cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish VIP 211K Receiver Questions....

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on getting Dish TV, Pay As You Go Service. The recommended receiver is the VIP211K. We plan to couple that with a hard disk and pay the $40 one time fee to Dish for DVR capabilities. We understand it is a single tuner receiver so we understand some of the limitations. But we have several specific questions that we would love some help with. Thanks in advance.

1) Does the VIP211K have the DVR scheduling software built into it so that scheduling something to be recorded at 2AM for example, is pretty straightforward whether you are at home or away?

2) When watching TV live, can you play back a play in football for example or even go back 10-15 minutes?

3) If you are currently recording a show on TV, can you play back something on your TV that you recorded previously?

4) Can you start watching a recording that is in progress (for example 30 minutes into a 1 hour show)? Or do I have to wait until that show is completely recorded.

We previously had Comcast TV at home, but we sold our home literally 10 days ago and are now trying to full time it. We are now trying to come up with our TV solution. We do want HD which is why we have excluded Direct TV.

Thanks again, Tom & Diane
10 REPLIES 10

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
don/lou wrote:

If you're saying you can watch a live satellite feed program while you're recording a different satellite feed program with a 211k, I would love to know how you're accomplishing that.

I dont see where the OP asked that question??
For his questions the answer to all is YES
Don

You're correct he didn't ask what I answered, however I still think the answer to #3 is NO.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

don_lou
Explorer
Explorer

If you're saying you can watch a live satellite feed program while you're recording a different satellite feed program with a 211k, I would love to know how you're accomplishing that.

I dont see where the OP asked that question??
For his questions the answer to all is YES
Don
Don & Louise

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
dgcarver wrote:
Bullydogs1 has the right answer. Yes to all. I have been using the 211k for two years and can verify that he he correct!

dgcarver
Explorer
Explorer
Bullydogs1 has the right answer. Yes to all. I have been using the 211k for two years and can verify that he he correct!
RV - 2011 Winnebago Vista 26P
TV - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

vtbig
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...in order to watch one show while recording another your will need a satellite dish that has two feeds...as well as a dual LNB to allow recording from one satellite and watching from another
Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011
8.1 Workhorse/Allison

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
1) Yes, it's part of the Dish program guide, not the 211k
2) Yes, you can go back even if you're not recording the program. If you do it on a program you're recording, it will cancel the recording process
3) No, but you can watch a DVD or TV using your OTA.
4) Yes, there is a fast forward and a skip forward (usually used to skip through commercials during playback).

One important thing to note is the hard drive has to be externally powered (120VAC). It cannot be a USB powered drive.

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
I would question some of the previous responses. The 211K is not a DVR unit. You would have to be recording a show on the external drive to go back in time.

I donโ€™t believe you can record a program and watch another live, or previously recorded show. The recording hard drive is not part of 211K, basically it is single station unit.

Chime in if you feel differently.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
And for the DVR capability, you will need to add a external hard drive to the receiver.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, yes to all your questions. We had the VIP for some time before switching to a Hopper and a Joey. Nicer combo for us but the VIP did a great job while we had it.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is yes to all of your questions...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)