cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dropping Off in a Motorhome - DFW Airport

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not entirely sure where to ask this, so here we go.

I need to pick up and drop off a rental car at DFW from our 38' MH for use in Dallas. We're going down to pick up the rig, so we won't have a dinghy set up.

Can anyone in Dallas or someone that's done this tell me if it's possible to drop off and pick up at the airport rental car center?

Obviously, they drive the buses in there, but I'm not sure how they have it blocked off or routed. Don't want to get in there and get stuck. I figure I can park a couple of blocks away if needed.

Thanks in advance!
KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L, 6-speed
26 REPLIES 26

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
youth4him wrote:
Thanks all! I'll do some more checking today on possible car options for cars...including Love. We lived in DFW for a few years, but it's been 20 years, and we were out in the Garland/Mesquite area.

The RV park is in Grapevine, so I'll see what we can find. Enterprise was our first choice because of the "we'll pick you up" option, but the locations appear to be mostly at car dealerships, and every one that I checked was closed on Sunday.

I may be able to just get in on Sunday, and get the car picked up Monday morning at one of the locations, as was suggested.

Just a heads up have you talked to the RV park lately? I am assuming you are talking about The Vineyards campground. They were planning on getting part of the park opened on Memorial day but may be delayed because of the bad weather and flooding.I would definitely contact them to verify.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved...updated my car reservations in Dallas to pick up in Grapevine at the Toyota dealership. I may have them pick me up, or just use the MH to run over there, it's like 10 minutes from the RV park.
KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can go to the rental car area in a MH with no clearance issues. However, the airport can be a pain to get to and a pain to get around in, if you are unfamiliar with the layout. I strongly urge you to do as BB TX suggested. Enterprise, to mention just one, has many locations all over the DFW area. There is no need to get into that mess at the airport.

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! I'll do some more checking today on possible car options for cars...including Love. We lived in DFW for a few years, but it's been 20 years, and we were out in the Garland/Mesquite area.

The RV park is in Grapevine, so I'll see what we can find. Enterprise was our first choice because of the "we'll pick you up" option, but the locations appear to be mostly at car dealerships, and every one that I checked was closed on Sunday.

I may be able to just get in on Sunday, and get the car picked up Monday morning at one of the locations, as was suggested.
KD

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been a long time since I've been at DFW in a car, but don't assume you can get to any of the terminals because the buses can. Airport shuttle buses are built to the low clearances, motorhomes are not.

At DFW, it is going to depend on which rental car company. Most are off the airport premises. Many do not allow entrance by any private vehicles, so the closest you might get will be the security gate at the rental lot.

DFW is near Grapevine. It is not in Dallas, it is not in Fort Worth. Before someone decided to put the the airport out in the middle of nowhere, American Airlines used to fly from Dallas to Fort Worth. The only reason to go to DFW is to catch a flight, if you are going someplace that you can't get to from Love Field.

You don't need to go to DFW to rent a car in Dallas. There are rental companies around Love Field, downtown in Dallas, and in Fort Worth and Arlington, and probably some of the other large suburbs. Enterprise, in particular, has more than forty locations in Dallas and they will pick you up and drive you to their office. So your real problem is finding storage parking for your motorhome while you are running around Dallas in your rental car.

Stay away from the airports if you want a rental in Dallas. Especially stay away from DFW airport.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Drive the motorhome to your RV park on Sunday and call Enterprise on Monday if you say they aren't open on Sunday.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, there must be a rental agency away from the airport that is open on Sunday in the DFW area. Even Temecula CA has an Avis/Budget office open until noon on Sunday. That would be my first choice - we just used a one way rental to get to LAX for a flight out and one way return to Temecula returning the car on Memorial Day in Temecula. We were gone for a long time and parking would have cost us much more than the two rentals.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
There isn't any such thing as the "couple of blocks away" that you mentioned.
He beat me to it... That airport is 10 miles wide in all directions. Call the rental agency and talk to them DIRECT. Do NOT talk to the regional rental phone bank.

Or better... Call Enterprise. They will come get you in both directions if necessary
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the same thing, and possibly true, but NO other options on a Sunday.

We are staying about 15 minutes from DFW in an RV park. I think the easiest and cheapest solution will be all Uber or Uber and DART.

Thanks for the great advice! No coaches at the airport!
KD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the others, rent at someplace other than the airport. Some airports charge rental car companies (and the rental car companies pass the charge on to you) an extra convenience fee or airport tax, so a rental car from some other rental place may be less costly as well as less hassle.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
youth4him wrote:
I wasn't very clear in my original post. We are buying the motorhome in Tulsa, driving to Dallas, and we need a vehicle in Dallas. So we need to pick up a vehicle at the rental center
at DFW airport, so we can get around while were in town, and we will return it before we drive the motorhome back to Montana.

Where are you staying in the area? I would call enterprise or use a rental agency near where you are staying. Let me know details so I can give you better advise. I live on the west side of the airport. You DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE YOUR NEW TO YOU MOTOR HOME INTO THE AIRPORT. Yes they have shuttle busses but they are the more compact short wheelbase busses.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
youth4him wrote:
I wasn't very clear in my original post. We are buying the motorhome in Tulsa, driving to Dallas, and we need a vehicle in Dallas. So we need to pick up a vehicle at the rental center
at DFW airport, so we can get around while were in town, and we will return it before we drive the motorhome back to Montana.

Definitely look at alternate rental locations. The major rental companies have locations all over the area including all the DFW surburbs. Would be much less hassle than the airport.

Enterprise advertises they will bring the car to you. Where are you staying?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
youth4him wrote:

There are other rental places in Texas other than the airport to pick up your car. I certainly wouldn't get in the airport congestion with the motorhome just to rent a car.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
KD