cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Continuing to think about down sizing...need comments:

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is not comfortable (if fact won't) driving our class A Itasca. For that reason, we've (about) decided to down size to a smaller class C. We're looking at a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite and a 2017 Thor Gemini. I recognize that these are basically entry level coaches but are on quality Ford chassis'. My question is directed to anyone who has knowledge about Thor's quality or lack thereof. Your advice and counsel regarding this pending purchase will be greatly appreciated. / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
38 REPLIES 38

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I envy you guys with wives that drive. Mine never has and doesn't want to. She also doesn't want to participate in hooking/unhooking the car, or hooking up utilities etc. She does however take care of all things inside including wait on me hand and foot while I am driving. All things considered our program works for us.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you drive a smaller one before purchasing. I know some who went from class A DP to a class B and didn't realize how nice their class A was to drive compared to their new class B. Just saying because I have never driven anything but a class A DP.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
My wife drove our class c. She flat wouldn't pull the 5er, I was fine with that.

We/she wants to try the class A. We're going to go to a large parking lot sometime so she can just "try it out". If she feels comfortable with that, we may try the road.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
goufgators wrote:
My wife is not comfortable (if fact won't) driving our class A Itasca. For that reason, we've (about) decided to down size to a smaller class C. We're looking at a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite and a 2017 Thor Gemini. I recognize that these are basically entry level coaches but are on quality Ford chassis'. My question is directed to anyone who has knowledge about Thor's quality or lack thereof. Your advice and counsel regarding this pending purchase will be greatly appreciated. / Larry

From the OP: Good comments to all. Many thanks! I've always been a man who was able to face a problem, quickly size up the issue and determine a proper course of action. Not so much in deciding whether to down size. I really like our '05 Itasca Sunrise and am somewhat hesitant to trade or sell it. So...again thanks for your comments. I'll just have to weigh this issue a bit longer (aka sleep on it).

Yes the grass is not always greener in the RV world. If you like your RV there is always a risk of giving it up. My wife does not feel comfortable driving our Rv either. I have no doubt she could in an emergency, but she prefers not to. And that's ok. I would never ask her to do something she didn't want. We thought about a B, then changed our minds once we took a hard look at our needs in an RV. The space, comfort and overall enjoyment of the RV we have now outweighed the small percentage of time we spend driving vs camping to take on the risk of an RV we might not like as much.
2013 ACE 29.2

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
I am a happy driver of our 27 foot Class C. Every once in a while my husband will ask if he's ever going to get a turn.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am the sole driver of our 39 foot diesel pusher. You could try telling your wife that there are many woman that successfully drive one but she may never feel comfortable. I would look at Winnebago rather than Thor. They have a number of nice motorhomes that your wife would drive.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

From the OP: Good comments to all. Many thanks! I've always been a man who was able to face a problem, quickly size up the issue and determine a proper course of action. Not so much in deciding whether to down size. I really like our '05 Itasca Sunrise and am somewhat hesitant to trade or sell it. So...again thanks for your comments. I'll just have to weigh this issue a bit longer (aka sleep on it).
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the DW, and I'm not willing to drive a 40'. If it comes to that, I quit. I'm very intimidated and honestly don't think I would ever get comfortable with it.

Have a friend who traded her 40' Class A for a Class C for the simple fact she couldn't drive the A and needed to get home very quickly due to a death. Her DH had to drive almost non-stop to get home. She wanted something she could drive so she could help, if needed. It wasn't long before they realized they hated the Class C and are now back into a large Class A. No telling how much money was lost.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
So... you think you're superior to her? LOL We both drove the 40' motorhome. In fact, for our all-summer Alaskan trip we took turns daily so each of us could enjoy the scenery.

There's nothing magical in the process. Both can do it equally well.

Only if she's willing,,,, or like the original poster who's wife isn't.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
I won't let mine tow our fifthwheel hauler, even tho it is hers. There is a lot of wisdom, experience involved here and I don't have the patience or death wish to teach her.

I will drive.....

So... you think you're superior to her? LOL We both drove the 40' motorhome. In fact, for our all-summer Alaskan trip we took turns daily so each of us could enjoy the scenery.

There's nothing magical in the process. Both can do it equally well.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I won't let mine tow our fifthwheel hauler, even tho it is hers. There is a lot of wisdom, experience involved here and I don't have the patience or death wish to teach her.

I will drive.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
She probably won't drive the Class "C" either.

LOL what I was thinking also.Mine wont drive our 41ft DP and I don't want her too so were both happy on that deal

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
after 27 years of rving my wife came to a similar conclusion.
after looking at dismal trade in value and sky high prices on new rigs, I told her I would be happy to do all the driving if we could keep our well cared for 32' A
thats the plan now

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go rent a Class C for a week long trip to see if #1 she'll drive it and #2 if she'll like the smaller space before laying out the money, especially for a new one.

What happens if she won't drive it and doesn't like the smaller space? You'll take a very large bath on selling it and buying another Class A.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
The DH wanted a Class C that she could drive. She came home from shopping one day, and told me she put a $1000 down on a Jayco Redhawk. It was a nice C that would fill our needs and we bought it. She only drove it once and that was it.

I like the C, didn't have any problems for the 2 years we had it. Went to the RV Show to look at all the goodies and see the new RV's. This is when we got the 27K. The C was like being in a box and the "A" was really open.

You might want to look for a smaller Class A.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow