Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs Diesel

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, looking for some opinions.

Been out of RVing for several years and looking to get back in the game. I had several travel trailers and fifth wheels over the years but I want a Class A this time. Staying pretty basic and under $70,000.00.
So here is the question, older diesel pusher or new gas burner?
My research indicates I can get a 2006-2008 diesel pusher or a 2011-2013 gas coach in the target price range.
Most of our trips will be towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and in the 5-7 hour range.

Three units under consideration are:
2007 Coachmen Pathfinder - 50,000 miles, Genset has 1900 hrs, tires are DOT dated 2011
2005 Beaver Monterey - 30,000 miles Genset has 600 hours tires are DOT dated 2008 and need to be replaced
2013 Coachmen Mirada - 3000 miles Genset has 115 hours.
All three coaches are priced with between $65k and $68K

Thoughts, comments, suggestions of any kind appreciated.
89 REPLIES 89

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Update, looks like the Beaver got away from me.... when I went back to the dealer on Tuesday he had a deposit on it and the guy is supposed to be by today to pick it up. Dealer did say they deal had a trade and if the trade was overstated it might be back on the market. Thanks for all the comments, back to the drawing board......looking for a Diesel, not the best time of the year to be looking.....coachmen's are still available -- Point taken and made on that difference!

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel Hands down!
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad

Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
timmac wrote:
In the long run gas will be cheaper to maintain.

Ah, No. Based on the typical million miles the diesel can run.

But the house part will be toast long before that. :S
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver, BEAVER! A really quality coach that you will be proud to drive and will love the ride.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Right. I don't have chauffeur neither 😄
How much plug change cost on gasser those days?
Last time I had one it was like $200 labour and recommended every 25k miles. Platinium plugs and ceramic cables were not cheap neither.

25,000 miles to replace spark plugs, what year of a gasser is that 1945, Fords V-10 can go up to 100,000 but 85,000 miles is better.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Speedco is a nationwide Jiffy lube for trucks. They have an app that will tell you the nearest Speedco location.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I would think oil change on the diesel will run close to $400, whereas the gas would probably still be around $100,.

Lot of myths.
Synthetic oils cost $20-25 those days.
2 gallons for gasser, 4 for smaller diesel, 7 gallons for monsters.
Even if the gasser filter is $10 cheaper, average oil/filter for diesel is $100 v/s $50 for gasser.
Than diesels usually run longer on the oil. My oldie Detroit allow 100,000 oil intervals on dino oils.

One of those myths is synthetic oil costing $20-25. I can buy all kinds of Mobil 1 oils for $6-7 a quart. Do the math using a gasser's oil capacity vs a diesel's.

While the internals of a diesel are stout, turbos and injection pump problems (besides radiators) can cost as much as a whole engine overhaul on a gas------------and today's gas engines will outlast the house portion of the MH.

To the OP, it's a big purchase and decision. The price on the Beaver seems cheap--------get it inspected by someone that knows what to look for. And look at some gassers from Winnebago/Itasca and Newmar.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Sez Hoo! wrote:
My last oil change was done outside Denver at a Speedco.
Ah cool thanks. I hadn't heard of them but they are in my neck of the woods.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
On average when I pay for someone to do my oil change 7 Gallons of Rotella T and that includes the coolant additive/filter and two filters on my fuel system I've paid from $250-$375. and that is done about every 7k miles. The air filter is usually good for 30k miles. My last oil change was done outside Denver at a Speedco.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right. I don't have chauffeur neither 😄
How much plug change cost on gasser those days?
Last time I had one it was like $200 labour and recommended every 25k miles. Platinium plugs and ceramic cables were not cheap neither.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming you would do it yourself at that price. I would take it in to a service center.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
I would think oil change on the diesel will run close to $400, whereas the gas would probably still be around $100,.

Lot of myths.
Synthetic oils cost $20-25 those days.
2 gallons for gasser, 4 for smaller diesel, 7 gallons for monsters.
Even if the gasser filter is $10 cheaper, average oil/filter for diesel is $100 v/s $50 for gasser.
Than diesels usually run longer on the oil. My oldie Detroit allow 100,000 oil intervals on dino oils.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
bamaspiveys wrote:
Random Question - What is an Alfa RV? Can't find much on them but see several of them out there......

Definitely forget the Alfa. There's a reason you don't see many.

Check out this site for prices and floorplans. There's a Country Coach and Newmar Dutch Star in your price range....excellent manufacturers. We sold our Newmar through them in one month's time.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If the Beaver is in great condition in and out...that's the one.

Do any of them come with the service/maintenance records?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I would think oil change on the diesel will run close to $400, whereas the gas would probably still be around $100, but I don't know. (guess I will be finding out, as this is our first DP).

The problem I always have at the service shops is the upsell! It seems just for the wifes car oil change they want to flush everything, choke the filler with a bunch of B&G snake oil products to improve performance, and hand you a $1,200 bill everytime you come in. Its hard to get out of there with a standard oil change and filter anymore. When her last car hit 90,000 miles we had the transmission flushed, and it died within the next 500 miles and was nearly $4K for a transmission. There is a line to draw with preventative maintenance, especially with the products bragging about extended miles between service.