cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ants

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone have a good prevention method for keeping ants out of the coach? I am in central Florida now and we are just starting to see a few ants in the coach.
Thanks
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
17 REPLIES 17

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Ronnie's post on using Boric Acid! Also use warm soapy water when you see ants using a trail! Ants leave a residue when they walk and they use this residue trail to find there way back to the nest. Soapy water eliminates the residue trail!

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
Use Old Dutch, scouring power or any other. sprinkle around tires.
worked well for me.

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

kjbkjb
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a formula for preventing ants that I found on a forum (maybe this one) several years ago. I canโ€™t say for certain if it works but I can say I use it and have never had an ant issue. It is non-toxic and actually has a pleasant fragrance which might be why ants donโ€™t like it. I apply it to the power cord at the point where it leaves the ground with a standard trigger 32 ounce spray bottle.

โ€ข 1 bottle pure mint extract from the spice section
โ€ข ยผ cup rubbing alcohol
โ€ข Couple squirts dish soap for adherence
โ€ข Fill with water
โ€ข Safe inside and outside

wendaustin
Explorer
Explorer
aboeck3 wrote:
does anyone have a good prevention method for keeping ants out of the coach? I am in central Florida now and we are just starting to see a few ants in the coach.
Thanks

There are many home remedies that works on ants. For example, keeping home clean and free of sustenance morsels. Furthermore, fixing all the gaps of their entrance. However, these solutions can temporary.
Besides, ants are an extremely adaptive species and are very persistent in getting what they want.Hence, a professional pest exterminator like exterminator nyc is must in getting rid of them.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
I used cornmeal on a persistent ant hill last year. So far this year, none have come back. They sure did scurry around to haul all that cornmeal back to their hideout under the flagstone patio.

T-Karma
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water, spray the trails where you see the ants. Also great for general cleaning and safe for all.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some links. Previous poster got me to thinking, what's been said about molasses already?

First link

Link 2

Link 3

have fun!

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
IMO best stuff around
Clicky

X2. This is borax and (probably) sugar, and it works! You can get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
You can spread a powder such as baking powder around your tires and anything else that provides a path. This won't kill anything but it will discourage them from coming in as they won't cross the powder. This is inexpensive and pet friendly and works well if you are not at that location for a long time.

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesnโ€™t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO best stuff around
Clicky

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember when you bait you will draw them into the RV. If they are not inside don't bring them in.
Never heard of the molasses trick. I don't know if I can buy the dried molasses. I should be able to buy a jar of wet and put it in the dehydrator right?

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I got them one year while in Fla. I think they may have gotten in by dropping from a tree as I saw no signs on the ground. What worked for me was Boraxo soap. I even had them in the ceiling and had to drill a small hole in the closet so I could spray it into the area using a ear syringe. No more ants. You can also sprinkle some in areas where they will track through it and carry it back to the nest. Also safe to use.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A mixture of sugar and boric acid(easily bought at any pharmacy) dissolved in hot water, and then put in little cups or bottle caps around the areas of the coach that has a problem. This will kill all of the ants and they will carry it back to the queen to kill the entire colony.
Since we keep the small bait cups in our coach, we do not have a problem with ants at all. This works for the black, red, and fire ants.
This also kills other insects but since you are asking about ants.......

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave FL you might not have an ant problem, if you stay in FL you my always have an ant problem.