cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corner Bed Help?

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2014 Sunseeker 2300. we really like the mh but this is the first corner bed we have had. What suggestions do you have on making it up. Just put sheets on it and it wore me out
36 REPLIES 36

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to practice at home before buying, try making your bed at home while you're in it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a corner bed once and used a Travasak but they are pricy and the sheets are really big for your washer. Now that we are looking for a C, if we like everything else, I can live with a corner bed.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Safari-Rick
Explorer
Explorer
OldRadios wrote:
We avoided a corner bed for that reason and because I don't like to be sandwiched between two walls when I sleep. A friend has one though and he says he stands the mattress on its side and pulls it out a little. Then puts puts the bottom on. That would get old real fast.

DITTO, DITTO ! Let's see as one get's older how long they can lift the mattress let alone crawling over someone to go to the bathroom!
:h
Better to have more then you need then to not have enough!

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
We love our corner bed, but I agree it's not as easy to make as a walk around bed. Here's how I minimize the fitted sheet fun:

1. Put mattress cover and flannel fitted sheet on mattress. We only do this once per season.
2. Use the flat flannel sheet as the new bottom sheet by just tucking it down around the edges and under the corner that is accessible. I'm sure this would work with regular cotton sheets as well, but I bought flannel and figured they may "stick" together better between the fitted and the fake-fitted (flat sheet).
3. Use a spare flat sheet as your actual flat sheet (we had one on hand from a set where the fitted sheet got destroyed). Lay it on the bed and tuck it in at the bottom edge (and/or sides, if you prefer).
4. Now put your comforter on as usual.
5. When you come back from a trip, just take the two flat sheets off to wash them. Once per season (or at some frequency that suits you), take the fitted sheet and mattress cover off to wash. Now you only have to put those on occasionally, rather than at every washing!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I fail to see all the big problems. We have a rear corner bed and it works just fine. As with everything in our RV, it is a compromise so everything fits in an RV under 25 feet. We sleep like babies in the RV and the minimal extra work dealing with a bed in the corner is a worthy trade for all the benefits it brings to us.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
I have the queen corner bed also. (Sunseeker 2450). I put a mattress cover on and work my way to outer corner, then follow with the fitted sheet. I then put my duvet cover on (you could use comforter, quilt, etc). I don't use a top sheet at all. Once you get the fitted sheet on that part is done until you have to launder it. We actually sleep on top of the duvet cover and just cover with throws or other quilts, etc. Then in the morning you just fold up the covers and place at head or foot of bed and it looks neat again. I, too, am 62 with a bad knee and a really bad back but once you get the fitted sheet on (which takes a max of 5 minutes), you're done for the week.

Also getting the memory foam and just making it is another excellent idea.

I really don't mind the corner bed and I have plenty of room to get out at foot of bed without disturbing my husband.

That's the way I do or like rvBill...it's a trade-off for a mh with that small footprint...

markbrumbaugh
Explorer
Explorer
Make it up once, nice and pretty with a cover. For emergencies. The use sheets on top or sleeping bags.
Patriot Guard, USA Ice Hockey Ref and Level 4 Coach, Reg Prof ChE
Hunting, Fishing, Lakehouse, Grandkids, Kids, Camping
Vulcan 900, Morphous

S10sler
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
Duvets are our solution to three problems, hard-to-make-the-bed and fighting-over-the-blanket and bedspread-gritty-after-the-beach.
The duvet is a thin (or comfy thicker in winter) comforter with a decorative/protective slip cover. Grab one end and give it a flip and the bed is made each day. Two narrow ones give us one each.

that's pretty much what I made. It does make it easier to make and sleep in. And if we shower every night before bed, the sheets don't need washing as much

S10sler
Explorer
Explorer
concord 05 wrote:
Have spent a few nights in our 2300 sunseeker. Added a 3 in memory foam. And it is quite comfortable. Did switch out the original bedspread for a patterned quilt and it is easier to make the bed. Think I might invest in a long handled reacher to help make it. Since I sleep on the inside I find I tend to sink into the memory foam when I scoot out the bottom of the bed. Thinking about buying "silk" pjs and see if can just "slide" right out of bed. Found out the bed is large enough for 3, when our 10 year old granddaughter got out of her dinette bed and climbed in with us. At least this time camping she didn't cry for her mother and beg us to take her home, (which we didn't ).

Love the idea of silk PJ's lol...Crawling over only worries me that I'm gonna crack my hubbys skinny calves...lol
We just ordered a 10" Brentwood Gel Memory Foam....ordered it thru Amazon Prime so I get free shipping and if I return it, free shipping back!! Here's hoping we like it!!

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
We avoided a corner bed for that reason and because I don't like to be sandwiched between two walls when I sleep. A friend has one though and he says he stands the mattress on its side and pulls it out a little. Then puts the back corners on then pushes it back in and lays it down flat and then puts the bottom on. That would get old real fast.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Duvets are our solution to three problems, hard-to-make-the-bed and fighting-over-the-blanket and bedspread-gritty-after-the-beach.
The duvet is a thin (or comfy thicker in winter) comforter with a decorative/protective slip cover. Grab one end and give it a flip and the bed is made each day. Two narrow ones give us one each.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Have spent a few nights in our 2300 sunseeker. Added a 3 in memory foam. And it is quite comfortable. Did switch out the original bedspread for a patterned quilt and it is easier to make the bed. Think I might invest in a long handled reacher to help make it. Since I sleep on the inside I find I tend to sink into the memory foam when I scoot out the bottom of the bed. Thinking about buying "silk" pjs and see if can just "slide" right out of bed. Found out the bed is large enough for 3, when our 10 year old granddaughter got out of her dinette bed and climbed in with us. At least this time camping she didn't cry for her mother and beg us to take her home, (which we didn't ).

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the 2300, and do about the same thing as Bill. Lay the bedding into the far end with some slack in front of you. Set up the bedding and start working backwards. It's not as easy as a walk-around bed. It just takes some exercise, it's good for you. ๐Ÿ™‚ I convinced my wife that it doesn't have to be perfect, so once it's made, it's just a matter of a quick straightening out.

To those who would never have a corner bed... in this particular model, the bed is quite large. It is a home-size 60x80, and the opening to the bed is likewise large. It is relatively easy to crawl out of bed while the other person stays put. It's more the crawling itself, rather than having to work around the other person, that would be an issue for someone. The person on the aisle side has it quite easy, actually. Just sit up down by your knees and get out. It's no walk-around, but to us it is a good compromise for getting a nice big bed in a small Class C. We got the upgraded Serta mattress and it is very comfy.

There is quite a bit of storage over the bed, so crawling on the bed now and then is something you just have to do. I'd rather not have to, but something has to give. In exchange, we can drive and camp with ease due to the small footprint. We could have afforded something bigger, but it was a lifestyle decision. We love it.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
S10sler wrote:
I too have the corner bed and HATE it because !0 the mattress is lousy...we sink into the middle and have to "lift" ourselves out to turn over...thinking it's the memory foam? It's the "upgraded Serta" that came with our 2011 Sunseeker. Researching new mattresses as I write.

We also had the upgraded Serta and had the same problem of sinking in the middle. Replaced it with a mattress from Camping World (I believe the brand was Avena). It is 7" of dense foam with a 3" top of memory foam. It is fantastic. We bought the full queen with the intention that I would unzip the cover and trim the one end to round it. After putting on the platform, we decided to just leave it as is. The little bit that it sticks out over the rounded corner platform is not really a problem. The comfort of the mattress cannot be overstated. It is really wonderful and worth the price.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy