cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cars to tow

spep3
Explorer
Explorer
I have 32ft. motorhome and would like to know what are the best towable cars for flat towing? thanks
19 REPLIES 19

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32' F53 V10. We started out towing '95 Jeep Cherokee and now tow a '98 Subaru Outback (AWD) with 5 spd. The tow rating is 5,000#. Tows like a dream with no problems.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
We have a h h r. 3100 on the title, works for us ---happy-camping

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
"There are many options you just need to pick one that fits your needs or hobbies."

Good answer! What kind of vehicle do you want to drive around when you unhook and go exploring. How many people are you needing to transport, are you going off road, do you need a truck to cary all the antiques you are going to buy, these are the questions you need to consider. We like a sporty car to zip around in so tow an MR2 Toyota but know this won't work for all. Bob
bob b

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
There are many options you just need to pick one that fits your needs or hobbies. I use a 99' Jeep TJ because most of our adventures are not on paved roads and a winch would just look strange on a saturn:R

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Honda FIT with auto trans 4 down behind our 26 ft Class C. It weighs 2493 lbs. Very easy to to tow.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

The newer JK's are heavier, and JK 4 doors weigh as much as a full sized pickup!

My 2008 JKUR auto is over 5k lbs with lots of add-on's (aftermarket bumpers, winch, sportcage, 35" tires, long-arm suspension, added armor\skids, upgraded driveshafts and so on). Even with all of these extra's, it's not close to the weight of my F-150.
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
For us it is a an 04 Mustang convertible, 6V-6 and 5 speed manual

spep3 wrote:
I have 32ft. motorhome and would like to know what are the best towable cars for flat towing? thanks
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a TJ wrangler. Small but light, and will go anywhere, even some places where walking is not an option.
The newer JK's are heavier, and JK 4 doors weigh as much as a full sized pickup!
Wife has a '010 liberty, it is towable. I just got an 03 Dakota AWD, it is towable as well.

The motorhome magazine guide is great, but is it current year vehicles only? How do you get back issues?

when in doubt, check the owners manual, though in some cases lately even those have been less than accurate. I believe the Chevy Cruze and many Escapes were originally rated to tow, but no longer are.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing the HHR now for almost 6 years (20K miles), no problems. Did just have to put new struts, lower plates, hub bearings and sway bar ends on it, but at 84K+ miles, figure I got my monies worth out of those front suspension parts I had to replace, plus my GM extended warranty covered most of the parts/labor.

I looked at the Honda CR-V and Jeep Liberty back when trying to decide what to tow. Went with the HHR mostly based on price..it was $1000s less than the Honda or Jeep.

With the HHR now out of production, will try to hang on to it until we upgrade to a DP, and then will have more towing weight available. Right now I'm at 5K lbs, and the HHR weights in at just under 3200 lbs...
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32' Class A gas and we flat tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32 foot Itasca gas class A and tow a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X 4 down. Agree with all the other posts about being aware of weight limits on the MH, and not packing the toad full of heavy items.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
Most anything with a clutch.

We just got a '12 Chevy Cruze set up to tow... it tows easy (<3k lbs), a nice driver car, and gets great gas mileage (35 mpg).

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
An HHR makes a good 4 down tow with lots of room to tour and haul things in the rear area. About 3200 lbs. There is also a dingy towing forum on this site where ther will be more information. Good luck
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
You first need to find out how much your mh can tow. At 32 ft, I assume you are a gas engined mh and be aware that many can only tow 3500 lbs. That really limits what you can tow.

Ron

an emphatic X2 on this! before you buy anything you need to know just how much weight your MH can safely tow without exceeding the various weight ratings...gross combination weight rating (GCWR), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and each axle's gross axle weight rating (GAWR). you also need to know the curb weight of the vehicle you're planning to buy and whether that curb weight includes a full tank of gas (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't).

the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (food, fuel, water, LP, clothing, supplies, pets, people and misc. stuff); OR

- the weight rating of the MH hitch (Class II 3500-lbs, Class III 5000-lbs, Class IV 10,000-lbs); OR

- the weight rating of your towbar

load up the MH as you would for travel and then get individual axle weights at a certified scale. compare those axle weights to the published gross axle weight rating (GAWR) for that motorhome. the actual axle weight must be less than/equal to the rating for that axle. add the two axle weights to arrive at the total rolling weight and then apply the three conditions above. assume nothing.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle