cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic roof are motor shot. How easy to replace?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 13.5 Dometic Roof top air that the motor has gone bad. Getting some quotes now to have the motor replaced. I was wondering if this is a DIY job or if it's time to just replace the entire unit. Rear bedroom unit is same size and still running good. This one that is bad is our main living area unit. Also considering since it's 7 years old just replacing the entire unit. If I did this how hard of a job is it to DIY? Or is it better just to pay someone and have it done right? If it's plug and play then there are no worries for me to just do it myself but if it involves wiring and other stuff I will just pay to have it done.

Also where is the best place to buy a new unit? And should I upgrade to a 15K roof air? Also what should I expect to pay for a new one? Any help would be appreciated..
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

41 REPLIES 41

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said the motor was bad but I'm not clear if it's the compressor motor or fan motor. Big difference in the replacement complexity.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced both of mine last year. The actual install was no problem take out 1 and replace with the new. I used a friends shop so I had access to a hi-lo on the 1st one. the second one I just used a long ladder at about a 30 degree angle and hoisted it up while a friend pushed it. We did have an escape plan so no one would get hurt. It is not difficult and we did it in under 2.5 hrs.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a new Coleman 15000 2 weeks ago. The hardest part was getting the new one on the roof. It's a very easy swap out. The Coleman comes with great directions.

As others have said though, 7 years old should not need replaced. Mine was 19 years old. The new one cools 5 times faster than the old one.

Good luck.
John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Please check the start capacitor first. The beauty of having a working unit which is a twin of the nonworking unit is the ability to swap the small parts for troubleshooting. I have replaced three capacitors, successfully, in my in my 34 year TT/RV experience.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
My units are 15 years old and still cooling, I replace both motors a few years back. Does not take that long. Everything done from the top. If they still are cooling then its your call. Every year clean and lube the motors.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
I can get the unit on the roof no problem. As long as hookup is the same as the old one it shouldn't be a big deal. The 13.5 cools ok but takes awhile. I have a RV Guardian 6500 generator so that would be my only concern is running both a 13.5 and a 15k at the same time. It gets in the 110's here easy in the summers...
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

I believe that the hardest part of the job is actually the new unit onto the RV Roof . . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it with a 15000 btu model.

It takes two people to lift it mostly due to size but also weight & balance.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much do the units weigh? I also have a bad one and was thinking of replacing with a newer model myself. If need be I can actually access a forklift if I needed it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
If you are even the least bit handy and don't mind getting on top of your RV, this is definitely a do-it-yourself job and will save you several hundred dollars.

If the 13,500 BTU unit was doing the job before, why go larger?

Don't know best place to buy in Utah, but bought a Carrier brand 13,500 unit in Houston from PPL last week, rooftop and ceiling unit for ducted system, for $546.70, plus sales tax.

4 bolts connect the upper and lower units, then unless your rig is really old, the electrical connections are modular. One thing to make sure of is clean very well all areas where the gasket touches.

Took about 1.5 hours to install. Just watch carefully as you un-install the old one, and re-install the new one the same way and you will be surprised at how easy and quickly you will finish the job.
Good luck.

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
Better check the starting capacitor before you do anything drastic. Might just be a $25 - $30 part. Unit should not be bad at 7 years.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
do you have a way to get the old one off the roof? And get the new one up on the roof? Fork lift? extra help? that would be my concern.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD