cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, should have went ahead and bought a 40ft DP.

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
Bought too small but it was great for the time we had it. The worst mistake was buying new never again took a bath on it when we moved up.

Suescasa_Mycasa
Explorer
Explorer
First motorhome was a DEATH TRAP
Funny thing it was the only one I bought from a dealer
Every MH since then was a private owner and no problems
2003 Travel Supreme Select 45'
ISM 500 Oh Myyyyyyyyyy
2003 Yamaha V Star 1100
Joeylift motorcycle lift
rollin rollin rollin... keep those doggies rollin

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I knew I had bought the wrong type motorhome. The mistake for me was buying a gasoline motor home instead of a diesel right away. I was trading in my new gasoline motor home six months later. You lose some money doing that.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

HHg_in_Austin
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely, we knew we had bought the wrong RV on the first overnight outing.......we kept it a couple of years and traded up.....

Hhg
HHg in Austin
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40-QBH
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Toad

bowalker
Explorer
Explorer
Practice makes learning. If you are a safe 4 wheel driver, you can learn to be safe driving the big thing. Drop the fear and and use those exterior rear-view mirrors.
Get those wrong things right and go for happy RV travels.

struluv
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our first MH, 36' 2 slides, Allegro. Had one growing up as a kid, talked my husband into buying one, kids gone, hate flying hate airport security more! Want my dogs to be with us to... Want this to be a good experience as newly retired people. Went to pick up our coach in Palm Desert and had cab air conditioning problem and awning "sticking", they had to take it to Colton to fix, supposedly delivering tomorrow.....already having second thoughts, to late though. Now having too much time thinking about how hard this might be to drive!
Help.......need some positive stories on first timing!

baileyjmad
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first Class A in March 2012, a so-called "entry level" 31'. We are in our 60's. I second guessed myself for several months (5th wheel, better quality, etc.). We have completed one month of a planned 3 month cross-country trip and the second guessing has ceased. We are very happy with our rig. It is exactly what we need at this point. Of course our "desirements" may change in the future.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest mistake was paying cash. Should have kept the money invested and taken income tax deduction.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish you wouldn't ask that. The nightmares just about quit. 🙂

wa_desert_rat
Explorer
Explorer
Just one sentence and I win: Winnebago Le Sharo Diesel.

Craig

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased our first MH on Oct 2011. It is a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34'.
The quality is a big step down from the Holiday Rambler TT I had in the past but it has been a good unit with few problems. I am looking at it as a first step in my search for the perfect MH for the two of us. This unit really fits the bill and will serve us well for the next few years as I save up for my next and last MH. I was able to pay cash and that is a big plus.

jaswen69
Explorer
Explorer
I consider our M/H my biggest mistake to date, We camped for years and enjoyed it, Our kids grew up but they are not out of our pockets yet , So we bought what we could afford a 98 Pace Arrow , We love the M/H but never use it, We find ourselves using it just because we are paying for it. I think our camping days are over , We just don't enjoy it without the kids. A lot of Money for something we hardly use, Sure wish I would have kept my mint cond simple travel trailer or sold out all together....

vscoggin
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just went from a hybrid to a Holiday Rambler Vacationer ES- 1996. We only gave 7000.00 for it, and it is great-on our first outing now. Its in great shape, but we are going to have to spend some money on it--thats OK--to us as 1st timers--its better for us than spending tens of thousands or more--but those new ones sure are nice!--Vince

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
It pleases me to no end to be able to say that our first coach has turned out to be everything we wanted and everything we hoped it would be. We couldn't be happier with anything else. I will give credit to reading this board and others, as well as having the patience to wait for the right one to come along. It was a five year journey, but worth every minute of it.