Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! buying used RV in Vancouver BC Canada

GasCap9000
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys,

I am looking at buying a 2009 four winds majestic 19G ~160,000KM. asking price is $29,485. does this seem fair? I am looking to shave 20% off that, do you guys think that is realistic in the Canadian RV market?

I have no RV experience and this would be my first RV purchase. Could you guys give any insights on how to negotiate prices, what to look for in terms of

inspection - new tires/parts and should I get a different dealer to get the RV?

Price - 10 , 20, 30% off asking price?

is there anything I miss?

Thank you guys for all your inputs!
33 REPLIES 33

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have any advice to contribute. Just wanted to say welcome, cousin!
-Snowman9000
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Islandman wrote:
The 160,000 km referred to is just under 100,000 mi which isn't too high for a 6-7 year old unit. But as others have noted, it is high for the price they want, and stuff is going to wear out sooner that you may expect because of the relatively high use in the 6-7 year life.

Islandman is right,160,000 KM is about 99,420 miles and the price of $29,485 Canadian is aprox. $23.500 US at todays rates not a bad deal when you look at the Cruise America 19G in the US
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
The 160,000 km referred to is just under 100,000 mi which isn't too high for a 6-7 year old unit. But as others have noted, it is high for the price they want, and stuff is going to wear out sooner that you may expect because of the relatively high use in the 6-7 year life.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
GasCap9000 wrote:
Hello guys,

I am looking at buying a 2009 four winds majestic 19G ~160,000KM. asking price is $29,485. does this seem fair? I am looking to shave 20% off that, do you guys think that is realistic in the Canadian RV market?

I have no RV experience and this would be my first RV purchase. Could you guys give any insights on how to negotiate prices, what to look for in terms of

I have never seen an ex-rental for sale with "160,000 KMS". I would not even consider one. Rentals are well cared for and serviced too and Canadream has a lot of good ones with various mileages. Many rentals do not have awnings included nor onan generators. I have checked out several Canadream units and they are good to deal with and helpful. 160K isn't high for a diesel but for a 2009, I would personally, RUN!!!

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
GasCap9000 wrote:
Hello guys,

You said "160,000" kms. I know something about buying an ex-rental. Canadream has some good units and others too but that is very very high mileage for a rental. If it had 80K ok. They do service them well and have full records but this unit sounds 'suspicious' to me.
IMHO

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GasCap,

It is your money. I'd have everything inspected myself.

GasCap9000 wrote:
I just called Travco, They said they only do water leakage inspections. no Chassis or automotive. So looks like I would have to bring the RV to multiple shops to get EVERYTHING checked? is it necessary to get everything checked?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GasCap9000
Explorer
Explorer
I just called Travco, They said they only do water leakage inspections. no Chassis or automotive. So looks like I would have to bring the RV to multiple shops to get EVERYTHING checked? is it necessary to get everything checked?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GasCap,

Learn what you need before you go to a solar place. DIY can save 50% of the cost. If you can not DIY find an electrician who will install for you. Solar places want huge mark ups. Their labor rates are high and their expertise in general is low. The worst possible place to buy and install is an RV dealership.

Here is a simple flow chart.

Budget-->Energy Audit-->Battery bank size-->number of watts-->PWM or MPPT. What ever type of controller is chosen, make sure it has adjustable set points and a temperature probe that is on the battery.

One rule of thumb is between 60 and 150 watts of panels per 100 amp-hours of storage. The smaller the battery bank the higher the wattage needed (per 100 amp-hours). Here is a link to the rather special spreadsheet which includes an energy audit, that N8GS has created to help size solar battery charging systems!

Solar Spread Sheet by N8GS

For a nice explanation of solar, try this link:

Golden rules of solar

GasCap9000 wrote:
Solar panel is my top priority add-on. Will definitely get them to install one for me. Also because of the noisy level on solar panels NONE! I believe there are no quiet generators with my research...

Go west told me it is 5500 to install a generator... I am pretty sure a top solar setup will cost me about ~2500? Max Out
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
GasCap..you are about to enter the world of solar, batteries, inverters and stuff. You have to have a strong mind and a lot of patience.

Solar and generators...man, watch the battle lines get drawn.

My view...I have solar and love it. You need to know if you are wired for the juice. Again..Kevin can do that...tell you I mean. You will want two deep cycle batteries..there are many around. Go to Edmonds batteries and talk to them. Interstates are maybe the best in BC but man, pricey. And here is a truth...no matter how much you pay, you have to buy again after about 6 years. Another truth is...the plates in batteries are the thing and the costlier ones have the big plates. That translates into how long they last on a weekend or whatever. The furnace will kill your batts in about two hours. That fan is huge consumer. I use a couple of the small 600 inverters from London Drugs..have for years. Charge my camera, computer, drill and flashlights. I don't use the big power consumers.

Do NOT go to CDN Tire and buy the wee itty bitty solar panels. Shop around..check Lowes in Bellingham..you will want at least 250 watts on the roof. 250 is a lot, yes, but you live with clouds and trees. You need to be able to gather the solar. Get them properly installed and with that will go a controller that lives on the inside wall. Again...Kevin can help. But..you have to also consider inverters. They allow you to run say a microwave...eeewww yuck eeww..but, if that's your thing, you need one of those too. Again...shop via the Net. Here's a hint...parts and RV stuff cost like maybe a 1/3 in the US. Go figure. If you don't already have a mail box at Pt Roberts, you can get an account at one of the parcel receivers in Blaine or Sumas. They charge you 5 bucks to accept a parcel. You pay the duty and you are sooo far ahead of the game.

And yes...about $2,500.

A generator..an on-board is possible but they take up a whole bunch of your available storage. You 'could' get a 2000 Yamaha or Honda..same issue tho..you have to store them while traveling. Pretty much same costs too. Check..you'll see. We don't 'need' a big genny in BC...our A/C use is minimal.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

GasCap9000
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn0527 wrote:

Yes much, now keep in mid that I have to pay to get things installed. You may be one of those handy guys. I bought a Renogy 100 watt suitcase solar panel that I am very happy with, a plug and play to keep the house battery up. I like the solar so much that I want to get another panel put on my roof. Canadream will do it for $800.00 - 20%. I think that is a good price as I was at the RV show and their show prices were about $650 installed for a 120 watt. I was quoted $3200 for an installed generator. You can purchase a stand alone generator for less and that might be an option. I like the idea of solar better.

Lynn

Solar panel is my top priority add-on. Will definitely get them to install one for me. Also because of the noisy level on solar panels NONE! I believe there are no quiet generators with my research...

Go west told me it is 5500 to install a generator... I am pretty sure a top solar setup will cost me about ~2500? Max Out

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
GasCap9000 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
GasCap9000 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

thanks for recommending a inspection shop, I looked into a few shops and didn't know which one is reputable.

When do I I bring up independent inspection with the dealer? and if the inspection found parts needing to be replaced. i should negotiate with the dealer for them to fix anything to working condition?

I want to ask you to be sure you can afford this thing..not 'this' one, but any one. The buying is only the first step to a huge financial commitment. I am not asking for your financials...just asking that you understand what you are getting into. Filling the tank is well over $140.00 and you would need two or three fills to get to the Okanagan, say. And then you have to get back. If or when a fridge, furnace, hot water tank need replacing, you are looking at an easy grand..and more. I am not trying to scare you off purchasing. If you can afford to use it, it is truly one of the best ways to go. But...there are lots out there that get bought and then never move.

And...we haven't even touched on power yet...with a motorhome you have to have power. There are only 3 ways to do this..generator, solar or plug-in. The unit you are looking at was for the plug-in market. It won't have a generator..either built in or portable. You will need to think on this. If you too are going to plug-in, that means private RV campgounds. Not out in the boonies camp grounds (prov park ones). Yes, you will have A battery...you will need at least two for most weekends and even that is pushing it. If you go see Kevin at Travco...ask him about power. Don't tell him I said to..I am slow and stupid and he had to talk to me several time before I 'got it'.

Gary Haupt

affordability is not an issue, I am fine with money spent on gas. Definitely not on replacing big ticket items... That's why I would definitely want to get it inspected and try to get them to replace all small/big items if possible... I do understand that there will be yearly maintenance costs this I am also fine with.

I do wish to go to places that are more remote. Would installing Solar panels solve the power/battery issue? I heard installing solar is cheaper than installing generator.

Yes much, now keep in mid that I have to pay to get things installed. You may be one of those handy guys. I bought a Renogy 100 watt suitcase solar panel that I am very happy with, a plug and play to keep the house battery up. I like the solar so much that I want to get another panel put on my roof. Canadream will do it for $800.00 - 20%. I think that is a good price as I was at the RV show and their show prices were about $650 installed for a 120 watt. I was quoted $3200 for an installed generator. You can purchase a stand alone generator for less and that might be an option. I like the idea of solar better.

Lynn
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta

GasCap9000
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
GasCap9000 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

thanks for recommending a inspection shop, I looked into a few shops and didn't know which one is reputable.

When do I I bring up independent inspection with the dealer? and if the inspection found parts needing to be replaced. i should negotiate with the dealer for them to fix anything to working condition?

I want to ask you to be sure you can afford this thing..not 'this' one, but any one. The buying is only the first step to a huge financial commitment. I am not asking for your financials...just asking that you understand what you are getting into. Filling the tank is well over $140.00 and you would need two or three fills to get to the Okanagan, say. And then you have to get back. If or when a fridge, furnace, hot water tank need replacing, you are looking at an easy grand..and more. I am not trying to scare you off purchasing. If you can afford to use it, it is truly one of the best ways to go. But...there are lots out there that get bought and then never move.

And...we haven't even touched on power yet...with a motorhome you have to have power. There are only 3 ways to do this..generator, solar or plug-in. The unit you are looking at was for the plug-in market. It won't have a generator..either built in or portable. You will need to think on this. If you too are going to plug-in, that means private RV campgounds. Not out in the boonies camp grounds (prov park ones). Yes, you will have A battery...you will need at least two for most weekends and even that is pushing it. If you go see Kevin at Travco...ask him about power. Don't tell him I said to..I am slow and stupid and he had to talk to me several time before I 'got it'.

Gary Haupt

affordability is not an issue, I am fine with money spent on gas. Definitely not on replacing big ticket items... That's why I would definitely want to get it inspected and try to get them to replace all small/big items if possible... I do understand that there will be yearly maintenance costs this I am also fine with.

I do wish to go to places that are more remote. Would installing Solar panels solve the power/battery issue? I heard installing solar is cheaper than installing generator.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GasCap,

As Gary says, batteries don't have much power. Here is an example. A fully charged group 24 may have 80 amp-hours of which only 40 should ever be used.

40 amp hours would power one single 100 watt bulb for about 4 hours. Not very much is it?
Regards, Don

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
GasCap9000 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

I would just act like it is a foregone conclusion that you will take it for an inspection. Like you would a second hand car off a lot. Make an appointment to take if for a test drive....and when talking about when, mention that you will be having it looked at. If they say no...well then...that would be a giant no, from you, too. Unless..unless they are prepared to give you a written/signed warranty of a time period greater than 30 days. A warranty that addresses an inspection. They won't do that. So...for sure, no inspection, no deal.

As far as replacing worn items, unless the item isn't functioning, they won't be replacing a fridge, hot water system, furnace. If there is worn upholstery, you might get them to move on that and for sure, no body damage. Of course, if it was damaged they'd have fixed that before you ever laid eyes on it. Which is normal, eh...no shop is gong to sell an obviously damaged rig.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/