cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a wife who overpacks motorhome?

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My late wife believed in traveling light including her closet. My wife now jams every drawer and closet full. Mixers, electric oven, groceries (we don't even eat in that much). Now it's emergency rations in the basement. Anyone else have this problem. :h
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
61 REPLIES 61

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Anyone have a husband who overpacks? Tools that really aren't needed, tons of fishing stuff, lots of stuff for 'just in case', silly outside decorations, cases of beer. This can go both ways 🙂

The tools you don't bring along are the ones you need. By packing tools, the likelihood of problems is drastically reduced. 😉

First trip I tried to pack a toolkit and was told, "those are heavy and you told me I couldn't take some of my stuff because it was too heavy." So after the first couple of trips, where I had to go buy this or that for a simple fix, I wound up with enough duplicate tools (from what I had left at home) that I was able to put together a pretty good tool kit devoted to the RV.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Anyone have a husband who overpacks? Tools that really aren't needed, tons of fishing stuff, lots of stuff for 'just in case', silly outside decorations, cases of beer. This can go both ways 🙂

The tools you don't bring along are the ones you need. By packing tools, the likelihood of problems is drastically reduced. 😉
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I put 40 cases of water in our 35 MH wife had a brain fart

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
I am the wife and I pack light, I have a small teardrop that I tow with a Beetle so no excess here. Not even the husband I leave him at home. He doesn't like camping

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did. She died. After 3 /12 years I'm still trying to sort out what she put in the motorhome, I'll bring something only to find one of them is already out there.

Not as bad as in the house, where I sometimes buy something I think I need but probably already have, only to find out months later where she put it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
I wish I had that problem, still flying solo and don't like it much

I know how you feel, I lost two wives within 5 years. God said" It is not good for man to be alone" and I certainly agree.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not any more LOL.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My GF only brings a duffelbag no matter the duration of the trip. I'm thinking she's wife material 🙂

This past weekend we traveled with my 2 kids, and her 2 young nephews (6 of us in total). Huge difference in clutter compared to just the 2 of us. We made it work, but some nerves were frayed.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
So where do you carry the fuel like nitromethane.
Bucky1320 wrote:
I consider the basement the man's world. Utilities. The things that without, the world ceases to function properly. Food is important too, and that's why we give women the kitchen.:) Kidding....a little. Don't let her encroach into your space. It's bad enough you need to store chairs for her to sit on down there. Grow a set man! LOL. OK. Now kidding for real!
We do divide labor, and to some extent space as well. I make sure the beast will arrive at it's destination, and she lets us get there fed and comfortable and probably smelling decent. I have all utilities, and she the creature comforts. Oh, and the boy and I get the race cars ready too.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave the MH mostly packed all the time. Bring in some stuff depending on how long we will be getting to the location. The washer dryer means no over packing too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Am I supposed to be involved in what and how excessive the amount of stuff she overloads the rig with.

When the DGKs traveled with us they took over most of my space at the direction of SWMBO.

I did get to keep 1/2 my shirt closet.

She needs to take a cruise on a diesel submarine in order to leard how to pack.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
This is one of the reasons I don't want a fifth wheel. You can pack a lot of women's shoes in the bed of a pickup truck. Any of the wives here can vouch for how important it is to have a large supply of women's shoes.

It's me, my husband, two teen daughters. I took all the shoes out of the rv once and laid them out. My husband had more pairs than the three females combined.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
How could you only get 2 mpg?? that is horrible..

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter to me. I want comfort and convenience when we travel I had enough "Camping" while in the Army.