people say 7.5 some people say 10 now I'm confused

It depends on how one drives. Above 30-35 mph most of the drag is from pushing air, that goes up with the square of speed, the amount of power needed and fuel used thus goes up with the cube of speed.

The range of MPGs observed can be even greater than that. I'll say 5 MPG to 12 MPG to confuse you more.

My 2003 E-450 carrying 30-foot 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 house, usually loaded to about 13,000 pounds has average 8.2 MPG over 30,000 miles. I've recorded every mile, every gallon. Individual fills have ranged from 4.9 to 12.1 MPG, depending mostly on how fast I've been driving, whether I have headwinds or tailwinds, or if I'm climbing over mountain passes. Traveling mostly on the plains where wind speeds are often 15-30 mph, whether I'm fighting that wind or it is pushing me makes a huge difference. Also, climbing a 6% grade at 50-60 MPH will at least trip fuel consumption, compared to running on the flats at that speed.

In Missouri, on the Interstates, I'm going guess about 8 MPG. Most drivers in this part of the country have difficulty staying under the speed limit, he likely won't be cruising 55 MPH in 70 MPH zones. I-44 and south, you've got a lot of grades going across valleys in the Ozark Plateau, and going downhill you don't really get back all the extra gas you used trying to maintain highway speeds going up the hill.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
31 ft towing, 11 mpg.

The trick for higher mpg on the V-10 is keeping it at 55 mph. Drive faster than that and the mpg drops drastically.

Try some time you will be surprised. And there is an equation out there that shows that driving 20 miles an hour faster only nets you a couple of minutes earlier to a destination.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Camper 2012 wrote:
some people say 7.5 some people say 10 now I'm confused

There's a range of MPG these things are capable of. Those numbers are in the range. I have 24' it has probably averaged about 9 MPG. I've had trips which came in at 8.5 due to speed and wind, and others that came in at 9.6 to 10. It is all in the driving conditions.

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
We get 7.5 to 8.3 with our toad and if I keep my foot out of it

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting an AVIDA Escape Diesel(23ft very similar to Travato 59G) got 18mpg in US Gallons
The AVIDA Longreach (27,000lb GCVWR ) brand spanking new got 12.6mpg in US Gallons
So these figures for the V10 are very heavy, You would need to get a LPG conversion here to get SUV costs for a trip

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2014 E450, 31 ft Winnie.
Over the last 16 months and 9000 miles, the gas mileage has averaged 9 mpg overall with a tow being pulled--Honda CRV. I have seen 11 mpg, but not often, never below 7 mpg.
I think my driving style is fairly conservative, which I think is a major factor for good mileage. I drive mainly Interstates, using cruise, at 60 mph, and let the cruise downshift if needed.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Our 24 ft Minnie on the E450 has averaged 9.5 mpg over the past 60,000 miles.

As already mentioned, speed and quick acceleration kills mileage. I mostly drive 55-60 mph and use a light foot on the gas as much as possible.

RVs and good gas mileage don't go together.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting 9.5 to a little over 10 mpg with a 23 ft Coach House on the E450 Ford chassis; the Coach House is more streamlined than many older Class C's in that it doesn't have an upper bunk overhang over the cab. Several other brands are also similar in design and get good mileage too.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winnebago Outlook, 29' 2008 model. I usually drive it about 58 mph, no toad, no cruise control and I average 8.7 mpg. If conditions are perfect, no headwind, flat land highway, I can squeeze 9 mpg out of it. That said I find it best to not worry about MPG and just enjoy the lifestyle the motorhome affords us. Happy travels!!!
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA