cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Oil

BAMAchubby
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know what kind of oil is put into a 2014 Coachmen Mirada. I do not know if it is regular oil or synthetic. Does it matter if I switch it to regular oil. Is there a place in the coach that says it? I looked in manual and did not see it anywhere. Thanks for the help.
29 REPLIES 29

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
5w-30 was factory before they were persuaded to recommend 5w-20 for a fuel mileage increase (ya right) and the 30w will withstand the heat of HD MH use better.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Idahosrt10
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use any oil other than 5w-20! Motorcraft semi-synthetic is factory fill. Using a heaver weight oil will compromise engine protection.
2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley wrote:
In my 2003 F53 I use Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic as suggested by Ford. I have my oil tested by Blackstone Labs. The last test was over 6,800 miles. It used 1 quart over that period.
Every time I use 5w-20 in mine I use a qt in 3-4000 miles. With 5w-30 it doesn't use any. That tell you something?
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that total synthetic oil and regular oil are 100% compatible. Not only can you switch to one or the other, you can even add one to the other if the oil level is low. This means that whatever was put in the engine by Ford, as long as you put the recommended weight oil in the engine, the choice is totally up to you.

Ed Headington

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2003 F53 I use Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic as suggested by Ford. I have my oil tested by Blackstone Labs. The last test was over 6,800 miles. It used 1 quart over that period. All tests and viscosity were within range and they suggested going to 9,000 miles on the next change.

Wear metals look great. Iron is up quite a bit from last time, but as you probably know, that metal will track
with miles on the oil and this level is fine for 6,800 miles. If there are any mechanical issues, they aren't showing
themselves in these numbers. The oil is free of fuel and coolant and the air and oil filters had no trouble keeping up. Try
9,000 miles on the next oil.

This was with a lot of mountain driving in the west pulling a Jeep Cherokee.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
BAMAchubby wrote:
Anyone know what kind of oil is put into a 2014 Coachmen Mirada. I do not know if it is regular oil or synthetic. Does it matter if I switch it to regular oil. Is there a place in the coach that says it? I looked in manual and did not see it anywhere. Thanks for the help.

Open hood. little to left of center oil type is on cap. 5w-20. Use Ford oil. My 2012 F53 chassis takes full 8 qts with filter. My F250 PU V10 takes 7 qts. Who knows why.

The OP asked what type of oil, not the weight.

Ray

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would assume a 2014 is still under warranty? Then I would recommend doing what the owner's manual says and using the products the owner's manual says to use. After any warranty runs out, then experiment with different oils.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you read your owners' manual? If you don't have one, a dealer would give you all the info you need. Just bring the VIN# to him. Won't even charge you for the info!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
It won't hurt your engine to switch over to synthetic oil from regular motor oil! I did it it my coach when it was brand new many years ago. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30W with the gold cap on the silver bottle it's extended range motor oil. My coach is very similar to yours you should change oil using Mobil 1 once a year or every 7,500 whatever comes first! Happy Trails

Explorer
Explorer
The 5w-20 recommendation must be a carry over from the cars where it is used to maximize the EPA mpg test. I would never use it in an engine that works as hard as a gas engine in a MH. At a minimum, I would recommend a synthetic 5w-30. I use Mobil 1 5w-40 oil in my V10.

The advantages of a good synthetic include not shearing down (a 5w-30 oil becoming a 5w-20 oil) with usage; the ability to handle the higher operating temps common in a MH without breaking down and coking the engine; and the ability to not have to change oil in the middle of a long trip.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
BAMAchubby wrote:

Open hood. little to left of center oil type is on cap. 5w-20. Use Ford oil. My 2012 F53 chassis takes full 8 qts with filter. My F250 PU V10 takes 7 qts. Who knows why.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Page 297 This is the third printing manual on Ford site.

7 qts, 5w20

Look on the oil fill cap also.

I am reading from the OP that this is a 2014 new vehicle. So why would you state to use a high mileage oil in a new warranty engine. Over 60 vehicles come from the factory with pure synthetic as a factory fill and Ford is listed as one of them. The part# list on page 297 converts to full synthetic Ford motor oil.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford F53 Chassis Manual...........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
if it has, I won't go back to reg. oil. need to find out from the motor manufacturer

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Use Castrol High Mileage oil, it is part synthetic and part regular oil. It is the best at a descent price. Full synthetic oil is not normally put in by the mfgr. in most vehicles.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity