cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy mode on an Allison Transmission

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there is any benefit to turning on Economy mode while using cruise control on a highway? If I've got the cruise control turned on at 64 miles per hour, will economy mode help?

What about after I've had to slow down for a vehicle in front of me? Will economy mode make a difference vs. the cruise controls acceleration?

Is economy mode better for city driving?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
45 REPLIES 45

MrWizard
on my 1995 DP
the button says "MODE"
nothing about economy and it does not improve fuel mileage
it does change shift points, it up shifts sooner
i use mode when i'm not driving on the interstate
when on interstate highways.. i do not use it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"holstein13".....Economy Mode on your King Aire will be of very little value. In reality, it only helps coaches that are underpowered. If you have a coach with a enough power that can run through rolling hills in 6th gear, using Economy Mode won't change anything.
I suspect you are correct. I've tried it several times and noticed no difference.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn , is there a push button just below the red circle in your diagram ?
( just to the right of the 'R' button )
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your engine.

Hard to impossible to get my isb or other low powered engines into 6th without economy mode. measurable difference in mpg for those engines from my experience.

Hills and passing better without economy mode imo. YMMV on this issue.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"holstein13".....Economy Mode on your King Aire will be of very little value. In reality, it only helps coaches that are underpowered. If you have a coach with a enough power that can run through rolling hills in 6th gear, using Economy Mode won't change anything.

Some of the older coaches with 275 HP to maybe 330 HP may benefit slightly by holding a gear longer on a grade. Even then, I doubt that you would ever see a measurable mileage increase.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
GlennLever wrote:
I have an Allison World transmission. The shift panel has an economy display in the upper right position.

This is in a 1997 American Dream.

I have no idea how to active or deactive that mode.

Any ideas?

yes push the mode button just below the Economy word you circled .. the light should come on. You must do this ea time you start .. it resets to "normal " mode ea time Or pushing mode again turns it off.
Bill

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
It does not hold the transmission in a higher gear. It delays the shift point which is why it is recommended for use in rolling terrain. Other than rolling terrain it is of marginal value. In other than rolling terrain, i.e., the mountains the recommendation is to turn it off. For the best explanation of this topic contact Brett Wolfe.
Fox

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Allison World transmission. The shift panel has an economy display in the upper right position.

This is in a 1997 American Dream.

I have no idea how to active or deactive that mode.

Any ideas?

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
economy only changes the shift points in my understanding .. it shifts "sooner" keeping the rpms lower ( less acceleration)

That is my understanding.

I wish economy mode was the default. I try to switch it on after shifting to Drive.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing is that if you need to drop a gear to pass it doesn't downshift very readily so you might need to shut it off in those instances or manually drop a gear.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I only have a few hundred miles on my MH, but I also found it switch gear less often. So I just keep it in eco. all the time.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 is right on. If not in economy mode, my tranny will "hunt" on rolling hills trying to decide if it wants to be in 5th or 6th gear. For that reason, I run in economy mode all the time unless I need a little more acceleration. When trying to merge onto the interstate, I'll shift out of economy mode.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does a couple of things. It doesn't shift any quicker but it holds the tranny in the highest gear to a lower RPM allowing you to lug the engine for better fuel economy. It also prevents constant shifting on rolling hills.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take it out on hwy and PUSH the button.

You know you want to.....so try it out. See what it does.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to shift to lower RPM when going on a small hill, as when you get onto an overpass, with the eco on, it will not shift down as soon with the cruise on.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.