cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firearms in RV's

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hand gun in my house. I do not have a concealed carry permit so I only keep it at home. Last winter while in Florida the subject came up. One guy carries a pistol in his motor home. He claimed that since a motor home is considered a second home it is legal in all states. I do not plan to pack heat in the motor home, just wondered if anybody knows anything about this?
41 REPLIES 41

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
vic46 wrote:
kalsbeek wrote:
Two Jayhawks
Canada does not have your gun problem so please do not come here if you think this is where you need it. Use you gun in the USA please.

He said rethink if crossing our border. Your comment is truly out of line!

I think a misunderstanding happened here. I think Jayhawk was indicating his respect for our laws, not disrespect.

I do not read it as an indication of respect.

All
My comment was meant to say don't think about trying to cross the Canadian border with a fire arm. What part of my post was confusing?

I don't know the answer to your question but I will add many RVers carry a fire arm for protection. In my own travels the only time I would want to re think having one on board is if I was crossing the border into Canada. Otherwise I never even think about it.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Boot_Strap
Explorer
Explorer
When I first arrived in Texas while full time rving in my travel trailer, my Texas municipal cop friend informed me that even as I carried an Illinois drivers license I was still in compliance with the law in keeping a loaded handgun in my glove box. Since then I've become a resident of Texas and currently travel with multiple firearms in my trailer one reason being we have no other home. As many of us can say we've camped in some remote places and I refuse to be a victim under any circumstance. I'm no fanatic by any means but if you are a law abiding citizen and are concerned with the safety of you and yours then you may want to consider bringing it. I'd hate to be in a situation that I needed my firearm for protection and left it at home as a paperweight on my desk. I've since obtained my ccl from Texas so rest a bit more comfortably.
Nicole and Dan
3 rescue dogs. Poodle mix, jack Russell mix, German Shepherd
2015 Heartland North Trail 30rkdd.
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 18's on nitto tg's. Cold air intake
Full time since 9/12. Mid to upper 30's. modest budget

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone needs to come up with a app that's very loud of a shell being racked into a pump shotgun. Having Clint say "Make my day" might not be a good idea.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh Lord! We've gone from redneck shooting to bible thumping !!!.....:B:B:B...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t tell any body whats on board,

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
randallb wrote:
I wish you luck with your legal battles. When that person you shoot is bleeding or worse, dead, in a public place: campsite, rest stop or parking lot you will have plenty of time to think about all the money you saved not letting that scumbag steal your stuff. Not to mention the emotional trauma you will cause yourself and others.
Randy Bergen

This opinion is not logical. Better dead than the Perp?
It is no fun taking another's life but if the options are being raped, beaten to death or killed with a weapon or watching your wife being done the same I'll do what is necessary and deal with any trauma.Not There is no guilt in defending your life nor does the Bible impose any.
Constantine changed thou shall not murder to thou shall not kill to help subjugate newly converted Christians.
As you walk or muddle through life it is best to count to ten and think.
The logical and wise thing is to protect yourself and family. No one else is going to be able to do it most of the time.
As far as politics we have no control over Mexico, nor Canada. You make you choices based on what you are limited to do.
You can take long arms into Canada and Mexico but you have to paperwork and they are never allowed for defense. Costa Rico and others allow you to carry but the process is sometimes cumbersome for Foreigners.
I have talked with several Canadian who carry in the states and have firearms in Canada. In Alberta I have seen firearms on their hips.
But I'm not up on their Laws. Ontario and east seems a totally different world and BC.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
As far as legality the answer will vary from state to state and in some places county to county within the state.

Do not come to NY with a handgun unless you are literally traveling through the state to get somewhere where you can legal possess it. And if you are doing that it should be unloaded and stored in the trunk of the vehicle or if no truck somewhere where it is not readily accessible.

In NYS no handgun possession anywhere unless you have a NYS license or you're LE or as mentioned, you're traveling through.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a small revolver and kept the cylinder loaded and in a totally separate location than the gun frame.
bumpy

MrWizard
retiredtravelers2013 wrote:
Sorry for almost having started a civil war. That was not my intention. As I mentioned 3 times already, I have no plans to bring a firearm in my
MH, I was merely wondering what the laws are.

as moderators we have too deal with the fall out from careless questions on sensitive subjects

why ask an idle question on a sensitive subject , IF you have no interest in doing this
on s subject like this, it might be perceived as trolling

some see the need to be prepared, others do not and think the police will be there to protect them

but it is always a HOT topic
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Where we normally camp there are wild animals.
4 legged, not 2 legged.
Bears, moose, assorted sizes of cats, (from feral house cats to cougars), skunks and racoons that may be rabid (but probably not), rattle snakes, and other dangerous critters.
Yes, I just might have a fire arm (or two, or more) of some kind in the motorhome. I have been known to carry a .45LC revolver in a hip holster while fishing some streams way back in the boonies.
Open carry is legal here.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
Canada and Mexico do not allow handguns. period. automatic confiscation and jailtime

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
vic46 wrote:
kalsbeek wrote:
Two Jayhawks
Canada does not have your gun problem so please do not come here if you think this is where you need it. Use you gun in the USA please.

He said rethink if crossing our border. Your comment is truly out of line!

I think a misunderstanding happened here. I think Jayhawk was indicating his respect for our laws, not disrespect.

I do not read it as an indication of respect.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for almost having started a civil war. That was not my intention. As I mentioned 3 times already, I have no plans to bring a firearm in my
MH, I was merely wondering what the laws are.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those of you that have chosen to exercise your freedom in the USA and legally carry a weapon, there are companies that provide an insurance similar to CoachNet to cover 100% of the legal costs(civil and criminal) if you legally have to use your weapon. The cost for this insurance is minimal and it gives you an 800 number to obtain legal consul anywhere in the USA 24/7. Just do an internet search. I do not leave home without it.