cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C and a toad

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Forester River Forester 25ft (2501TS) and 27ft (2701DS).
Both come on the Ford E450 chassis and the V10 engine.

Will be using a Honda CRV for toad (approx. 3,200 lbs).

Just curious how folks that have a Class C think they handle pulling a toad?? Any real issues I should be considering??

Any help and suggestions appreciated.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
13 REPLIES 13

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone used the ReadyBrake tow bar system? Since the braking system is integrated within the tow bar, is it less expensive than buying tow bar, brake controller and separate braking device? Plus there's the breakaway system and what ever lights.

I had a co-worker who had bought a tow dolly used and then found out their truck was too wide for it. They sold the dolly for a slight loss and decided to just rent a car at their camping locations. Enterprise Car rental came out to their CG and drove them back to the office. Got good rate with AAA or other discounts. When ready to go they followed with the MH, drove to the office and dropped off the rental.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful about buying "used" towbars, we traded ours in after 100,000 towing miles metal gets fatiqe after awhile. We use the Blue Ox Adventa and tow a 4100 lb Saturn. If you buy used get low milage and maintained. Good Luck
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoachdriver, search craigslist and others for USED towbars etc. May even find baseplates. $1000 units can be had for around $200 normally, same for brake systems.

There are some salvage yards (1 in Yuma) that has used parts and is reasonably cheap. Another is to watch CW for their sales but they tend to be $$ even then. My unbit came with the tow bar and accessories, so we had to order base plates. Got mine at CW when they had $29 install. The parts were about $150 more than could be found on line but then would have had to downtime the car for me to install or go to someone who charged $75-100+/hr to do the work. So take your time and look to see what is avail;able out there and do an expanded search to your surrounding areas. There are some online places but I have not ever used or rally looked at them. Maybe someone can give ya a link to them: here is 1: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s=707c94e9854ca18d750d65b4e3a88ad7&showforum=37

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered a Forester 2701DS last month and we may make our 2000 CRV a toad. The increase in tow rating from 5,000 to 7,500lbs makes it well within the capacity to tow. We've never towed before, it looks like a lot of work to hookup and unhook. Plus it's going to cost $2,500+ for all the gear.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
Our 31' Itasca class C drives better with a tow than without one. Loose about 1/2 mpg in mileage is all.

Dave

When we had our 31' Tioga we felt the same, less sway with toad, 08 Vue.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Have pulled a toad for years, see signature. The Subaru is about the same weight as yours and have never had a problem. Just make sure you have an exit when you go anywhere. Disconnecting and reconnecting gets old really fast.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Most E-450s got a bump from 5000 pounds to 7500-8000 pounds. I would be pretty sure that you are well within the weight requirements, even if the toad is stocked with goodies.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we have 12 winnebago aspect, E450 with a Mikes 5 star tune. Your prospective rig will not have a problem power wise but a mikes tuner does wonders in its overall performance. No high reving noise to make ya wonder if its got something wrong, better throttle control and general trans control over stock.

we tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra at about 2800lbs, no issues

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 2501TS but it is on a Chevy Chassis with the 6.0 V8. I pull a 2915 Jeep Wrangler (somewhere around 4,000 pounds) with no problem. The V10 should handle it with no problem. JH

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Our 31' Itasca class C drives better with a tow than without one. Loose about 1/2 mpg in mileage is all.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a class "C" no problem just stay within the weight limit.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
2000 24' Class C with 2005 CRV in ACME EZ dolly.
I forget it us there.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Our 06 Winnie Outlook 29 ft handles the 12 CRV. No problems at all.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.