cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A - Why so limited windows?

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 5th wheel currently and are debating if a Class A diesel would suit us better. We understand that we will be giving up floor space due to narrower slides, but we don't see many windows in the A units (looking under 40 feet). It seems like the windshield is the main window, where we have nice windows in the living area currently and a bath skylight.

For those that own a Class A, do you feel like your unit is dark or missing the outdoor view?
31 REPLIES 31

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with the original post. Why so few windows in the newer Class A. In our current Adventurer we have windows on both sides, so in a recent trip to Yellowstone we could say to the grandchildren: "look at the train, or look at the eagle, etc." The passenger was not glued to the I-pad because there was so much fantastic scenery to see along the way. Looking for a new MH most have been ruled out because the kitchen side has no windows at all. There are a few models that meet our requirements, very few, and time will tell if one will soon be ours.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of a TT I'm next to this weekend.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying you are "window deprived"; I own the same coach. But if you haven't seen some of the new MHs you don't understand how few windows they have. Last year we were parked next to a 45' American coach with a full wall slide that had only one tiny window over the kitchen sink on the entire length of the slide. What ever happened to cross ventilation, let alone the view? I know that there are lots of people who never open their windows; that may be fine for them but it sure wouldn't work for us.

Thank you! Yes, if I want a older unit, I can have tons of glass but new coaches all seem to have very little glass today.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
I'm sitting here at the dinette table looking out through 4 large window (not including the cockpit) and chuckling....didn't know I was window deprived. I guess in the bedroom?? Nope more large windows so it must be the toilet room where the window is small.

I don't think anyone is saying you are "window deprived"; I own the same coach. But if you haven't seen some of the new MHs you don't understand how few windows they have. Last year we were parked next to a 45' American coach with a full wall slide that had only one tiny window over the kitchen sink on the entire length of the slide. What ever happened to cross ventilation, let alone the view? I know that there are lots of people who never open their windows; that may be fine for them but it sure wouldn't work for us.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
I had an idea several months ago about this subject. With a small camera mounted on the outside, and a large(whatever size you want) monitor mounted inside, you could create the illusion of windows and still have a monitor when you so desired. And low and behold, one of the airlines is introducing that very idea on their airplanes. No windows, just monitors that work like windows. No structural compromises.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sitting here at the dinette table looking out through 4 large window (not including the cockpit) and chuckling....didn't know I was window deprived. I guess in the bedroom?? Nope more large windows so it must be the toilet room where the window is small.

Seriously, I've notice the number and size of the window vary hugely by the make and year. So if you want windows, there are coaches for you. What MH's typically don't have is the large rear window that towables are able put in. In truth, that was a feature we missed for a while after our move to a class A.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I'm guessing that less slides in older coaches has something to do with it. Slides take space, especially with framing them out. The OP also compares a 5th wheel to a Class A. The 5th wheel doesn't need the strength that a Class A, does, so more structural area can be given to windows.

As mentioned, larger and more TV's and bigger refers also take up space.
I agree with this post!

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

2004 Newmar Dutch Star

That would explain it, older units have more and larger windows.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
EricGT wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:

Generally, I want privacy when we are inside, the patio is for visiting and being in the open.

MM.

I must be more private, because I agree with this. When camping if we wish for a bit of privacy, we like to know we can simply move inside the motorhome.

Our class c had a huge window by the booth which I liked while inside, but did not care for the 'view' from the outside. Often times we would find ourselves lowering the blind because if not it would place us on display to the campers nearby.

However, tinting the windows would have certainly helped.

As I noted previously, the windows on our MH make it virtually impossible to see in during the day; we routinely leave our shades open. At night people can see in if lights are on inside and that's when we put the shades down since there's nothing to see when it's dark outside. Not all MH's are made the same; the dark privacy glass we have is similar to that installed in the rear area of many SUVs so people can't see the cargo, etc. They don't seem nearly as dark when you look out through them.
Sandie & Joel

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

Generally, I want privacy when we are inside, the patio is for visiting and being in the open.

MM.

I must be more private, because I agree with this. When camping if we wish for a bit of privacy, we like to know we can simply move inside the motorhome.

Our class c had a huge window by the booth which I liked while inside, but did not care for the 'view' from the outside. Often times we would find ourselves lowering the blind because if not it would place us on display to the campers nearby.

However, tinting the windows would have certainly helped.
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
sheltieRV wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
sheltieRV wrote:
we have a 5th wheel currently and are debating if a Class A diesel would suit us better. We understand that we will be giving up floor space due to narrower slides, but we don't see many windows in the A units (looking under 40 feet). It seems like the windshield is the main window, where we have nice windows in the living area currently and a bath skylight.

You state that you have windows in your living area. So do we. We have the big windshield and depending where you're parked it can afford a glorious view - rivers, lakes, mountains, wildlife. We choose public parks for that reason and choose a site that has a view and faces east or north so the sun doesn't affect the view. Along with the windshield letting in light and the view, we also have two large windows and a side window in the living area and a 30" long deep slide going back into the dining area.

In the dining/kitchen we have a large window and a side window and a kitchen window. Plus, we can easily see the view from the windshield and other windows. In the bedroom we have three windows. We also have a skylight in the bathroom and two Fantastic fans in the house that let in ceiling light. There is very little wall space without a window.

I think you just have to get used to having windows in different places. We have an abundance of light.

Would love to see a unit with that many windows. What do you have and what year is it?

2004 Newmar Dutch Star
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

docj
Explorer
Explorer
sheltieRV wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
sheltieRV wrote:

You state that you have windows in your living area. So do we. We have the big windshield and depending where you're parked it can afford a glorious view - rivers, lakes, mountains, wildlife. We choose public parks for that reason and choose a site that has a view and faces east or north so the sun doesn't affect the view. Along with the windshield letting in light and the view, we also have two large windows and a side window in the living area and a 30" long deep slide going back into the dining area.

In the dining/kitchen we have a large window and a side window and a kitchen window. Plus, we can easily see the view from the windshield and other windows. In the bedroom we have three windows. We also have a skylight in the bathroom and two Fantastic fans in the house that let in ceiling light. There is very little wall space without a window.

I think you just have to get used to having windows in different places. We have an abundance of light.

Would love to see a unit with that many windows. What do you have and what year is it?

That description pretty well describes our 2000 Beaver even though I know it was written about a different MH. I don't think that many windows was all that unusual then.
Sandie & Joel

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
sheltieRV wrote:

Gannet
Explorer
Explorer
In our shopping we've noticed the same thing, the newer coaches in general having less glass. Hard to say why, but we don't care for the trend. The more glass the better, for us.