cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a wife who overpacks motorhome?

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My late wife believed in traveling light including her closet. My wife now jams every drawer and closet full. Mixers, electric oven, groceries (we don't even eat in that much). Now it's emergency rations in the basement. Anyone else have this problem. :h
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
61 REPLIES 61

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep! I bet with just a bit of a nudge she would take the kitchen sink.
We intend to head early but it will be late afternoon before we get everything loaded and toad hitched up.
Shes very detailed oriented and every thing will be done in order and no fork left in the sink before we are out the door.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
The basement is or was almost empty. My wife is on this survival kick and I loaded 75-100 lbs. of survival food in the basement yesterday. (she may have a point). Whether it's at home or on a trip the cabinets and refrigerator is usually well packed. I traveled with two other wives (deceased) and both of them, if we get hungry there's a store near by. I'm afraid my thing is clothes, I've got to take at least 3 pair of boots, three Stetsons and closet full of pants, shirts and jackets.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Fun thread...
I hit the new posts, sent here. haven't seen a bit of this before.../
For the record, my DW typically declares at 1 am (before a scheduled 6 am departure) that all is ready, and I may now load the motorhome....

Note this includes washing every single piece of laundry in the house, including the bedding on all bads, which will sit idle until our return, as well as every scrap on clothing currently on our bodies.

I kid you not. she is polish. I pack the motorhome naked, so she doesn't have to suddenly do another load of laundry before we leave....

( Sorry for any unwelcome imaginary visuals, don't mean to give anyone nightmares.)

Thanks for the visual, I'm never going to get to sleep tonight.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
The first few trips we took in the Bounder, the DH packed china and silverware. Yeah, the stuff made out of CHINA, and SILVER. Plus about 15 pots and pans. The symphony of sound all that metal made every time we went over a bump finally brought the light to her that paper plates and plastic forks were the way to go. She still packs more clothing and 'soft goods' than we need, but I'm working on that. I can wear the same pair of jean shorts for several days - but she needs three outfits a day.

I grew up in a family of 6 camping out of a VW Bus, so I learned early on to leave 95% of that******at home.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
My DW believes every surface must have something on it to the extent there is no empty space. Every cabinet must be packed full which of course keeps things from sliding. We could be a supply depot for the Red Cross to include food, water, clothes, medications, and blankets. This includes both the house and the mh.

Does your wife have a twin ? :W
Triplets?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am the wife and believe it or not, both of us pack pretty well. Neither of us need anything special in the way of clothes so the closet always has plenty of space. I pack the food based on the number of days we will be gone. I have a Word document with the food needed for the trip (may be too organized, but we like it that way). For longer trips, we just purchase as we go. We bring the basic tools we may need. I guess I am saying that I do not see any reason to change what we are doing since it is working for us.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
bigred, or stuck in a traffic jam on I95 or some other interstate. Dinner, snacks, a snooze perhaps.

:B

I was stopped at a train one time, in farm country. I eventually climbed in the back and read a book. (After an hour I turned around and found another route.)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Find a place to pull off the road and rest after several hours of harrowing travel through snow and ice. You'll be glad of the food she has placed in the cabinets.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
No.

I explained the weight situation to her early one.

I also got her see the benefit in getting major supplies from the
local stores. She like the new shopping idea. The only problem then
is getting her to hold back in a new store.

All part of the Journey.

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
My wife doesn't pack anything. Its all up to me. Last weekend when my daughter called her on it, my wife said that she does in fact pack. She said that she packed her cloths herself. I corrected her by stating that she did not actually pack them, she put them on the kitchen table and left them there for me to pack.

Then all weekend she complained that she did not have the right clothes with her. She had packed for cold weather and it was warm. I love my wife but packing and planning are not her thing.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I RV'd a number of times with a female co-worker. First time her philosophy was if there's still room in the RV I haven't packed enough. Most of it was food. Over the years she'd pack less and less. We took a trip with her Mom once and I discovered where the pack-gene came from. Got back from that trip and neither of them wanted to take any of the food home that was left over, so I ate like a King for weeks.

The last trip we took in the RV was halfway across the country. She packed one small suitcase but did insist that we take bicycles that we never used. She even asked if I'd noticed that she'd learned how to pack, so I guess she was learning. (I did notice since I no longer had to crawl thru an open window to get to the driver's seat.) Too bad that learning didn't extend into other areas or we'd still be RVing together. LOL

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Rainier wrote:
You all better hope your wives aren't reading this forum:)

Rolling on the floor laughing my F****ing A** off!!!

Thank goodness, mine does not.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Fun thread...
I hit the new posts, sent here. haven't seen a bit of this before.../
For the record, my DW typically declares at 1 am (before a scheduled 6 am departure) that all is ready, and I may now load the motorhome....

Note this includes washing every single piece of laundry in the house, including the bedding on all bads, which will sit idle until our return, as well as every scrap on clothing currently on our bodies.

I kid you not. she is polish. I pack the motorhome naked, so she doesn't have to suddenly do another load of laundry before we leave....

( Sorry for any unwelcome imaginary visuals, don't mean to give anyone nightmares.)
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Motherfrost
Explorer
Explorer
I am the wife, husband stays at home, doesn't like the motorhome. After the first trip with grandkids, I learned a valuable lesson and bought clothes for them, stored in a bin with their names. Cut 50% of the clutter. A cube by the door for shoes and I have one storage bin dedicated to tools believe or not! And I still have empty space if needed.