cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost 10 years old-what to do

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 2006 monaco knight that only has 28,000 miles on it. Since I only put 1400 miles a year on it and traveled mostly within 250 miles of home, I was kicking around trading it for a brand new higher end fifthwheel. One other factor is that I will have to trade in my 4 year old Toyota tundra toward a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I don't want to make a hasty decision but a lot of people tell me that my motorhome value will drop like a rock once it hits 10 years old. They say the primary reason is because most banks won't finance a unit this old. i can't see myself getting anymore use out of one over the other but I just feel that a Diesel engine sitting for long periods is not good. Any input would be appreciated.
31 REPLIES 31

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a magic number where it drops like a rock, rather where depreciation flattens out and works toward a residual value that depends more on condition and remaining utility. For cars, 10 years makes it hard to finance, but the effect is the same, it is already where market price flattens out.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
If part of your decision is that you want a 5th wheel for the layout than go for it. If you are looking solely at saving money, others have said it. You will loose far more on the first year of your new rigs. Maybe those that are telling you that you will loose money after 10 years is because the trade in value has a tipping point, which may be 10 years at which it might take a larger drop than at 9 or 11 years but it is still much less than depreciation on new. If you are going to trade in in the next couple of years, that is a consideration or you can drive the wheels off of it.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Monaco Dipl with 86000 miles on. We bought for the long haul. Alaska , east coast etc. We had great time in it and wouldn't trade those experiences. We knew it would be a depreciating asset and when we sold it we would lose money. We just moved our stuff out of it and are getting ready to sell it. We've had 11 years of " big RV traveling". Now were downsizing to a small trailer. Why? One, cause we want to and two the big RV doesn't fit our needs anymore .¡!We still want to RV, just gonna do a different way. Life is short. Do the rv'ing the way you want to. If you like the big RV . Keep it. If you want to change then do so. We're not rich with unlimited funds but if you want to make a change, figure out the best way and do it. We didn't get into RV' ing cause we needed to. Email me if anybody's interested

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mind some darker carpet but how do they get it under the slide outs. My motorhome has 4 slideouts

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe it's time to do a little updating on your rig. Some new carpet, furniture or what ever would make the coach more enjoyable may be just the thing to renew your interest in it.

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my 2006 monaco knight 4 years ago for a little less than half the sticker price of a new one. The first two owners took the big hit and yes, it's paid for. I also though of another class A but on the ford chassis so it's s little easier to maintain. The wife would rather stay with the class A over a trailer if we did do something.I appreciate all your input and since I haven't fallen in love with anything I look at, I will keep it until I do and then revisit this decision.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with coaches over 10 yo is that financing can be difficult to get or restrictive on term. The flip side is that there are a lot of potential buyers since the real high end units become affordable to a larger market segment and they start to retain value much better than new coaches.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that well kept MH's over 10 years old represent the best bang for the buck and certainly would not sell one just because it reaches that age....especially just to buy something that starts the depreciation cycle all over again. If it's in good shape and you still enjoy it, keep it and save the $$$.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at the depreciation charts for coaches and there is no big dip at over 10 years old. The biggest dip is in the first few years. I would just enjoy it.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Norm___Deb
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is 14 years old and at 130K it is just getting broke in, and I am quite familure with its systems. I wouldn't trade it for a new one, and have to go through the "fixing things" process again. If I were you I would keep what I had. Just my opinion.
Norm

2001 Monaco Knight 38' DP Triple Slide
2001 4WD Blazer in back

"Everything I will ever tell you will be 100% the truth, or would be 100% the truth if it actually happened."

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The deprecation curve looks like a hockey stick. The largest loss is within the first 4 years, once it gets past the bend it levels off to a straight line and depreciates at a constant rate. Your older MH will loose a lot less valve than a new 5th wheel because at 10 years old you are passed the knee of the curve.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is going on 11 years old and I have no intention of selling it and putting money into another one especially because I don't like the layouts of most of the TT's out there these days.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I have a 18 year old DP that I use every weekend. Paid for and won't hardly get worth any less but its top of the line and the little things that break now and then cost far less than 1 months payment on a new one......keep on riding the one you have.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your TEN YEAR thing is about not being able to get into some camp grounds due to the 10-year policy I wouldn't worry about that either unless your trailer looks very trashy hehe.... Those type policies are in place to allow the campground owners to keep the real trashy looking RV's off their parking places.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I agree. Keep what you've got, if your only reason for trading is to avoid being unable to sell later. Keep it until the wheels fall off or YOUR wheels fall off (thus leaving the problem to the kids to solve).

Inability of some other person to get financing isn't your problem, it is their problem.