cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

62 be very very good to you mph

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
So yesterday I gave it a try. 62 mph at about 2200 rpm. Engine was very quiet. Hardly had to change lanes except sometimes for slow merging vehicles. Took a little longer but still averaged about 50 for 400 miles. Was especially comfortable when there were three lanes. There were usually trucks going the same speed that I used as traffic blockers. Haha. I would stay just ahead of a slow truck and that kept traffic off my bumper. Heading for Petersburg Va today and Maine by Fri or Sat.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂
34 REPLIES 34

barth
Explorer
Explorer
For us going to Arizona for the winter is a 6000 miles round trip.
I drive at 62mph, 1500RPM. I needed 600 gallons of diesel for the trip.
To me, 10 MPG is good enough while I tow my car.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I run at 70 if the speed limit is 70. Higher, if the speed limit is higher. I win't live forever and I want to spend more time parked than I do driving, especially over roads that I have driven on many times. The fuel mileage difference is not enough to bother me, so higher speed, and getting to my destination sooner, is my sweet spot. 🙂

I'm with you. Our Knight is perfectly comfortable and safe up way over 70. I'm most comfortable at maybe 68, maybe faster.
I'm comfortable at 62 mph, but then my wife gets in and drives 70 mph. She says she has places to go. I close my eyes and get some sleep.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
I try to keep mine about 57, especially if I can use cruisecontrol. We also
try to stay off Interstate highways. The views on the US and state highways
are much better and there is less traffic and speeding "nuts"

Storage_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We've always been under a tight time line to get here...there...and back to work. So I've run as fast as the speed limit and road conditions would allow.

That said, we're retired now (early) and the next trip (this summer) we will be in no hurry to get anywhere! Looks like we will have a new diesel pusher and the 62mph thing sounds just fine.

Going west...then up to Oregon to see friends and back down to Phoenix, San Antonio, and back to Tulsa...if we don't decide to go some other place. Will stay out 3...4...maybe 5 weeks.

Looking forward to a slow trip for a change!
Gary & Misty
2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 FOR SALE
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
2013 Ranger Z118 45th Anniversary Edition W Mercury 150HP
2014 Cardinal 3850RL
2014 Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Longhorn

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run 65, which is 2000RPM in the bus.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I fine that 58/59is good for me --happy-camping

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree. That's the sweet spot for our power plant (62mph @ 2200rpm) and it's a much more stress free drive. I've determined that our destination has always been there when we arrive. So there is really NO hurry to get anywhere for us. JMHO
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
Thats my sweet spot also but sometimes I just throw all caution to the wind and kick it up to 65 😞

Same here. Back when fuel was a buck 50, used to run at 65 - 70. Now 62mph is more enjoyable and doesn't take too much longer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usually hold her to 60 but 62 is OK too.. faster than that the gas gauge moves faster than the speedometer (And in the other direction)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford 460 is at peak efficiency at 2400 rpms which on a windless flat road is 62mph.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
In Australia you can sit on 100kmh all day long(depending on the road). Most do 85Kmh-90kmh for winding and slower for some dirt roads.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder wrote:
When we were running a Dually/f'ver combo I had a habit of running 3-5 mph over the speed limit .In my mind I justified this because everything seemed stable with no problems.this changed with a blowout on the f'ver that took two tires out..
With the bounder now I'm very aware of the weight and how a blowout on the front could be disastrous.So I try to keep my speed in check and enjoy the ride.Also the 460 seems to decent on mileage if I keep it in the 55-60 mph range

How bad did the blow-out feel? I admire you for taking note of the danger's of going too fast with a huge rig.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
When we were running a Dually/f'ver combo I had a habit of running 3-5 mph over the speed limit .In my mind I justified this because everything seemed stable with no problems.this changed with a blowout on the f'ver that took two tires out..
With the bounder now I'm very aware of the weight and how a blowout on the front could be disastrous.So I try to keep my speed in check and enjoy the ride.Also the 460 seems to decent on mileage if I keep it in the 55-60 mph range
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Today, while heading out to my storage unit which is 26 miles from my house, I jump on the I-10 in Southern California which is 70 mph, 55 for trucks and vehicles towing. I come up on a late model Holiday Rambler Ambassador pulling a trailer with a full size pick-up truck on it.

I'm running about 72 mph and pass the HR and then fall back a little because of traffic. I was going 65 mph and the HR was gaining speed coming up on my tail. He was generally running 70 mph most of the way while we were on the freeway together. To me, that is just too fast with such a heavy trailer.

A blip like a blow-out, an obstacle in the road, or anything else, could be a lot of fun if you are next to this vehicle barreling down the road.

JMO,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins