cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat Oil Change Interval

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been looking at different sources trying to determine the correct time to change oil on my Cat C-12 and so far have been unable to find anything that refers to the time between changes...it all relates to miles and fuel consumption. This seem to be in conflict with the "opinions" that state a yearly change is necessary.

For example, in an application less than 80,000 lbs, more than 7 mpg, and less than 20% idling time, the oil change interval is 25,000 miles. As MPG go down so does the interval. Oil analysis at 10,000 mile intervals with some discourse on what to look for in the results.

Cat Maintenance Schedule

So, unless there are some other Cat documents referring to a time between changes, what are most folks doing.

I sorta figure Cummins has a similar spec.

Clarity would be appreciated.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
12 REPLIES 12

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was told to change the oil once a year so that is what I am doing. I use Speedco. They are great! The prices are much less than anywhere else I checked and they let me watch and ask lots of questions. I also had them change the oil and filter on the generator.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, looking at table 21, page 193, 15,000 miles is the severe duty OCI for your engine - provided you do not get less than 6 mpg, do not weight more that 80,000 lbs, have a minimum oil sump capacity of 36 quarts, and do not idle more than 40% of the time. Thats pretty simple, don't complicate it!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

cjlatour
Explorer
Explorer
CAT recommendation is @ specified mileage or a least annually (no matter the mileage).
Journey DL 36' 330HP CAT C-7, 6 spd Allison 3000
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/ Chevy Spark toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, might just give Cat a call and check with them. Having the oil changed yearly certainly is not a budget buster but I also dislike throwing $$$ down a drain if it's not necessary.

I guess the yearly thing just doesn't make sense if a oil analysis shows no abnormalities. Anything like moisture, dirt, soot, and etc would certainly be indicated. Good topic for Cat.
Dick

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW. Had Cat 3126 for 12 years. Got similarly confused about change intervals early in the game and decided that with my usage (<5000 mi/yr) I would change the oil annually and that is what I did. Seemed like a decent compromise amongst all the different advice and nothing bad happened.
tfw

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
jferre9570 wrote:
Call Caterpillar directly, with your engine serial number, and they will tell you "straight from the horse's mouth" as it were.
1-800-447-4986 or e-mail Call_Cat@cat.com (from Cat website)

X-2!!! and the folks at the Cat RV Club should be more than willing to help you out to! And make sure you calibrate your dip stick the first time you change the oil!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
Call Caterpillar directly, with your engine serial number, and they will tell you "straight from the horse's mouth" as it were.
1-800-447-4986 or e-mail Call_Cat@cat.com (from Cat website)
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply's...is there any documentation from Cat specifically for RV's. Seem odd that there is such a difference.

I do like supporting documentation whenever possible to separate opinion from product engineering.
Dick

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Post your question to the Diesel RV Club in my signature
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
X2. Cat says one year or 10K miles, whichever comes first.I went two years,but only 8K miles and got an engine light because my oil was so dirty it was causing the IAPVC to stick and so I wasn't getting correct pressure to the HEUI (?sp).($190 parts and labor) The service manager at the CAT dealer in Fife suggested that I go to a 5K interval. He also suggested that I do an oil and filter change only at somewhere around 3k and then start the 5K after that. I am getting more blowby than I'd like and that started about the same time as the engine light on our last trip to Vegas and S.D. area.
He also suggested that I have the valves adjusted,even though they only have 60K miles since the first one at 47K.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
CAT recommendation for Rv is 1 year. Clean oil is a critical component to the engine. The cost is minimal compared to a filed HEIU, Injector or other component failure.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I would do. Go to

Blackstone Labs

and get the free sample kit.
Bill and Joey the dog