cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gun laws in New York

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Lake George next month. Ive been doing some research on New York gun laws and have determined that I can not carry my pistol in my motor home. It looks like when Im moving Im OK, but when parked Im in violation. Am I right? It also looks like Im ok with a shotgun. Any comments?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar
51 REPLIES 51

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
accsys wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hanko wrote:
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?

Are you sure???
Florida laws keep my carry permit status unobtainable except for a specific instance when it is required by law. In other words, any police running a standard license check will not find out about my carry permit. Michigan may be different but you should check with what their laws are about the confidentiality of carry permit holders.

Are you sure?? The Canadian Border Patrol knew I had a Florida CCP when they ran my plates entering the Yukon from Alaska inside passage. When we were waiting in line, one officer came down the line getting plate numbers and the first question asked when we got to the head of the line was "do you have a concealed carry permit?"

The Canadians were bluffing otherwise they would have no reason to ask that question about a carry permit. They assumned that since you were from Florida that you had a carry permit and that would give them a reason to hassle you. Read your paperwork that came with your carry permit. That information is confidential and cannot be obtained by looking at your license tag or driver's license.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
EV2 wrote:
tenn.vol. wrote:
I try NOT to travel to states that stifle my second amendments rights. tenn.

X2
Our group no longer travels to or in Cajifornia, Illinois or New York and our meetings have been moved to other states that are statistically safer and do not ignore the constitution. Do not miss them at all.

You can carry a gun in California in your motorhome, even if you are from out of state. Unloaded and locked up when on the road, but once you are set up in your campsite you can load it up and be legal. The problem with California is you couldn't (legally) bring a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, or a so called "assault weapon."

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Don't tell anyone it's there, keep it out of sight, and no one will have any reason to know...

Exactly. I just traveled through NY with a couple of firearms and had no problem. People act like the police stop everyone and shake them down for weapons if they are from out of state

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
In Michigan if they run your plate, they know if you have a carry permit, thats a fact.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hanko wrote:
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?

Are you sure???
Florida laws keep my carry permit status unobtainable except for a specific instance when it is required by law. In other words, any police running a standard license check will not find out about my carry permit. Michigan may be different but you should check with what their laws are about the confidentiality of carry permit holders.

Are you sure?? The Canadian Border Patrol knew I had a Florida CCP when they ran my plates entering the Yukon from Alaska inside passage. When we were waiting in line, one officer came down the line getting plate numbers and the first question asked when we got to the head of the line was "do you have a concealed carry permit?"
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:

Cops I know appreciate people with carry permits and are not looking to shake them down.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
I didn't think it was plate numbers that they run for this, it was driver's licenses.
bumpy

I don't know about other states, but running my Florida driver's license won't get my concealed carry info either.
In Florida, Carry permits are issued by the Dept. of Agriculture so any search of DMV records will not turn up the carry permit status.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
tenn.vol. wrote:

X2
Our group no longer travels to or in Cajifornia, Illinois or New York and our meetings have been moved to other states that are statistically safer and do not ignore the constitution. Do not miss them at all.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think it was plate numbers that they run for this, it was driver's licenses.
bumpy

tenn_vol_
Explorer
Explorer

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The easiest solution to the problem is to just leave your weapon at home. What is wrong with that?

Im just taking my shotgun, No way would I travel in todays society with out a some means of defense. Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:

I seriously doubt that such information would be available to a NY LEO after "running" your plate....

If I had to comply with every states gun laws I wouldn't own them. So don't ask, don't tell is the best policy IMHO.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest solution to the problem is to just leave your weapon at home. What is wrong with that?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I don't think that CA DMV has the information regarding CC permits tied to our license plates. I've never been asked if I am carrying. "IF", MI has that info in their DMV data base, that is not cause to stop you and search you or your vehicle.

As RLS7201 posted, I think you can carry a weapon in your vehicle when stored in accordance with Federal Law. If each state could limit your activities in such a manner as to stop you from traveling interstate and enjoying your freedoms, then we would have 50 separate countries and not one country divided into 50 states. I am not a LEO, lawyer or judge, I know that it is not legal for any state to restrict your constitutional rights.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hanko wrote:

Are you sure???

X2 Missouri.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson