cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
OK Mal,
I assume that you have finally moved in.....and sitting at a new desk, reading this thread......

Where the heck are those pictures you promised:?

You should know by now, that we have to see pictures.....and even a shot of the Dodge in the shed would be something...:B

And since you are practically a professional demolition guy:B We'd love to see the progress of tearing out the old home........oh, and you may find that you've got some stuff you can use in the RV?? 🙂

So start posting some pictures........
Don't make us get nasty:S
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
LOL....Everyone should have at lest one Old Dodge to work on.:B
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

bryan_h
Explorer
Explorer
I can't wait to see the project start back up. Hopefully soon.

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
teardown is free. clean up sometime, rebuild priceless...hehehehe we just here waiting for it to start again..lol

mrfixit454
Explorer
Explorer
Oh... more demolition photos....
2012 Lance 830 w/Tent Option
2006 2500 Dodge Ram Megacab, Cummins, Auto.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to say that you did a heck of a job on the MH......made it look like a regular home....even think I saw the wheels under it.....but then I read that that was the new house, not the old Dodge:B

I was also beginning to think that maybe you had found some money from one of those robberies up in the northwoods......who was that guy who jumped out of the plane? After all, it wasn't all that long ago, you were out of work.....I'd be afraid to get so much deeper in debt....but then again, you had the balls to tear that Dodge apart to:B

I can't wait to see the demolition photos of the old home....:S
The Pets

mrfixit454
Explorer
Explorer
Great summary Malcolm I understand it now.. what a great ride. The book reference is a classic. I must have read that book a 100 times to my 3 and 6 year olds over the past few years. They are great books 😉

Maybe you could write a book about it! ?????

Ramon

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Malcolm - I've been following this thread since its inception. Your recap made me think of the kids books I used to read to my kids when they were little - your story fits perfectly.

"If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"
"If You Give A Pig A Pancake"
"If You Give A Moose A Muffin"

and others by Laura Numeroff http://www.lauranumeroff.com/
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's been a crazy few years. We bought the old motorhome for $100 a few towns away and drove it home, only had to put a charged battery in it. I got it stripped down to the floor and realized that the monsoons were coming so I bought one of those Costco style canopies to cover it up. That's when I realized it wasn't tall enough to put up the walls and roof so I started the shed project. The shed (like everything else) seemed way easier until I was hip deep in it a year later finishing the roof! :B Once I got it do ne enough to put the RV I moved it in there and breathed a sigh of relief. About halfway through the shed, work dried up and I went on unenjoyment for a while. We also had a finacial shake up at home. The wife was at her wits end and had run up some bills I didn't know about. Nothing too serious as it turns out, but enough to make us think of things we hadn't before. We refinaced the place and cashed out our equity and were able to get a construction loan to do the shop and house. The old mobile was a 1980 vintage and was falling apart around us. Now we'll get to dismantle that in the yard, my neighbors thought the RV teardown was messy!! :B
Malcolm

You guys wanna have some fun with this thread?

Go back to page one, read the original post, and then flip through ALL the pages all the way to this one, looking at the progression of all the pictures. :B And don't miss any! Look at every single page and watch the progression from an intact MH to the dis-assembly to the fix-ups to the shed growing to completion from nothing and now to the new house and garage:B

I just did that, every page - what a hoot! I didn't read much, just watched the picture story.

Try it, you'll like it. 🙂
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

mrfixit454
Explorer
Explorer
Malcolm,
Maybe you can catch us up on the big picture here as there are many pages to the post. You were rebuilding the Monaco, then built a cover for it, then needed to put in a garage and now a house? Wasn't there a house on the property to begin with? Are you just adding more living quarters to your property? Its a very beautiful home. We looked at some of those at a home show years back and they do some real nice things with them these days. My buddy at work bought one for his retirement home a quite a few acres in AZ. He just loves it.

Have fun getting her all setup.

Fixit

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
We ran thru it a few times tonight drooling on all the space and fancy stuff inside. There's still a few days of setup involved, but I'll take some shots when they let us back in "officially". 🙂
Malcolm

bryan_h
Explorer
Explorer
you need to show off the interior lol, very nice house. Those things are great my wife and I plan on moving back to AZ and getting one when I get out of the army.

pointbrze
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. . . very nice!
Me - Cindy
Sonny (Toy Poodle)
CoCo (LhasaPoo)

2010 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2501SS
2007 Tundra V8, 5.7L, P2 brake controller

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
The house finally arrived today. The wife and kid are beside themselves. :B

When you've got them beside themselves......it's a good time to take a picture!!:B:B
The Pets