cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze dried foods

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you carry the freeze dried foods on your trips? Seems like, if they are any good, would make cooking in a b-van a breeze. Or at least something different and easy to prepare on occasion.

I see them here: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Just-Case-Assortment/dp/B00955DUHQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&...

Not exactly cheap, but could be worth it.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans
15 REPLIES 15

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
VERY high sodium content.

Metaphor_7182
Explorer
Explorer
or make your own. Big benefit, no sodium and very cost effective.
Side benny good smells when dehydrating. :W
Starter vid from a backpacker, there are several and all very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_7627&feature=iv&src_vid=J3iYj025fcg&v=hu1-9DkmUKI

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't hurt to have them on hand.

If you want real tasty freeze dried and prepared foods check out your local big box camping store. Gander Mountain has a real big selection of very good tasting packaged camping/hiking food AND a plethora of incredible seasonings that are out of this world. I'm sure Bass Pro, Dick's and the like would also have a good selection too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We aren't much for freeze-dried foods,, but last summer picked up a six pack of hash browns at Costco and they are really good. Each package is similar to a pint-sized milk carton and all you do is add water, wait a few minutes then toss them in the frying pan. Actually enough for two breakfasts for two people, the quantity that you don't cook at first can stay in the fridge for several days with no problem.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with a full complement of freeze dried food, fruit, vegetables, meat, chicken etc. also liquids in UHT packaging.

We use this brand:
Freeze dry

Ideal for our type of RV travelling.

No worries if our fridge fails, lightweight easy storage.
If you learn to use it properly a full course meal is easy.
We always have fresh food, just add some water.

All the basic foods have no additives.

We use it at home also.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Fiverwheel wrote:
The Wise Company carries a line called "grab and go" which are as good as can be made from scratch. We carry Wise, MRE's from longlifefoods.com and Mountain house. All of these can add to your fresh foods to make some really quick and delicious meals.

That was kinda what I was thinking - maybe one of these packs as an entree and adding some fresh bread and a piece of fruit.

You have to do some eating out though, here and there. I mean, who goes to Maryland and doesn't get crab cakes at least once?

I'm not open to anything that is like Ramen noodles - I did that too much in college and will NEVER eat those again. Same with anything that is like soup. You can always get tins of soup if that is what you want to eat.

Price on these things seems to be about $5-6 a pack, which are supposedly enough for two people. So while not the cheapest way possible to eat, it's certainly cheaper than even a fast food restaurant.

I agree with the comment on watching your sodium. But that goes for any packaged, processed or restaurant foods. They are all loaded with it. So reading labels is key. I can only assume some are better than others with regards to sodium.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
KK&R wrote:
A likely somewhat cheaper alternative are the Indian meals in a pouch in your grocery store. Just toss in a pan of boiling water for five minutes and voila!, dinner. I find the different brands vary a bit and tend to prefer the lentils- and potatoes-oriented meals. The pouch meals require more water, but if you need to conserve, you could still (re)use it--you only use it to boil and warm your dinner.

My DH loves these, bought and brought them along cause my meals are too boring for him.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
The Wise Company carries a line called "grab and go" which are as good as can be made from scratch. We carry Wise, MRE's from longlifefoods.com and Mountain house. All of these can add to your fresh foods to make some really quick and delicious meals.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I will look at it as a backup on longer trips rather than eating out so much. At least half of the restaurant meals we have turn out to be very disappointing. We try to read reviews online but in certain areas choices are limited. This might get us away from that rut. Eating out is so expensive - we prefer to eat in the RV anyway.

KK_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have Mountain House, but only for backpacking. They are not too expensive and very easily prepared. I like most of the entrees and breakfasts. All the scrambled egg dishes I've had were very good (although I am backpacking). Desserts are way too sweet for me.

A likely somewhat cheaper alternative are the Indian meals in a pouch in your grocery store. Just toss in a pan of boiling water for five minutes and voila!, dinner. I find the different brands vary a bit and tend to prefer the lentils- and potatoes-oriented meals. The pouch meals require more water, but if you need to conserve, you could still (re)use it--you only use it to boil and warm your dinner.
KK&R
2004/03 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It depends on the situation. Off the grid for a week with no water except what I bring along, I might choose canned food because it already has the water in it (watch out for the sodium). Closer to town, fresh is nice if available. I haven't used freeze-dried meals due to cost.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

gonetothedogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I have always found the sodium content of freeze dried foods rather high, and I do better with a limited amount.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
My diet is yogurt, fresh veggies, fruit, cheese and meat. I buy as I go. My only freeze dried is this fabulous garlic in a jar. I try to eat very simply and nearly the same thing every day so I keep my weight down. This last trip I did cook up buffalo hamburger, ate elk steak and a Yak burger at a restaurant.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got introduced to the freeze dried foods on my tent camping trips in the 70s and 80s... Carried over to my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer trips.

Some of that is pretty good stuff.. We too pick out what we like...

A real treat... They seem to be available most everywhere too...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS