cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I drop someone off at Phoenix Sky Harbor in my MH

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 13' 4" tall, 45 feet long and tow a Ford F150. I need to drop off my wife at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport at terminal 2 in a couple of weeks. It would be much easier if I could drop her off using the Motorhome and continue on my way afterwards.

I've seen passenger busses and shuttles at PHX the couple of times I've flown out of there but I am not very familiar with the roadways. When I looked at my low bridge app, it said there is a 9 foot bridge at terminal 3 but I'm thinking that I don't need to go by terminal 3 anyway.

Does anyone know if my goal is possible?

On edit 01/21/14. I successfully, dropped off the family at terminal 2 this morning with only one minor problem. I decided to drop them off in between the shuttle busses where drop-offs are allowed rather than risk the inner lanes closest to the terminal. Although it worked flawlessly, a bus blocked me off right as I was leaving because he was trying to angle in front of me to park there. I waited about 90 seconds and he moved on. There was no danger of hitting anything overhead and all lanes were plenty wide enough for my 65 foot length. All merges were easily executed and the reduced speed at the airport helped as well.

As someone mentioned in the comments, there are several signs warning that the maximum height for vehicles is 14 feet tall.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
29 REPLIES 29

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Holstein13, glad to hear that you made it safe and sound and it worked out well. I'm not sure that I would have attempted that myself as I hate the unknown.

I had to pick up some friends in Ontario, CA, at the airport recently. The airport had major construction going on that would have caused a major problem for buses our size trying to maneuver through. I took the Honda so it was easy.

It turned out to be a very windy evening and some of the cones and signs had blown over which would have made it impossible in a coach without getting out to move the debris.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I successfully, dropped off the family this morning at terminal 2 with only one minor problem. I decided to drop them off in between the shuttle busses where drop-offs are allowed rather than risk the inner lanes closest to the terminal. Although it worked flawlessly, a bus blocked me off right as I was leaving because he was trying to angle in front of me to park there. I waited about 90 seconds and he moved on. There was no danger of hitting anything overhead and all lanes were plenty wide enough for my 65 foot length. All merges were easily executed and the reduced speed at the airport helped as well.

As someone mentioned in the comments, there are several signs warning that the maximum height for vehicles is 14 feet tall.

So yes, you can drop off people at Sky Harbor terminal 2 with no problems.
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for posting. Based upon your responses and this note I received from PHX, I am going for it. I'll let you know how everything worked out afterwards.

"Thank you for contacting Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. If you are just dropping off your passengers and not parking, you will be fine. As far as any height restrictions outside of the airport, i.e., on the freeway/s, etc., you would need to contact the Department of Transportation for height clearances on the roads. Thank you.

Customer Service Team
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport"
`

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a career working out of PHX Sky Harbor and would absolutely take any size RV and toad there, I do not see any issues. It is a big airport with big roads and good clearance. Depending on the time of day there can be lots of traffic but Terminal 2 is easy with lots of room.

Like most large airports the hardest part is figuring out which lane to be in. There are lots of signs and merging traffic so go slow & don't be intimidated by the kids zipping around in their Prius's while they are texting and checking their makeup.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried then consider parking off site and use the toad.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Don_Parrish
Explorer
Explorer
Search Phoenix Sky Harbor Skytrain. You will find there is an automated train system from the area of Washington Avenue and 44th Street which should give you plenty of room to drop off your wife for a safe and quick ride to any of the terminals. We live in Phoenix and while we have no need to go to the Washington/44th terminal, we do use the Skytrain from the parking areas. Did so just last week and the service works very well. I'm sure you can find a phone number to verify an unloading area for drop off.

Were it not for what I consider poor signage at Sky Harbor, I would not hesitate to drive a coach and toad to Terminal 2.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
"trains go to terminals now" NOT to terminal 2!

You will be OK but stay in/use the buss lanes and curb. Jut do not linger there!

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
You probably can execute your action, but why take the chance that you cannot?

The key thing is to get her there in time to haul baggage, clear security and board her flight.

Park the big rig and use the toad.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Call a taxi.
jwmII

Find a close parking lot and disconnect the P/U and take it in... Not worth all the trouble IF you run into any issues...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to Sky Harbor many many times, but even if there is enough clearance, I wouldn't do it. You will have trouble stopping your long rig to drop off your passenger. And as some have mentioned, some turns may be a bit sharp for your rig.

If me, I find some Walmart or shopping center lot, park, and take her to the airport in the toad.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in n' out of PHX (Sky Harbor) every few weeks. Don't know what this train thing is, but they don't go to the rental facility. Thats served by busses that drive through the airport literally every few seconds.

I wouldn't be worried about height at all, but pulling that monster over, or even finding a curb long enough is another issue. There is no possible way I would take your rig to the inside drop-off lanes, leaving you to compete with all the commercial traffic, and those guys are worse than taxi drivers.

IMO- Park offsite and take the toad.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Toumai
Explorer
Explorer
https://skyharbor.com/pdf/PHXAirportMap.pdf

That shows oversized parking is by Terminal 4 and east of Terminal 4 in the uncovered lot. Not exactly close to Terminal 2 if you were hoping to park the RV to enter the airport. But a dropoff at the doors of terminal 2 looks pretty straightforward... Well, aside from the regular chaos of traffic flow heading into an airport, of course.
2009 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit 270BH
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3L V8

Toumai
Explorer
Explorer

Using Google maps street view approaching the airport, it appears so long as you're under 14' tall, you'd be ok height wise.

I followed the road in by Google maps street view to terminal 2, no foreseeable issues all the way to drop off, there was coaches parked alongside the entry doors. If you want to park however and enter, leaving the RV, further reading to where overweight vehicles would park is required.
2009 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit 270BH
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3L V8