cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins 8.3 330hp ?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for pros and cons on this engine? Anything that I should look at? It's in an 2005 motorhome. with 49,000 miles. Thanks
Brian
22 REPLIES 22

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
uncle t wrote:
cummins rep told me you cannot chip the 330 hp being discussed in this thread.

Its been discussed MANY times on this BB that it cant be chipped
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
Oh,at about 70 it runs about 2000rpm's which is a good range.

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 8.3 Cummins 300 HP, with a 4 speed allison, its old, a 1992 American Eagle. It had 120k plus miles on it when we bought it. So far I have added 8k. I pull a Saturn Vue which is pretty light weight, can go 70mph down the highway. Slow starting out from stop lights until the turbo kicks in, have not gone up more then the standard 8% grade that I know of, it slows down, but if I can get a clear spot generally goes around semis going up. Now if I get behind one that is going really slow on much of a grade I have trouble picking up much speed. Some of the semis will block both lanes and that is really aggravating to me. I have no idea how it would do in true mountains, hubby says very slow but it would get there.

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have this engine on our 2002 Fleetwood bounder with 110.000 miles on it. Engine runs like new with plenty of power going up hills. We are pulling a Ford Escape on a Dolly. Go for it !!
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
The ISC 8.3 you can upgrade by a software change, however, the older mechanical 8.3 must be mechanically altered. There are fuel plates available from several manufacturers that increase the fueling of the mechanical 8.3c engines. Banks also has an upgrade kit I believe to squeeze some more power out of the 8.3 Cummins. I think it puts it up to something like 400 hp and 1150 ft/lbs of torque but don't quote me on the rating.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
uncle t wrote:

Absolutely correct. The chip is already there. Its just a keystroke programming change. If you ever have the chance to see the screen its kinda neat. There is a surcharge for any selection made though. If still in warranty the change won't be made until the fee is paid. After that just a matter of finding someone with the software to do it.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

TempatureContro
Explorer
Explorer
Had ours since new (06 Monaco Knight). Had to replace the exhaust manifold @~35,000 miles. Other then that,no issues. Does not use any oil between annual changes.
If you purchase this or some other rig,Important to call Cummins with Serial # of engine to determine #of quarts oil inc. filter capacity. Some oil pans are for 18 Qts and some for 24 according to manual. Although the factory told me 23 when I called with mine.
Also, mark the dipstick with a file mark after you get changed with the proper amount as they are virtually never correct.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins 8.3 is a great engine. It is a sleeved engine and as long as the weight of the coach is within the 1HP/100LBS range it should perform well.

I too would insist on seeing some maintenance records and checking the SCA levels as well as making sure they have been maintained over its life. Letting that go can create issues liner pitting and potentially end up with coolant getting into the liners over the course of its life.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Cummins 8.3 has been around for a long time and it's the best engine for mid size DPs. The ISL 400/425 is nothing but a stroked (8.8L) ISC and it has proven to be a good engine too. 50K miles is nothing as I have a FL 70 with the 8.3 and 350K miles that runs great and gets good fuel mileage.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
My rig cruises down the highway very nicely with the Equinox in tow. Takes the grades well in the east and midwest, west of Denver it was challenged as most motorhomes are. Would I like a 400hp or bigger? Of course, most people would, but after driving this rig for four seasons and 30,000 miles, I've decided I don't have to be the first guy to reach the Eisenhower Tunnel.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Great engine!
The only semi-common failure I know of is the occasional cracked exhaust manifold - but it's not too expensive to replace.
They tend to run great right up to around 750000 miles where they may experience oil leakage from the head gasket (but still run fine). Most people do an "in-frame" rebuild at that point since they're so far into it.
Yep, like its little brother, this is a great engine.

pitchindad1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one in a 2004 Holiday Rambler with 106,000 miles. It has run flawless over the 8 years I have owned it. I keep up with the maintenance myself. It hasn't missed a beat yet. I wouldn't be scared to buy another one if I knew someone had done the routine maintenance. By the way it had fewer than 26,000 when I bought it so I have put some miles on this motorhome. Towed a car 06 Ponatic, and boat 22'.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Greyghost wrote:
If it has the same capabilities as the ISL

Cummins 8.3 ISC

Firetruck/motorhome/truckFiretruck/motorhome/truck
1,050 pound force-feet (1,424 Nยทm) @ 1,300 rpm, 310 horsepower (231 kW; 314 PS) electronically governed at 2,500 rpm
1,150 pound force-feet (1,559 Nยทm) @ 1,300 rpm, 330 horsepower (246 kW; 335 PS) electronically governed at 2,500 rpm
1,200 pound force-feet (1,627 Nยทm) @ 1,300 rpm, 400 horsepower (298 kW; 406 PS) electronically governed at 2,400 rpm

WRONGO!! You cant re-program an ISC to any higher HP rating than a factory made engine of the same series. If for example the highest made factory ISC was rated at say 370 HP....then the highest you can have another ISC re-programmed is ....370 HP.

Your ISL engine was re-programmed to the specs of a factory produced 400 ISL...nothing more
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape