cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Will try and post what the system left out:
On your overhang/upper birth. The 2x framing gets it strength from the 1/4" plywood skin on ether side. The wood 2x ack as a frame holding the ply. Plywood in a tear, is a bugger to do, even 1/4". Try putting in a vice and ripping straight down. Google "Torsion Box", as an example of strength. So, on your overhead make the inside and outside skin of this sides, to extend back into the side as far as possible per sheet. Lapping past the cat-a-lever vertical lower Do not just cut this size on front proportion only !!!
Monel staples are water resistant. Hard to find.
Lexan, the Polycarbonate Thermoplastic is a very tough material. It can be formed into a forever waterproof corner bracket (reinforcer) cut to length & width. By use of a small propane torch, lightly, repeatedly passed over bending edge & using a vice or two vice grips. Drills great, cut with a 60 tooth carbide blade. 1/4" thickness is what I settled for. STRONG>>WATERPROOF
John H

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac, Just got wind of your, how should I put it,...."Project", "Task"", Effort".! Would any of those be putting it into the wright heading ???Like everyone, I as a late comer, hardly congratulate you on putting your will & wallet to the rebirth of the.... Dodge.
On my rebuild, some of the ideas I used you have already gone past. so if any of these ideas are of any help.
Tape joints between the solid type insulation & the wood framing. Seal out wind intrusion.
Tyvek, is a house wrap that lets water vapor out but is waterproof from the outside. Wrap sides/front & back just inside of outside aluminum skin.'.
Pella the window company, makes a 1/16"t. x 3"w. peal back very sticky rubberized waterproof tape, they use to seal vertical joints on new inserted window construction. Use this to cover the raw wood framing of the windows, lapping over slightly on & down the inside/outside skin. Sealing the raw wood framing opening from water penetration later, as the RV windows are sandwich together from both sides. No screw penetration threw Pellas membrane.
Sikaflex is a VERY< VERY good flexible sealant, comes in a large construction type tubes if you like. Very sticky, be prudent here.
On your overhang/upper birth. The 2x framing gets it strength from the 1/4" plywood skin on ether side. The wood 2x ack as a frame holding the ply. Plywood in a tear, is a bugger to do, even 1/4". Try putting in a vice and ripping straight down. Google "Torsion Box", as an example of strength. So, on your overhead make the inside and outside skin of this sides, to extend back into the side as far as possible per sheet. Lapping past the cat-a-lever vertical lower Do not just cut this size on front proportion only !!!
Monel staples are water resistant. Hard to find.
Lexan, the Polycarbonate Thermoplastic is a very tough material. It can be formed into a forever waterproof corner bracket (reinforcer) cut to length & width. By use of a small propane torch, lightly, repeatedly passed over bending edge & using a vice or two vice grips. Drills great, cut with a 60 tooth carbide blade. 1/4" thickness is what I settled for. STRONG>>WATERPROOF
Tidebond 3, is a very good water proof, & economical exterior glue. If clampt tight & allowed to cure.
Spray a waterproof sealant over wood before applying insulation. and over 1/4" skin. There is a water base polly., no odor, dry fast, easy water clean up, pretty good polly & wood sealant.
On the fancy corner trim that has that arc rubber insert. Use SS screws when installing, seal these screw holes, use Eternbond below on exposed joint before putting on the metal part of trim over.
Enough for now hope this can help you.........John
John H

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
PapPappy wrote:
Spectramac wrote:
No updates yet. I had to stop progress to get ready for Labor Day weekend. I've almost got the old 12 foot camper ready for the trip that I never thought it was going to have to make. 🙂

Have a great weekend! I'm gonna have to work this year, but have plans for later in September...and it will be a little cooler too!:)

As you may have noticed...we're all waiting for the updates! But, we'll let you have the weekend off....after all, it's a National Holiday!!:B

What??????????????? You aren't done yet ..:B ?? Just slap a little PERMABOND on it, heck, that should fix it up right there!!!!!!!!!!!:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
No updates yet. I had to stop progress to get ready for Labor Day weekend. I've almost got the old 12 foot camper ready for the trip that I never thought it was going to have to make. 🙂

Have a great weekend! I'm gonna have to work this year, but have plans for later in September...and it will be a little cooler too!:)

As you may have noticed...we're all waiting for the updates! But, we'll let you have the weekend off....after all, it's a National Holiday!!:B
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer

Malcolm

Ripsnort
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
You're kidding... They have rain in that area? :h

We like to call it "liquid sunshine". My webbed feet just started going back to normal after a pretty good summer but then the rains came again. 😞

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
You're kidding... They have rain in that area? :h
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
It's a bit rainy around here lately for outdoor work.

jones4110
Explorer
Explorer
any updates??:h
Joan and Bruce
05 Excursion 39L