cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers license requirements

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40ft. The Fleetwood brochure list the "bumper to bumper" length as 40'11" . In the same brochure both models 40J and 40L are listed as 39'11" overall length. All three models are riding on the spartan liberty chassis. For licensing purposes what length controls, the model designation or measured length?

I appreciate feedback from someone knowledgeable about this subject

Thank you
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R
61 REPLIES 61

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
3882DOUG wrote:
Do the state requirements everyone is talking about apply for driving on interstates also or just for state and county roads?

If it's like TX, you need the B endorsement to drive in the State. Ours does not address length though. It addresses weight (over 26000) requires the endorsement. BUT, if you're legal in Minnesota, you would be legal in TX or any other state.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

3882DOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Do the state requirements everyone is talking about apply for driving on interstates also or just for state and county roads?

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Bobkatmsu, if your referring to me i have a Class A CDL with doubles and triples endorsement so i also dont worry about licensing.

Awesome, your the last person I would be concerned about. I would be concerned if I didn't have the proper licensing and there was an accident. In my business, I have a fleet of trucks and cars, I have learned from my experiences and other business owners that attorney's look for anything and everything that they can bring up in court. Whether it's tires or brakes that are a little worn, to the training and qualifications of the driver. They can make a minuscule problem area into a million dollar settlement.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Bobkatmsu, if your referring to me i have a Class A CDL with doubles and triples endorsement so i also dont worry about licensing.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raider-Rider. I am a CA resident and I have a 40+ foot motorhome. The law reads any housecar (CA name) that is "over" 40 feet requires a Class B NCDL.

If your MH is 40'-1"... you are over 40' and require this license.Since our motor homes don't have "bumper"s, the mh is measured from the front's furthest most portion of fiberglass body to the rear's furthest most portion of the fiberglass body. Mirrors and ladders are excluded.

I don't think I've ever seen a mh pulled over by a LEO, but I have seen those involved in an accident. You can bet that a driver's license will be the first thing the LEO asks for. Now whether or not he will drag out his tape measure, I have no idea...but if he does and you're over 40' and only have a Class C license, you can expect to be cited. However, that in turn will raise a big red flag with your insurance company and I bet you will be left with a huge bill and a possible law suit.

So... getting a Class B NCDL is kinda a pain in the butt, but ya gotta ask yourself....which would be worse.

I got mine.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
"i dont do anything to get pulled over."

I guess my concern would be if you were involved in an accident. An attorney could make a huge deal out of the fact that you were not properly licensed and therefore you had intentionally been reckless and put his client in danger because you did not follow the law.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone that responded.
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 2004 MH back in that year and got it registered, did the 91 day out of state BOE exemption, they measured it at the DMV. I had what Country Coach called the California Forty, 39' 11". I applied for a Class B anyway.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
The opinion coming from myself in Nv is because i have just read the Ca book for rv's as we are building a new home there. I looked at it again and it just says over 40ft in length and excludes safety bumpers and devices. I know that in code there are also exceptions for attachments such as ladders etc. Myself i dont worry about small stuff like length as i dont do anything to get pulled over. I have been stopped in an rv twice in my life, once because the CHP officer didnt think i was legal towing doubles but he was wrong and the other because the CHP officer was going to buy a new truck and wanted to know why i could do the speed limit up the grades on hwy 50. I was stopped once in Nv in a forklift because they thought it was too wide and they were wrong. My current mh and boat is 71ft.

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
Just go get the endorsement, I did. It doesn't cost very much and it's a piece of cake.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
One more opinion, I would probably plan to get the endorsement. I for one won't look down my nose at anyone driving around non compliant as I did for years. I never worried about being pulled over but I am concerned with causing an accident and being eaten alive without proper licensure.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see...
You got a response from someone in Michigan, Tennessee, and Nevada.
Now, you have one from Montana (we don't have to deal with any such licensing requirement).
IMO, it is time to go to the source for information about California driver licensing and how it applies (or does not apply) to the coach you are planning on buying. You do not need opinions from various people around the country (and the world), you need FACTS from the people who administer the program in your state.
Good luck
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would print the brochure, keep it in the glove box, and if I was ever pulled over I'd show them the brochure. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's right there and in black and white.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
In California, I would consider it 40 feet and go for the license. Might get away without it, but could be bad if you don't. lAnd if you have never driven anything that big, then get some training.

I am inclined to agree that to err on the side of caution and get the license would be ideal. It is kind of a hassle. I noted that on the brochure that all three vehicles have identical specs for GVWR and GCWR.
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Look in a Ca handbook, i believe it goes by model length and not actual. I read it not long ago and will look again later.