cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Insurance

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Who has the best (doesn't fight every thing) I'm looking at a class A and have been told by my current carrier that they would not cover it.
I have heard from friends that if you buy something over 10 years old you get jacked up on rates. Wondering if the higher rate, offsets the deeper price discount of the unit?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
15 REPLIES 15

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
For those mentioning Disappearing Deductible with Progressive, you can check with them, but I'll bet that's only on Collision. I found out the hard way that a Comprehensive claim with them has no disappearing deductible. I was with Progressive for many years and had a Diamond Level "membership." Recently switched to Farmers Insurance (who also owns Foremost) and Farmers cleaned Progressive's clock with better insurance coverage at significantly lower cost. Same on my three vehicles, the ATV, and the boat. I didn't have Progressive on my home because they were never competitive, but Farmers won that from my incumbent as well.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are using Progressive for our 2016 Winnebago Journey. Cost is $2765 per year for $1,000 deductible with glass. Disappearing deductible. No claims except for a couple of windshield dingers. Guess we are getting off cheap compared to the rest of you.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping around, I only deal with companies that can handle it all.
We're now with Allstate and think we're paying around $1K/year on $75K for full coverage. They accepted this and if I have it right, we're covered for it's full value, in case of a total loss, no matter. So far the value hasn't decreased since we went with them and not like we're still paying for years old value, like so many are, by staying with the same company too long, without a re-valuation.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I had National Interstate Ins. who quit handling MH insurance in December 2017.
I contacted Geico RV, Overland Ins. Safeco, Progressive, Good Sam and Foremost. I found the best price and coverage with Foremost that was recommended by my regular Insurance Agent and I went with them. If you have a regular agent you might check if they handle MH insurance or contact Foremost direct.
https://www.foremost.com/products/motor-home/
The next best but slightly higher was Overland. It all depends on your coverage,year of MH,and what coverage you want.
Meghan Kozacek, CISR
Overland Insurance Services
800-677-4027
Fax 480-994-0448
www.rvins.com
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I use FMCA supported insurance (Nationwide). Have only had windshield claims and they were prompt.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
We have everything we own insured with Nationwide and so far...over the past 30 years, every claim has been paid without argument and well above our expectations. We had two claims on the RV within 60 days of each other due to blown tires....no questions, they covered the damages. And, we have a local office and a local agent that we can talk to anytime. We might pay a little more by not bothering to shop around, but as for me and my house? We'll stick with Nationwide!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Also depends on the state. I had my 2006 HR in VA covered by Hartford. USAA would not convert the travel trailer (MH trade in) into a MH policy. Progressive was way high.

When we moved to FL in 2015, Hartford would not move the policy unless I put my cars under them as well. Cars have been under USAA since 1985 so that wasn't an option for us. Good Sam found us a decent rate with Allied. They replaced the broken windshield with no fuss (came to us). In FL $0 deductible on windshields so it is a state thing and not an INS company thing.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

Gottahaveit
Progressive !! If shopping State Farm, Allstate etc. be sure they truly insure RV's for replacement cost etc.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
One has to shop around, last year I was paying about $90 per month through State Farm for our 2002 Safari Trek, this year I shopped around and was able to cut that in half for nearly identical coverage with All-State.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I am paying $660.00 per year for my 2003 motor home but am trading up to 2013 and it will more than double, partly because I have had a claim, I had an argument with a Honda in a parking lot. I dropped Good Sam a couple years ago because my rates were over $900 every six months. I'm insured with Progressive now. So far I've been very happy with Progressive. Let you know more when the smoke clears they are covering a fire in one of the basement compartments, so far so good.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some companies that will write the insurance when you do not use it full-time, and others that offer full-timers coverage. Make sure you purchase what you need. It is true, the older the motorhome, the less the premium will be for comprehensive and collision coverages. The liability coverage, any medical, etc should be the same no matter the year. It may however increase based on the weight of the motorhome. The bigger, the more damage it can cause. We have our full-timers policy with Progressive. Before we went full-time, we had State Farm who does not write full-timers policies.
The state/area where you are purchasing the insurance, your personal credit history, your driving record all play a role in the rate you receive. It is very hard to compare yours to someone else's because of the personal difference in the above.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
progressive just quoted me $1250 for a year of full time insurance for my 2001 Beaver Contessa, 40' DP. 500 deductible
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
I use Auto- Owners Insurance. Not expensive and very good service.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Just for comparison I too am shopping for insurance for a new Class A Diesel Pusher Entegra MH. I've called my current two companies.

State Farm wants $5,500.00 a year
Progressive wants $3,700.00 a year

Both with $1,000.00 deductables and $0 deductable on glass replacement.

Progressive also has their deminishing deductable plan so for every year you go without making a claim they reduce your deductable until it reaches $0 on a claim. Progressive has been very good to me as I had 3 claims in 2017. One for my truck that cost $4,500.00 to fix and a new windshield after a trip to Alaska in 2016 and a blown out driver door window when a rock came off a cliff in Oregon and blew glass cubes all over the interior of the crew cab. VERY LOUD. Freaked our German Shephard out. Dog was shaking like a leaf and he was in the back seat.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch