cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Built for Two?

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for smallish class A models that we should consider. It's just my wife and I, and we'd use it for long weekends and week or so vacations at first, and then in about two years or so we'd like to snowbird. I had a 30' C from 2004-2009, my wife is a newbie. We don't want a big rig, were considering B or B+ but in looking at a few models we'd get much more for less money in a smaller A, especially since we want to spend extended time in it in the near future. We will probably be looking at well-loved late model used gas models, but we will be at Hershey so that's why I'm looking at suggestions for what models you nice folks would recommend, to make the use of our one day there and do research in advance.
35 REPLIES 35

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the original poster. My wife and I spent a lot of time at Hershey yesterday, an exhausting amount in fact (my fitness app registered almost 6 miles of walking). It was an amazing thing for us, since we went through many B, B+, and smaller A models that are within our criteria.

We originally thought "B" because it would allow her to help drive, we wouldn't need the toad, we could park it in regular parking spots (including at our apartment complex, hence not needing to pay for storage).

As we looked at the many B models and manufacturers, we realized most would be too small, even though we aren't big people and do well in small spaces. We really liked the Leisure Travel corner bed model though, that would work for us, with the fixed bed. Price for that one was almost $132,000.

Then we stopped by Newmar and looked at the 30' Baystar. Right away she said "Wow, all this for even less than that little one??" We went through a number of small A models and really liked the Baystar, Thor ACE 27.2, Axis 25.2, Winnebago Vista 26HE and LX27N, and Forest River FR3 29DS and 30DS (especially the latter).

Can anyone comment on those models at all from experience? I'm worried that I believe that I read at one point that Thor isn't quite up to the quality and reliability of Newmar, FR, and Winnebago. The reps did take some time politely trashing the competition, for example the Winnie guy said theirs was the only one with the steel cage and roll bars or something, everyone else was fiberglass and plywood, which succeeded in scaring my wife.

We will probably continue our search by looking for lightly used models of those, and going to the dealerships nearby to look at each in more detail now that we've shortened our list.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing that I have noticed is 30 ft or less have limited storage and small fresh water tanks. I am in the same situation you are as how I plan to use the MH. I like the full basement storage with at least two pass thru's to store bikes, ladder, table etc., and at least 80 gals of fresh water. I have not found this in any 30ft or smaller MH. 32 ft seems to be the minimum to have these req's met. I just test drove a 2014 32ft Daybreak that had 3 pass thru's, and 100 gal FW tank. Some older model Daybreaks have the big rear pass thru's under the bed like you see on the ACE, FR3, Mirada MH's in addition to the full basement storage that these other do no have. I am still searching for other models that meet these regs.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We also would never opt for a bath and a half but consider our 36' 2 slides as a minimum size we would want for full-timing for 2 people. It's like a small apartment and we are quite comfortable. Bigger would be great too.
I also compare ours (33 foot, 2 slides, 2 people, FT) to a cozy apartment, but with more windows and better views than most apartments. No desire for a half bath.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also would never opt for a bath and a half but consider our 36' 2 slides as a minimum size we would want for full-timing for 2 people. It's like a small apartment and we are quite comfortable. Bigger would be great too.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
In our toyhauler, I liked the 1/2 bath in the back. BUT, we usually had a couple kids with us. This allowed them to use that bathroom, without disturbing us by the main bath.

But, with the kids gone, I sure see no need for 1 1/2 baths for just the two of us!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
HighwayJunky wrote:
Don't understand need for a bath and a half. Just how many comforts do we need? I can only use one bath at a time and if it is occupied then I wait my turn. We aren't at a ball game or concert waiting in line for hours during halftime! The line in an RV suited for two people is never longer than ONE...https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/scratchead.gifGenerally, empty...

I can't understand this concept either. We full-timed 16 years with only one bath and it was never a problem. Why give up living space for another bath?

OP: I really don't think you'd be happy with a Class B if you're planning to snowbird for months at a time, especially places that it would rain. 🙂 We talked to one that said one of them generally leaves the RV when the other is moving around doing things like showering, cooking, cleaning. There's no room for both of them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand need for a bath and a half. Just how many comforts do we need? I can only use one bath at a time and if it is occupied then I wait my turn. We aren't at a ball game or concert waiting in line for hours during halftime! The line in an RV suited for two people is never longer than ONE...https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/scratchead.gifGenerally, empty...

Plus, with more than one bath, you need added sewer hoses, time cleaning, and not to mention the possibility of 2X the problems...https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/smile.gif

M2CW (my two cents worth)
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
After FTing for more than a year I would deeply suggest that you look at the models that have the bath & a half option. Had we known about them when we were shopping that's what we would have bought. An example is the Winnebago Adventurer 37F.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago makes a coach called the Brave and it's in the mid 20 foot range in length.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Our 29' Triple E class A "Seats six, feeds four, and sleeps two". And that's the way we like it!
A 29-30' rig is the smallest that I've seen with a queen walk-around bed, which is a prerequisite for us.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
Sure a 35 footer would work, but extra space is nice too. I sure wouldn't get anything smaller unless it was just for shorter trips. But that's just me, you may be different.

And that's exactly the point I tried to make in my previous post. Space requirements aren't something you ask for opinions on - it's a personal decision. Too much space is something I seriously doubt ever happens.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diver4242 wrote:
Looking for suggestions for smallish class A models that we should consider. It's just my wife and I, and we'd use it for long weekends and week or so vacations at first, and then in about two years or so we'd like to snowbird. I had a 30' C from 2004-2009, my wife is a newbie. We don't want a big rig, were considering B or B+ but in looking at a few models we'd get much more for less money in a smaller A, especially since we want to spend extended time in it in the near future. We will probably be looking at well-loved late model used gas models, but we will be at Hershey so that's why I'm looking at suggestions for what models you nice folks would recommend, to make the use of our one day there and do research in advance.

I have a 35 foot DP with three slides. Although it's comfortable for a week or two, if I was looking to snowbird or stay someplace months at a time, I'd want something bigger. Sure a 35 footer would work, but extra space is nice too. I sure wouldn't get anything smaller unless it was just for shorter trips. But that's just me, you may be different.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good comments and points made here. When we were first getting started over 20 years ago, we rented a 27' Tioga Class C, just to find out how we liked RVing.

We liked it a lot, but our experience with the Tioga showed us that we needed more room than the Tioga offered. A Class B might suit some people just fine, but others simply need more personal space. No one can know what will make you comfortable - it's a personal decision only you can make.

We ended up buying a used 37' Pace Arrow Class A gasser, and later traded it in for a new 40' diesel pusher. With just 2 of us and our small furball (dog), our current RV is 43' long, but I still consider it a "Class A Built for Two". It's a personal thing.

Which brings up my second point. Try to buy an RV you will enjoy for a while. It can be costly if you decide to trade up to get features you really wanted to begin with - RVs depreciate quickly.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
FHU - Full hookup site. i.e. you have water, sewer, and electric at your site
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit