cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card limits when filling up the tank

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the RV scene for a while but now that we have a new MH I remembered something about credit card limits at the gas pumps. Assuming those restrictions are still in place, are they controlled by the credit card issuer or by the gas station? Is there a way to get around the limits? I hate using a credit card, but I also hate the idea of carrying enough cash to fill the MH multiple times.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
61 REPLIES 61

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I estimate what my dollar amount will be on fill up, go inside and they swipe your card and get a pre authorization on that amount, after you fill up go back in and they give you a receipt for the actual amount used, if less than the pre authorized amount. Been doing this for several years with no issues, but I only do business with the truck stops.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw gave the correct answer. There is a middleman processing the cards and guarantees that the station will get it's money. Consequently, they are not going to allow a $500.00 purchase on a fuel card and then guarantee that it's good. This is different then a retail store because it's so easy to commit CC theft at a fuel pump.

It makes life easier when stations allow the higher limit and we can get filled up with just two swipes.

In this day and age......I think you're asking for CC fraud when you take your card into a station and leave it with the attendant. You know, the one with the tattoo's, nose ring and the hole in their ears that you can drive a golf ball thru.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that it is the card processor that sets the limits.

The card processor is a middle-man most people don't realize exists in many transactions.

I used to do IT work for a major quick service restaurant company - the second largest in the US.

One project we completed just before I left was to move the credit card processing in-house. So we would deal directly with the CC issuing banks for payment.

It exposed the company to some additional potential for fraudulent use and stolen card risks. But we saved the company $6 million a year in fees to the credit card processor middlemen by setting up our own internal system.

Most retail companies try to go with the cheapest processor of the credit cards. And those companies like to limit their risks and place artificial limits on transactions.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
After talking to many merchants and several banks and others, I have come to the conclusion that it is the card processor that sets the limits.
the bank says, "NO, it is not us!"
The merchants all say "NO, we didn't set that limit, it must be Visa (or Mastercard or Discover, or..."
Since there is no consistency in the limit, it stands to reason that it is not the card issuer or the bank. At some stations, a visa will get you $75, while at other stations the same card will get $125 or $150 or may not have a limit. Even using a debit card as a credit card varies widely.
It must be the POS (NO, that does NOT mean "piece of.....", it means Point Of Sale) transaction processor!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

I try to avoid those places----hit the truck stops, pick up the phone, provide the info they request, pump, go inside and pay......Works at most truck stops. I don't understand what someone said above about the Shell card.....My Shell limit is sure a whole lot more than whats mentioned above. Most charge less for cash payment. Read the signs as you pass.

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
I was pleasantly surprised when I filled mine at the Flying J in Winslow, AZ. It said there was a $150 limit on the pump, but it kept going until I filled the tank (over 100 gallons) in a 150 gallon tank.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Too shay Plummer. On the money!
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
timmac wrote:
Maybe change CC companies, I have a Shell gas card with a higher limit than the normal $75.00, I just called them and they approved my limit to $150.00 for each fill up just on my card only but than my wife has a card with the $75.00 limit so that gives us $225.00 for each fill up if needed.

+1 that a shell MC seems to have better privileges at shell stations.
Otherwise go inside and tell them 100 gallons to really mess with their mind.

PlumberJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with the gas cap settings,but found out from my credit card banks that if you let them know you are traveling during a certain time period and that you will be using the card multiple times a day at one vendor they will not flag your card. Sure helped on our Calif. to D.C. trip. Used same card 4 times at one gas station, $50.00 limit
so swipe card - pump gas, swipe card - pump gas,and so on. No inconvenience should interrupt RV life.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I think the limits are set by the store. I ask the store one time and was told the credit card company set the limit. I then call the card company and they said the store. If the card company set them it would apply to all stations. I am incline to believe the store set them.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
swipe $ limits are set by the merchant, # of uses in a day by the card issuer. We use only AAA card for fuel for the 5% discount, and security, have advised AAA that it is only for fuel, only on our travel route, for up to our daily limit.
Call your issuer for use above merchant limits.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe change CC companies, I have a Shell gas card with a higher limit than the normal $75.00, I just called them and they approved my limit to $150.00 for each fill up just on my card only but than my wife has a card with the $75.00 limit so that gives us $225.00 for each fill up if needed.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Just a 2 person job. Wife goes in with credit card and pilot card if pilot sta and tells them pump #. They then turn on until filled. Better than turning pump on several times. Works for us. Surprised, got 3 cent discount yesterday at pilot. Plus 5% from credit card people. I'm happy. That is about 19 cents per gallon discount.

robanddi
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that generally we can use same credit card back-to-back BUT with 150 gallon tank, it often stutters with the third swipe. Some places you can go inside and they will take your credit card and at other places you must come up with second card (and often need to call the first issuer since a fraud alert may be triggered).

Diann

P.S. We avoid cash like the plague. For one we can get either discounts on fuel purchased or frequent flyer points or whatever.
Robert & Diann
2001 34' Foretravel U270
2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Burton TX

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Ether swipe the card twice or go inside. A few years ago at a station I had to swipe three times 'cause it would only give me $75.00 each time