cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be glad it is gone. The Dometic rooftop AC's with electronic thermostat controlling both heat and AC were awful. Went back to ceiling controlled Coleman units and standard analog t-stat for the furnace which is a virtually bulletproof installation.

MtnBikeMarty wrote:
DOMETIC'S PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

Just paid the tab at State Trailer RV & Outdoor Supply for a new 13.5 BTU Dometic Brisk II a/c unit, t-stat, and control box....about $1100 for my 2011 Majestic 27G (former Cruise America). The a/c died last month in the AZ heat. I was getting a E6 code of the t-stat, researched that up and it was humidity sensor fail code. Took it into State Trailer whom I like and trust, having bought lots of accessories there and gotten a lot of "newbie" info from the guys there. Any way, they contacted Dometic and offered some tricks to try and reset the error code, which did but then an E4 code kept coming up (open circuit, out of range outdoor sensor), Dometic said the t-stat was bad. State Trailer (ST) said they couldn't just replace t-stat with a new t-stat cause the wiring and my old a/c unit were not compatible (Dometic's Planned Obsolescence??? by not making new equipment downwardly compatible with older equipment), therefore the unit, the control box, wiring, and t-stat had to be replaced. FYI, the original wiring was telephone wire...???

ST and I tried for a couple days to find a used t-stat of my same model but to no avail. I did forget to check with the service dept at CA...duh.... I was in a hurry cause I needed my rig for a mountain bike race this weekend, so I had ST replace it all... can't not have a/c in AZ. ST did a great job putting the new equipment in and it cools (and heats great cause it's a heating control t-stat too) great, and I'm off for a long weekend mountain biking.

I was just wondering if anybody else experienced this "planned obsolescence" of manufacturers before, and if this is common in the RV industry?

MtnBikeMarty

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
MtnBikeMarty wrote:

Just paid the tab at State Trailer RV & Outdoor Supply for a new 13.5 BTU Dometic Brisk II a/c unit, t-stat, and control box....about $1100 for my 2011 Majestic 27G (former Cruise America). The a/c died last month in the AZ heat. I was getting a E6 code of the t-stat, researched that up and it was humidity sensor fail code. Took it into State Trailer whom I like and trust, having bought lots of accessories there and gotten a lot of "newbie" info from the guys there. Any way, they contacted Dometic and offered some tricks to try and reset the error code, which did but then an E4 code kept coming up (open circuit, out of range outdoor sensor), Dometic said the t-stat was bad. State Trailer (ST) said they couldn't just replace t-stat with a new t-stat cause the wiring and my old a/c unit were not compatible (Dometic's Planned Obsolescence??? by not making new equipment downwardly compatible with older equipment), therefore the unit, the control box, wiring, and t-stat had to be replaced. FYI, the original wiring was telephone wire...???

ST and I tried for a couple days to find a used t-stat of my same model but to no avail. I did forget to check with the service dept at CA...duh.... I was in a hurry cause I needed my rig for a mountain bike race this weekend, so I had ST replace it all... can't not have a/c in AZ. ST did a great job putting the new equipment in and it cools (and heats great cause it's a heating control t-stat too) great, and I'm off for a long weekend mountain biking.

I was just wondering if anybody else experienced this "planned obsolescence" of manufacturers before, and if this is common in the RV industry?

MtnBikeMarty

Not just in the RV industry in everything!!!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II

MtnBikeMarty

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
disc01971 wrote:
Seattle to Utah, to Flagstaff, to Orlando Fl. Back to Dallas, up to Denver, then back to Seattle. About 8k miles and didnt have any issues in the 5 weeks. Go camping 2 weeks later and the fridge leaked ammonia when turning it on, 1st out of pocket replacement item. Having to take door frame off to take out fridge is just %$###. Good time to re caulk entire rv though after redoing door.

Easier to take it out the dinette window.

disc01971
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle to Utah, to Flagstaff, to Orlando Fl. Back to Dallas, up to Denver, then back to Seattle. About 8k miles and didnt have any issues in the 5 weeks. Go camping 2 weeks later and the fridge leaked ammonia when turning it on, 1st out of pocket replacement item. Having to take door frame off to take out fridge is just %$###. Good time to re caulk entire rv though after redoing door.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
510dogmom wrote:
Anything new coming up for folks? How were your summer travels?

The summer was great for camping,especially when you wake up to a view like this,I just returned fromThornhill Broome

In 2 weeks it is back to New Port for the Birthday Run.

Then a quick outing next month just for the fun of it and then the 6th annual week
long trip for Thanksgiving, I sure get all the use I can out of my problem free Former Rental :B

Then the Winter camping starts.
Buying A Rental Class C

zachcycles
Explorer
Explorer
510dogmom wrote:

Well... just more of the same! Starting to think I'm getting the last laugh on my 3 strike former rental. I did the absolute unthinkable: 1st strike: I bought a 2 year old former rental. 2nd strike: it was a Camping World former rental. 3rd strike: I bought it from... wait for it... Camping World! Aside from making it my 'fort' zero problems after my 3rd summer of travel, and here in NorCal summer travel is all year travel.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

510dogmom
Explorer
Explorer

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to take the suggestions and see what I learn.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
socal77 wrote:
Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

Hi Guys, I mentioned this issue a couple months ago but have put off handling it until now. My 2009 28A from CA has developed a serious lean to the driver's side. I've eliminated the more obvious potential causes - I emptied all the tanks to make sure it's not some type of extra weight on that side.

Took it in to get the tires rotated and the guys who did it said it definitely was a leaf spring issue. I've looked under there myself but nothing obvious from my untrained eye. So now I need to get it fixed. The RV shop where we live here in Redlands, CA is crazy expensive so that's not an option. I know someone previously in this forum mentioned a place down in Orange County that specializes in RV springs and is reasonable priced. The RV has 164,000 miles on it so I think the springs have just gotten tired. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

If you haven't already...look where the sway bar mounts up the bushing with a rubber like thing. My pick up (not RV) broke and made me lean to one side a bit.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

510dogmom
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Sturken RV in San Jose 408-295-7195. I had very good luck with them with my previous and unusual RV (VW Eurovan and Winnie, class C). I can tell you stories about that Frankenstein of an RV!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had work done at American RV in Orange County their prices are good as is their work,you might give them a call and see what they say,they do all kinds of work or they may steer you in the right direction if they don't do springs.

I have found that they are very helpful and friendly.
Buying A Rental Class C

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
socal77 wrote:
Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

Hi Guys, I mentioned this issue a couple months ago but have put off handling it until now. My 2009 28A from CA has developed a serious lean to the driver's side. I've eliminated the more obvious potential causes - I emptied all the tanks to make sure it's not some type of extra weight on that side.

Took it in to get the tires rotated and the guys who did it said it definitely was a leaf spring issue. I've looked under there myself but nothing obvious from my untrained eye. So now I need to get it fixed. The RV shop where we live here in Redlands, CA is crazy expensive so that's not an option. I know someone previously in this forum mentioned a place down in Orange County that specializes in RV springs and is reasonable priced. The RV has 164,000 miles on it so I think the springs have just gotten tired. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Take the vehicle out on a quiet road, get it up to speed and turn it hard to the left, not enough to tip it over, obviously, but enough to make it lean to the right. Nine times out of 10, that will cure your lean. If not, then you are in new spring territory, but I would be surprised if you needed new springs.

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photo of RV leaning

See the photo above

bghouse
Explorer
Explorer
510dogmom wrote:
Regarding back up cameras... I went with a wired camera on my back bumper. I definitely wanted a wired camera and was willing to have in on my bumper to allow the wires to run under the chassis. I really like it because I can don't have the lights on the back of the rig blinding the camera and I get a great idea of how close something is behind me. JMHO and YMMV.

Interesting, thanks for mentioned the lights issue - didn't think about that.