cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning fresh water tank

yudamann
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from our 11,000+ mile round trip to Alaska. We experienced varying levels of water quality at the many RV parks where we stayed. We returned with a fouled fresh water tank. I have super-clorinated it twice and flushed it afterwards, but we still get discolored water when using the tank. Water is clear when we use city water, so the piping is not the problem. There is no way to scour the inside of the tank. I am looking for suggestions for cleaning the residue from inside the tank.
yudamann
Outer Banks NC
2005 Allegro Bus 38TGP
2004 Acura MDX toad
Brakemaster toad brakes

"We need more fools to test fool-proof equipment"
14 REPLIES 14

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
I was also thinking what 'Path1' said, change your water filters too. It does seem odd it's clear from city water and dirty from your fresh tank. All the water should go through your filters. I'm puzzled.

Let us know what you find out.
MM.
X-2, A long time ago I had discolored water coming out of my water tank and it was from the water filter under the kitchen sink! If you forget to change your water filter it will break down over time!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I was also thinking what 'Path1' said, change your water filters too. It does seem odd it's clear from city water and dirty from your fresh tank. All the water should go through your filters. I'm puzzled.

Let us know what you find out.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

flylipsdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I like the one that said take a Sample in and have it tested.You Really can't fix it if ya don't know what it is!!!

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Short of trying every one of these suggestions, I'd say drain it and let it dry completely out. It's still summertime and warm, so maybe you can starve off anything that's growing inside the tank.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
What about peroxide? Mot sure how much you would use. The other thing is CLR.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Some slight chance you have a filter just on self contained side of water?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
CW and others sell a cleaning disinfecting kit follow the instructions.

sounds like the surfaces of the tanks and lines is covered in whatever dirt etc that was in the water.
I might fill the tanks as instructed and drive it around a while and let it slosh good before going to the next step.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Try to get a sample of water from the tank which shows the discoloration. Take it to your local water company and have them test it. If you can learn what it is, maybe you can better determine what to do about it. A plumber with an inspection scope might be able to see the inside via the filler if it is open to the outside..
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm intrigued.. Something just isn't right. You've flushed it out and have no problem with city water. And I assume by your posting water was OK before trip, so what happened must of happened on your trip. I would say keep flushing, but this might not be the usual flush and flush and flush some more. What color is discolored water? Has water pressure dropped in self contain mode? To find out more or what maybe in tank get a jar and catch some draining out and let it sit maybe 24 hours. See if whatever sinks to bottom or floats in a jar as in rust or very small rubber particles as in water pump insides getting chewed up or maybe even whatever stays mixed in with water. Maybe someone (child) was playing around and dumped something inside (dirt or whatever) but that would come out when you flushed. If someone started fueling up and stopped real quick you might be able to smeel it. Can you get a visual on your tank? One of our is blue color and hard to see. One is white and still can hardly really see.
Keep us posted. This has me interested.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

cire
Explorer
Explorer
After you bleach the tank I would suggest draining it of as much water as possible and letting the tank dry out. I would add beach to your tank as a last step to draining it. You may have "stuff" growing on the roof of your tank. Also you may have dead bacteria stuck to the walls of your tank.

Another more radical step would be to drill precision holes in your pure water tank. With one or two holes drilled, high in the tank, you could get a high pressure water washer and clean your tank. You would likely need special, home made fitting to reach most of the tank. If the hole is large enough you could get a garden hose as well as your arm in the tank.

The holes that you drill could be glued shut. A better method, one that I have used in my black tank, is to purchase "test plugs" for the holes that you have drilled. Test plugs are rubber plugs that expand when you tighten a fitting on the outside of the test plug. All the big box hardware stores and most regular hardware stores have these items. This step is the most radical but it is the only method that I can conceive of to aggressively clean the inside walls of your water tank. I put a 4" test plug in my black tank. Long story about why I did it. I have used the test plug annually to clean my black tank thoroughly. I would do it again in a minute.
Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 14' Honda CRV

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running the pump to get the bleach water out or just using the low point drain. After letting it sit I would try opening the low point drain while running more fresh water through the fill port.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sanitize the complete water system by putting 1/4 cup of bleach for every 10 gallons of water. Run the solution through the system and let it sit over night.
Flush system with fresh water.
To complete run a solution of baking soda and water through the system to kill the bleach taste.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

yudamann
Explorer
Explorer
I did this twice already for 2 days each with about 3 times the normal bleach concentration. No change to color of water after draining and filling tank with city water then using tank again.
yudamann
Outer Banks NC
2005 Allegro Bus 38TGP
2004 Acura MDX toad
Brakemaster toad brakes

"We need more fools to test fool-proof equipment"

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Put in bleach, make sure the tank is full and let it sit this way for at least 24 HOURS before rinsing.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer